About 2mm lol. Not sure, I've not got a ruler to hand, but it's the smallest wheelbase I've ever seen.

lol ok but can someone please measure the wheelbase (and the width of the body fender to fender)?

always thought they were (both!) around 140mm. Will double check next time they're on the bench.

Hi! Can those of you who have already built your GF-01s please tell me what steering servos you're using in yours? I have a bunch of TC steering servos in my box, as well as a tail servo or two from a heli and am wondering if I need something a little less extreme for this model.

Also has anybody compared the stock setup with oil shocks? Worth the upgrade?

Release date for UK is advertised as today but so far mine still isn't showing as shipped. :-(

given its 4WD and the vajra rubber is pretty sticky soft, I stuck a torque monster HK288A in mine (~9kg I think)

It's a good choice :D great turning circle with such short wheelbase

Yep oil shocks were ready'd even before kit arrived. Stock TL01 rubbertube shocks are horrid.

Cool. So a 11kg/0.18s should be fine then :lol:

I'll get some shocks ordered - is there any difference between the 50519 and 84366 shocks, other than the colour?

I went with white 84351s. Yeah it's just the colour of the molded plastics, both are CVA2 Mini.

Plus the carded black 50519 is only 1pr per card so you need 2 lots... the new sets are 4 shocks.

The shocks came with springs in their bag but they looked a bit soft & shorter

so I swapped over to the GF01 kit springs which felt stiffer & longer.

Didn't put any pretension collars and resultant stance was perfect.

after taking a peek at the manual and looking at my other WR02s I came up with the following,

Instead of throwing away half the kit it might be more economical to get the following.

50736 TL01 B parts knuckle

50737 TL01 C parts arms

1x 10008265 GF01 D parts chassis

1x 10005748 WR02 F parts bumper

1x 10555092 GF01 Gearset

300mm 5mm diam carbon pipe (gearshafts)

or raid 2x WR02 gearboxes or 1 TwinDetonator :)

Gear Diff innards are in GF01 metal parts bag A

GF01 metal parts bag C

2x 53218 hardened outdrives gear diff

2x universals WR02 54394

dampers alloy or 2x 50519 or 1x 84366/84351

1x 53301 TL-01 Stainless Steel Suspension Shaft Set

+ U-shaft from GF01 Metal Bag B

....dang, whole kit might be easier <_<

Looks wicked! I need to resist though and sell some other stuff first lol. I guess with it being very square does it tip easily? is it top heavy?

I guess on tarmac its likely to grip roll?

It might well suffer on tarmac, but it seems pretty resilient on grass at least - 1.30 onwards - I found this video the other day and posted it in the thread in the General Discussion section... looks like a lot of people are interested in these after all!

Jx

The rubbers are decals ;) Wish I was that good ha haaaa.

You get an extra mark....for putiing the decal inside, most people will leave it out after decaling the outside.

Blue or yellow is a nice color... but i still won't buy it:-P

I'll buy it and spring for four vw wheelie rear wheels. I do wish there were other bodies available though.

I went with white 84351s. Yeah it's just the colour of the molded plastics, both are CVA2 Mini.

Plus the carded black 50519 is only 1pr per card so you need 2 lots... the new sets are 4 shocks.

The shocks came with springs in their bag but they looked a bit soft & shorter

so I swapped over to the GF01 kit springs which felt stiffer & longer.

Didn't put any pretension collars and resultant stance was perfect.

I just noticed that 53619 is a 4-set of mini CVAs that doesn't come with springs. Since you didn't use the springs anyway, I could get this set and just use my kit springs IF they are indeed the same length? They look it. Anybody able to back that up? :)

I'll buy it and spring for four vw wheelie rear wheels. I do wish there were other bodies available though.

It's the same length as the Wild Willy II, and the body posts are in the same position (there is a video by the same guy above showing them being swapped over) - so I imagine anything that fits on a GR-02 chassis - Farm King, Tumbing Bull, Jimny - will fit too?

Or you could always go custom of course... ;o)

P1000172_zps785ecfcb.jpg

Jx

body posts are not in exact same location as FJ has them posts flipped F<->R vs WW2.

Body post fixing spot on chassis is same. ;)

Currently scratching head as to why T left off the WR02 "chassis rails"

after bothering to mold in 3 (of 4) standoffs into new chassis.

Then tacked on bodypost mounts directly.

I just noticed that 53619 is a 4-set of mini CVAs that doesn't come with springs. Since you didn't use the springs anyway, I could get this set and just use my kit springs IF they are indeed the same length? They look it. Anybody able to back that up? :)

Yup the black set of 4 is to upgrade friction shock cars like TT01, CC01 etc - you can use it.

(CC01 has the nail-type pistons, no separate plastic disc)

The white & yellow sets were cheaper & newer but :P

You can even use the new alloy CC01 shocks set ;) they're same miniCVA length.

On the tractor I've fitted TRFs, just use longer bottom eyelet like on TA03.

Probably overkill as it performs same as a CVA'd car,

but that was all that was in parts drawer at the time.

Might swap out after next CVA filling session.

It's the same length as the Wild Willy II, and the body posts are in the same position (there is a video by the same guy above showing them being swapped over) - so I imagine anything that fits on a GR-02 chassis - Farm King, Tumbing Bull, Jimny - will fit too?

Are we talking about this video?:

If it is really this easy then I'm definitely going to try getting hold of a Farm King body - my kid loves tractors!

Currently scratching head as to why T left off the WR02 "chassis rails"

after bothering to mold in 3 (of 4) standoffs into new chassis.

Then tacked on bodypost mounts directly.

I guess the steering servo gets in the way on the left side, which is a shame as I was hoping to paint mine to add that extra scale effect.
Well mine arrived late last night - it was left with a neighbour so my initial disappointment in not finding it waiting for me when I got home from work was replaced with excitement when he popped round much later to hand it over! :P
I haven't begun building yet but I will definitely see about modifying those rails to see if I can get them around the steering servo somehow.
Thanks for the advice on shocks. I think I'm going to try the black ones - if I manage to get those rails on then I don't want brightly coloured shocks to detract from my shiny rails! :lol:

Are we talking about this video?:

If it is really this easy then I'm definitely going to try getting hold of a Farm King body - my kid loves tractors!

Yes, that's the one!

As Willy Change points out - you have to swap the posts over F-R if you want to exchange the shells between the Toyota PU and the others, but the same parts are in the kit and the mounting positions on the chassis are the same, so you can decide which shell/post combo you want to fit...

I reckon a 4x4 Tractor would be the business!

Jx

I guess the steering servo gets in the way on the left side, which is a shame as I was hoping to paint mine to add that extra scale effect.

Well mine arrived late last night - it was left with a neighbour so my initial disappointment in not finding it waiting for me when I got home from work was replaced with excitement when he popped round much later to hand it over! :P

I haven't begun building yet but I will definitely see about modifying those rails to see if I can get them around the steering servo somehow.

Thanks for the advice on shocks. I think I'm going to try the black ones - if I manage to get those rails on then I don't want brightly coloured shocks to detract from my shiny rails! :lol:

rails bolt on with minimal trimming

GF01 servo sits exactly where WR02's MSC servo lives... for those old enough to have MSCs in WR02s :P

• Like 1

Aha! I wondered why there's a cutout in the rail. I'd forgotten that this was originally an MSC platform! :)

I'm definitely old enough to remember those - my Sand Rover had one of the continuously variable resistance type, and my Thundershot had the 3-speed type!

yup WR02 has MSC perched on left chassis rail, above rear tyre... perfect spot to catch water flung up.

My 1st batch WW2 was originally built with MSC and run off a JR JEEP stick radio as a retro tribute.

Got sick of cleaning contacts after a while & went to an ESC.

Right rail has the "goalposts" for the resistor. Haven't got the heart to amputate them off.

Last night got around to reading the instructions for 84351, given that they are the 1st lot of

CVAs specifically for WR02 - everything else come before is generic afaik so I've always DIY'd.

Interestingly they tell you to put 6mm spacer inside & use taller bottom eyelet.

(I've always built miniCVA2s for WR02 with no spacer & short eyelet)

Out of curiosity I decided to build a set per new instructions.

Discovered...

-extra length of longer eyelet allows shockbody to bottom out (=stress on shock towers)

-doesn't have much droop below suspension-arm-horizontal (I like more droop)

Went back to previous setup. Lord it's a real PITA to drain/remove spacer/refill/bleed shocks.

here ya go... sizing up the task

DSC05877-640.jpg

trimmed & bolted :D

DSC05908-640.jpg

DSC05910-640.jpg

mini FJ fits back on just fine

DSC05911-640.jpg

• Like 2

Yay! the GF01 is available at Tamico, ordered :D

here ya go... sizing up the task

DSC05877-640.jpg

Very nice! So how much trimming did you have to do (very hard to see when it's black on black!) - it looks like the servo has been moved forward a tiny bit?

Is it sturdy enough just mounted on the posts that are present on the new gearbox?

the rails don't do anything structurally :) it's all cosmetic, but seems more sturdy than on WR02 frame

Servo is untouched. If it needed moving this project would be no-go... that's serious reengineering!

I did stick the ESC switch to the side originally which got relocated to the top.

Main effort is carving off the bits that interfere with rear post pillars without leaving much gap.

I didn't want to cut the front post mount from the rail, as WW2 body has the vestigial spring cutout

that the front mount nicely fills... for when a WW2 body gets mounted in the far future.

So instead the rail mount & new chassis mount now clamp each bodypost from both sides :)

Very curious on T's design thoughts... for sure they've wanted to have the rails on GF01

but at the very last minute done a 180 and molded on the bodypost mounts to new chassis.

:wub:

IMG_20140413_231937028.jpg

1x 0005757 TL01 Bparts fiber reinforced

5mm carbon pipe (gearshafts)

handfull 1150 & 850 ballbearings

2x 53218 hardened outdrives gear diff

2x universals WR02 54394

dampers 53280 low friction

53303 Adjustable Upper Arm Set For TL-01

53301 TL-01 Stainless Steel Suspension Shaft Set

54473 blue alloy wheelie roller

B)

^^^

did you end up buying a kit or did you follow your original DIY custom recipe? ^_^

• Like 1