Sign in to follow this  
MadInventor

F350 High Lift mods, advice please

Hi all,

I've just got myself a high lift, and am planning to make myself a set of 4 links for it, and am looking for inspiration on how other people have done it. I'm aware of the JunFac conversion, which is a nice design, but a bit pricey for me as it's not too difficult to replicate the design myself. Also I plan to use the kit included axle mounts to save making my own, and am just looking for ideas on any alternative mounting positions etc. I could also use some advice on what length shocks I'm going to need, again, looking for some tidy shocks that won't break the bank :), and also some good quality rod ends.

Thanks.

Traxxas 'Revo' rod ends are good; http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-rod-ends-large-with-hollow-balls/rc-car-products/20507

They take M4 threaded rod

DuBro also make some good ones, not sure how easy they are to get in UK though, I used to import 'em from Thundertech

Couple of pics of them here; http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25138&hl=studding

The High Lift is not a good 4 Link Rig. The layout does not allow for many mounting options and the weight makes it roll around like a full size van with worn springs and bad shocks. All you really need to do with a High Lift is add some lift blocks, spacers for the box mount and flip the cab mount brackets upside down. Add some 2.2 Tires and there are few places it cant go that 4 linked rigs can. And if you find your twisting the rear axle while pushing/pulling a ladder bar setup is super easy to do. Such a setup should work with the stock shocks which are nicer than you think. If you want something different check out the GMade piggy backs or Duratrax Evader ST (Model Name not style) shocks.

Here is a old pic of my High Lift.

MVC-117F.jpg

Well if anyone can do a modded four link high lift it is you madinventor :). Have seen several four links and they look amazing even longer wheelbase and clod wheels and tyres. Go for it I say B).

Might be better with Traxxas T Maxx #2742 rod ends as they are m3 and not m4 which are overkill for a 1:10 scale truck. M4 dubro are a pain as once they are on the threads they are difficult to get off again without weakening the rod ends. M3 is the way to go just easier to deal with.

Here are some m3 rc4wd links with m3 rod ends on my Bullhead.

post-37416-0-55916200-1391782964_thumb.j

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still trying to decide what to do with it atm, whether to go for a mostly stock truck with 4 links, or go for the 'Mad' option, which includes:

4 links, plus another set of walking beams like I did for my 6x6 to make it 6wd (I used a F350 axle on my 6x6),, but a bit longer to accommodate lunch box size tyres all round and lose the rear body altogether, modifying the rear transfer case so that it protrudes less far below the bulk of the gearbox like I did with the king hauler box on the 6x6, and modify the front gearbox plate so I can put my 4274 brushless in it that went in the TXT-1 :)

Lots of time to think about though as I won't be really getting into it until I've at least got the half track finished.

Very tempting to just build it stock, then fit the rear axle off the 6x6 with the walking beams and see what it goes like........

If you can wait on machining the extra parts,

I suggest you build it stock.

Then you will see where you need to improve/ change it.

After seeing it stock, it will give you all sorts of ideas :)

If you do 4 link it you will want to move that steering servo, as it gives a lot of slop in standard configuration.

Will be interesting to see what you come up with compared to the stock kit.

Ian

• Like 1

If you can wait on machining the extra parts,

I suggest you build it stock.

Then you will see where you need to improve/ change it.

After seeing it stock, it will give you all sorts of ideas :)

If you do 4 link it you will want to move that steering servo, as it gives a lot of slop in standard configuration.

Will be interesting to see what you come up with compared to the stock kit.

Ian

I had one when they first came out and was not overly impressed with it, used it a couple of times and then sold it on. With the new kit, being tight, I didn't want to put it together stock using any bits I might not use later on, e.g leaf springs, as if I keep 'em NIP they will be worth more than if they've been assembled onto the truck :). I haven't got very far with it yet anyway, as I spent what spare time I had this weekend remodelling the half track chassis (made 2 new chassis rails that are longer than the originals, and machined out 2 battery holders). Plus I promised my 2 year old son he could help me put it together, so it's going to take some time ..........

I used the high lift standard steering setup on my lunch box 4x4x4, and didn't find that the steering had an unacceptable level of slop, I won't be using the truck for crawling, so I might stick with the original steering, as putting the servo on top of the axle might limit suspension travel. I also thought about just using leafs on the front to help stabilise it in the corners, and then using a 4 link on the back to provide some flexibility over the bumps. it's going to be fun working on, that's for sure :)

• Like 1

If going the leaf spring route leave the stock ones in the package and sell them off. The red ones from RC4WD are WAY softer and really allow the suspension to move. I want to get a set but other projects keep getting in the way. The ones I messed with were on a RC4WD Trail Finder and I couldn't believe the difference over the stock ones in my Lift. There are also some special shackles and mounts that can allow a leaf setup to move even more but I feel it would be worse than a 4 link setup if one were ever to venture out of 1st.

And on your front steering you can mount the servo next to the shift servo to eliminate a bunch of the slop the stock setup has. I am still working a rear setup but I will probably have to go to smaller battery pack to make it as clean as the front.

One last thing. Your welcome to steal this idea if you like it but I have always wanted to slam a High Lift to the ground and make it out run that Wheely King HPI made. Not sure if the 3 speed would like shifting at 80+mph though.

ON a semi related note, just found this vid on youtube of some 1:1 completion off road trucks :)