Sign in to follow this  
Foxaddict

Upgrading fox drive shafts with novafox parts

I hope someone can help. I thought I'd upgrade my old fox drive shafts with the new novafox dog bones and drives cups. Now, I've built and rebuilt a few foxes in my time and never had a problem. So this one has me scratching my head. When I put it together, with nice tight screws, the diff ends up being locked. So I loosened the gearbox screws a bit, and it improved slightly, but not much.

I've downloaded the novafox manual, and There's nothing different in the set up, so I'm not missing a part. I've put a new gear set in, and it's sill the same. The only thing i think it can be is the old gearbox casing!?

Has anyone else come across this issue?

Help, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I hope someone can help. I thought I'd upgrade my old fox drive shafts with the new novafox dog bones and drives cups. Now, I've built and rebuilt a few foxes in my time and never had a problem. So this one has me scratching my head. When I put it together, with nice tight screws, the diff ends up being locked. So I loosened the gearbox screws a bit, and it improved slightly, but not much.

I've downloaded the novafox manual, and There's nothing different in the set up, so I'm not missing a part. I've put a new gear set in, and it's sill the same. The only thing i think it can be is the old gearbox casing!?

Has anyone else come across this issue?

Help, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Are you using the E-clips ?.

As you DON'T use E-Clips in the OLD fox diff . The New Fox diff is different , to use the E-clips , The

Old diff used the C-clips .

The out drives maybe a little long ? from what i can see , so you may have to change the length & grind them a

little . But the 1st thing is , NO E-clip .

I have put in the old drive system into the new fox & that works . But have not done it the other way around .

So give that a go & it your still stuck , i can build a diff & see what is wrong & let you know .

• Like 1

just about done with NovaFox building & old Fox rebuilding frenzy here too :)

Looked at changing driveshafts on the oldies too, but I'd want to change to the new gearbox casing too.

New out drives with e-clips in the old casing will squeeze the diff together too tightly.

(given I have just changed my gearboxes with NOS original parts, I wasn't about to carve them up

just for installing rere shafts so I cleaned up & rejuvenated the old shafts instead. Plenty of life left!)

All you need to do is put on the C-clip & NOT the E-clip & it should fit .

It's the same with the Boomerang / hotshot / super hotshot re re's gear box's ,

You need to use the E-clip in the re re's on them , but you just use the C-clip

on the Old gear box's if you wanted to use the New dog bone & drives etc .

• Like 1

Sorted. E clips off, c clips on and it runs a treat. If I did it again I probably wouldn't use the c clips, because the drive cups do still pull out a bit, I'd just run it without. But to be honest, the gearbox has been apart quite a bit over the last few days, and now it ain't broke, I won't try and fix it.

I suppose the other option if you're upgrading your old fox is to use the novafox gear set.

Many thanks for all your wise words, now time to play!

I suppose the other option if you're upgrading your old fox is to use the novafox gear set.

NO !! It's the diff housing you need to replace ( D tree Part 8 & 9 ) , As the bearings you put into the housing

are deeper to allow for the E-clip . " SO IT'S NOT THE GEARS " .

Glade you have got it running & now you can have some fun .

Last night took a Fox out for a run, first time since -uh, time immemorial.

Wow even stock darned thing goes like a scalded cat, on flat unpaved terrain handles pretty well too.