nascar24jd

Gearbox (differential) Lube

Hi everyone. When I built my Frog I used the standard Tamiya ceramic grease on the gears in the gear box. Does it need to be re-greased at some point? And if so, with what sort of lube?

I was thinking of squirting some white lithium grease in there but figured I would ask here first.

Thank you.

Here is my grease cheat sheet made from various posts and opinions from people here on TamiyaClub and myself.

Ceramic Grease: For plastic running gears - thin & slippery
Molybdenum Grease: For metal running gears - med & slippery
Ball Diff Grease: For diff balls & Diff washers - thin & sticky (for ball traction)
Anti-Wear Grease: For CVD's, gear diffs, on-road suspension, and thrust bearings - xtra thick & sticky

Molybdenum Grease
Item #87022
Lithium is the base material in the grease, moly is an additive in the grease. Molybdenum disulfide is a dark gray powder that is very hard and very slippery. Moly is excellent for slow moving, heavily loaded points. This grease is suitable for gears and moving parts in mechanical operations. It maintains its viscosity over a wide temperature range, reduces friction, and has molybdenum properties that cover the entire surface well. Use moly-additized grease on the sliding spline on the driveshaft. Moly can contain abrasive particles that can damage needle, ball, or roller bearings.

----------

Ceramic Grease
Item #87025(DISCONTINUED)
This grease is formulated using Boron Nitride particles, and is ideal for use on electric powered R/C vehicles. It should be applied to all bearings, shafts, and gears. It maintains it's viscosity throughout a wide temperature range.

----------

Cera Grease HG
Item #87099
This Cera-grease HG is made using Boron Nitride which gives it superior lubrication ability. Cera-grease can be used with MINI 4WD cars, R/C Cars, Robocraft gears and bearings, and provide excellent lubrication for plastic and metal parts.

----------

RC Anti-Wear Grease
Item #53439
The potential of this grease has been race proven as one of the valuable components of the TRF414 chassis, greatly reducing friction between moving parts. High viscosity grease ideal for use on differential gears.

----------

RC VG Joint/Cup Grease
Item #42128
This new Joint & Cup grease is best suited to fast moving parts. It assists in preventing wear and tear on parts. Other types of grease which have been used in the past tend to dry up and cause stiffening. With the new grease, there are no drying up and stiffening effects making this the grease to have for fast moving parts. The grease is a blue color.

- 42130 Thrust bearing grease (a black Teflon grease for diff thrust bearings similar to associated)
- 42129 Damper grease (to make shock o-rings smoother like Associated Green Slime)
- 42169 TRF ball diff grease (probably thicker like Associated or Schumacher)
- 42170 Diff plate grease (I imagine is to stick the diff rings to alloy outdrives)

Tamiya also has three friction damper greases (53174 soft, 53175 medium and 53176 hard).
In addition, they also sell these in a 3 pack of 2g tubs for mini 4WD cars (15129).

• Like 7

If you find the diff is a little lose then add the AW grease - makes a noticeable improvement . All depends what surface you run on the most .

Great explanation nascar. Mods can this be pinned somewhere for easy reference?

Here is my grease cheat sheet made from various posts and opinions from people here on TamiyaClub and myself.

Ceramic Grease: For plastic running gears - thin & slippery

Molybdenum Grease: For metal running gears - med & slippery

Ball Diff Grease: For diff balls & Diff washers - thin & sticky (for ball traction)

Anti-Wear Grease: For CVD's, gear diffs, on-road suspension, and thrust bearings - xtra thick & sticky

Molybdenum Grease

Item #87022

Lithium is the base material in the grease, moly is an additive in the grease. Molybdenum disulfide is a dark gray powder that is very hard and very slippery. Moly is excellent for slow moving, heavily loaded points. This grease is suitable for gears and moving parts in mechanical operations. It maintains its viscosity over a wide temperature range, reduces friction, and has molybdenum properties that cover the entire surface well. Use moly-additized grease on the sliding spline on the driveshaft. Moly can contain abrasive particles that can damage needle, ball, or roller bearings.

----------

Ceramic Grease

Item #87025(DISCONTINUED)

This grease is formulated using Boron Nitride particles, and is ideal for use on electric powered R/C vehicles. It should be applied to all bearings, shafts, and gears. It maintains it's viscosity throughout a wide temperature range.

----------

Cera Grease HG

Item #87099

This Cera-grease HG is made using Boron Nitride which gives it superior lubrication ability. Cera-grease can be used with MINI 4WD cars, R/C Cars, Robocraft gears and bearings, and provide excellent lubrication for plastic and metal parts.

----------

RC Anti-Wear Grease

Item #53439

The potential of this grease has been race proven as one of the valuable components of the TRF414 chassis, greatly reducing friction between moving parts. High viscosity grease ideal for use on differential gears.

----------

RC VG Joint/Cup Grease

Item #42128

This new Joint & Cup grease is best suited to fast moving parts. It assists in preventing wear and tear on parts. Other types of grease which have been used in the past tend to dry up and cause stiffening. With the new grease, there are no drying up and stiffening effects making this the grease to have for fast moving parts. The grease is a blue color.

- 42130 Thrust bearing grease (a black Teflon grease for diff thrust bearings similar to associated)

- 42129 Damper grease (to make shock o-rings smoother like Associated Green Slime)

- 42169 TRF ball diff grease (probably thicker like Associated or Schumacher)

- 42170 Diff plate grease (I imagine is to stick the diff rings to alloy outdrives)

Tamiya also has three friction damper greases (53174 soft, 53175 medium and 53176 hard).

In addition, they also sell these in a 3 pack of 2g tubs for mini 4WD cars (15129).

there is also a Titanium Grease :wub: in mini4WD catalog

clings on like moly, i like it for gears. Less messy & sounds more poshy. :ph34r:

Thanks Willy you smooth operator. B)

R/C Mini 4WD Titanium Grease
Item 15290
dot_invisible.gif
It is essential to grease shafts, gears, and other rotating areas for heightened performance. Organic titanium has been compounded. This grease creates smoother movement and also protects resin or metal surfaces from friction.

I recently rebuilt a TA02 which has a front gear diff, and rear ball diff. Using AW grease for the gear diff metal gears, it felt tighter and far smoother than the ball diff.

Anyone know the difference between the old ceramic grease and cera grease HG?

- J