mongoose1983

vtg/rere SS nosecone compatibility (A warning to TCers working an old SS)

I am currently working an old Scorcher/Rider, and thought about using some new body parts for the old Scorcher shell. The nosecone so far has proved to be unusable. The new one does not fit the old shell, it is significantly larger, the side holes are not the same and are placed in different places of it. And so is the middle holder.

When I asked here about this I remember I was sent to check the Tamiya101 Beetle shell comparison, but the boys there did not pay attention to the nosecone. I'm surprised nobody seem to have commented this before. It would have saved me money, time, and a little burning feeling in my chest.

Anyway, here's the comparison so you can check it yourself. I bolted both nosecones together so you can see the different size and shape of them (obviously, the white one is re-re and the green one is the original).

DSCN5537_zps7bd1beef.jpg?t=1392424125

DSCN5543_zps63d830e3.jpg?t=1392424128

DSCN5545_zps8d8e9326.jpg

I have not compared these yet with the Monster Beetle's, but I would not be surprised if they were not compatible either. <_<

Hopefully this will be of use to anybody working an old Sand Scorcher buggy.

You all have a good Saturday!

• Like 2

Wow! Never seen that before! Always assumed they only deleted the indicator holes for the mb, and reinstated them on the re re ss.

I have a resin copy nose on my scorcher, from back in the day when people could legally sell them ;)

Re-re scorcher nose cone is the same size as Monster Beetle, only difference is the 2 tabs at the bottom for the fog lamps and the deletion of the indicator holes

That's because the re re Scorcher uses the same moulding as the Monster / Blitzer . Original Scorchers are not the same as the re re in this and a number of other details

That's because the re re Scorcher uses the same moulding as the Monster / Blitzer .

The Blitzer's nose is different too, much longer then MB or SS.
  • Like 1

The Blitzer's nose is different too, much longer then MB or SS.

This is correct. The nose you have painted green is from a blitzer beetle. It was shaped that way to fit around the chassis. The monster beetle and SS cone were the same with the exception of the indicator holes on the SS and light bar mounting tabs on the MB

Anyway all nosecones fit on every beetle body. They are full compatibles.

Max

This is correct. The nose you have painted green is from a blitzer beetle. It was shaped that way to fit around the chassis. The monster beetle and SS cone were the same with the exception of the indicator holes on the SS and light bar mounting tabs on the MB

Well, I yet have to compare the original SS nosecone with the Monster Beetle's. After comparing the new and old Sand Scorcher's I kinda doubt they'd be compatible.

Anyway all nosecones fit on every beetle body. They are full compatibles.

Max

Hi Max, when posting this I was trying to warn fellow TCers about the re-re SS nosecones because they don't fit the original Sand Scorcher shell. I lost my time and money when trying to do it. The new one is much bigger. Photos are up there.

By the way, when I start to work the original Sand Scorcher I think I'll have to try your way to solder the nosecone and bodies together, because you did a very good job with the Blitzer Beetle!

You all have a good week! :)

A couple of days ago I was rummaging around in the garage and confirmed they are fully interchangeable. I tried a rere nose on an original body and an original nose on a rere body. Not sure why yours is not fitting.

• Like 1

A couple of days ago I was rummaging around in the garage and confirmed they are fully interchangeable. I tried a rere nose on an original body and an original nose on a rere body. Not sure why yours is not fitting.

Hey Erich,

I know you've already seen it, but I'm just gonna leave this here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52567&page=83#entry364070

Maybe your nose is suffering from age related shrinkage?

-S

Hi Steve. Wow, I forgot about that...

Well, if that's really the case quite frankly I have no clue about what's wrong with my nosecones. You can see the size difference in the pictures above. The re-re doesn't even fit the original Sand Scorcher bodyshell I have here. :huh: