March75

Fast Attack Vehicle 2011 Build and Paint

Hi All TC members.

I've been lurking for years here and have been amazed by the stuff I've seen and the depth of knowledge, skill and ingenuity on display. I've recently got back into building RC cars after giving it up in my teen years so have had a 20+ year break. I always had it in my mind that I would love to have had a few of the old classics to build so last year I bought a Brat re release kit and got to work. I remember a friend at school had one back in the mid 80's and thinking it was the coolest thing ever, I pestered my parents but ended up with The Hornet - which I loved (re re coming soon I suspect!!) I had never tried a hard body before so my painting skills got a good test and I was very happy with the results.

Anyway enough waffle - I decided it was time for an airbrush and an FAV kit - here's what happened.........

Simon

• Like 1

Does anyone know how I can edit the title and tag also? Should have been 2011...new boy errors!

Welcome Simon - sounds like you're reliving the childhood like the rest of us !

Easiest way for pictures is to upload them to a photobucket account and then paste in the IMG links directly into the text box

Editing title you need to use the 'full editor' button below the text box when in edit mode on the opening post

• Like 2

Thanks Percymon - indeed I am!!

have an Egress kit due on the 10th and I can't remember being this excited since seeing The Hornet box under the Christmas tree when I was 12!

Thanks for the advice, trying now...

Mmmm, new Tamiya kit - Am I wierd for sniffing it?!!

1Box_zps5d2bfdb0.jpg

2BoxOpen_zps06c316aa.jpg

• Like 2

I decided to build it up before painting it to test fit and decide where the RC gear would fit without the chance of damaging what I hope would be a half decent paint job.

Also this helped decide how best to paint the various parts.

4Build1_zps6e0f7a23.jpg

9Build6_zps0a8b0832.jpg

10Build7_zps6437d39f.jpg

11Build8_zps5303a9d7.jpg

12Build9_zps413f37aa.jpg

5Build2_zps168a8c2d.jpg

6Build3_zps0a48ec1d.jpg

8Build5_zps49a51002.jpg

• Like 1

That's pretty much what I got done on the first day of the build. A few weeks went by with no further progress. I did spend the time looking at what other people had done with theirs and I couldn't decide if box art or Baja style was the way to go, really liked both routes but only one model!

I had recently got a half decent airbrush and compressor for my other static modelling activities and had a few successes with it, was I feeling brave enough for 4 colour freehand camouflage was the question!!

A dry build is actually a really good idea ! Not seen a RC build done this way before but thinking about it all high end 1: 1 custom cars are done exactly this way .

• Like 1

A dry build is actually a really good idea ! Not seen a RC build done this way before but thinking about it all high end 1: 1 custom cars are done exactly this way .

funny you should say that - I'm also building a gravity racer at the moment and did it the same way.

After a few tests on random objects I decided camo was the way to go. I ordered a can of TS46 light sand for the base coat, I already had the correct Tamiya acrylics in pots for the NATO brown, green and black. Having also given it a quick run around the garden I also decided to order the oil damper kit to get the Wild One shocks, its going to be an occasional runner so I'd like it to handle better than it does with the stock springs. This also decided a paint question - do I paint the roll cage and side bars as per the box? Other people have done this and it looks great, not sure how durable it will be though - probably not very I suspect.

So the decision was to leave the sidebars and cage black plastic but try to dull it down some how. I tested a piece of sprue with some Halfords matte lacquer which gave me the look I was after but flaked off when I stressed the part so not a winner. Plan B was to rub down the parts with fine wire wool - perfect! It took off the mold lines nicely and gave it a flat finish. Much rubbing later the cage and side bars looked like they were painted matte black. I painted the two alloy cross pieces with etch primer then matte black spay to match them to the rest of the cage.

After fitting the new front damper mounts and the rear trailing arm mounts (which had been etch primed) I got busy with the light sand base coat then onto the first camo stage - NATO brown - here's the result....

13Paint1_zpsaffc7e08.jpg

Your painting skills are excellent, and a fine idea using wire wool on the cage bars.

Welcome to the Club!

• Like 1

Your painting skills are excellent, and a fine idea using wire wool on the cage bars.

Welcome to the Club!

Many thanks - I think it turned out ok for a first go - I wish that a bit more of the light sand had remained is the only thing I am not too happy with, though I have seen it finished and overall I am happy :)

Onto the driver - a few steps not photographed that I wish I had documented but I get carried away when I'm on a roll!

This wasn't without a hiccup - as any of you scale modelers will know, its important that you wash parts with soapy water and let them dry prior to paint. If you try and speed up this process with an electric heater then it can go horribly wrong!!! Long story short - I had to order a replacement driver body part :angry: oh well, I have a spare bonnet from the same tree if anyone needs one?

So back to the paint, base coat of olive drab and hand painted NATO brown, matte black and matte white - most pleased with the outcome, this is the bit that worried me the most...

17Driver1_zps8fdc3c1f.jpg

Next I painted Humbrol Maskol over the camouflaged areas...

18Driver2_zpsdf866b74.jpg

Maskol peeled, buckles painted and more matte lacquer.

20Driver4_zps58b89280.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome! Some nice painting going into this model, can't wait to see it all finished. The use of the maskol is very cool too, hadn't realised it existed.

• Like 1

Wouw your painting skills are excellent. Very nice build.

• Like 1

Looking fab so far - you are going to be a happy man when this one is finished

• Like 1