March75

Fast Attack Vehicle 2011 Build and Paint

Hi and welcome, I reckon about a dozen people who have read this have now googled Humbrol Maskol and are half way to ordering some (myself included) :lol:

• Like 1

Hi and welcome, I reckon about a dozen people who have read this have now googled Humbrol Maskol and are half way to ordering some (myself included) :lol:

No problem, it's relatively new to me too, It didn't occur to me to use it like this in time for my Brat driver so he's getting a repaint soon I think. I did a Holiday Buggy 2010 after that too and tried all sorts of ways to get the black decking looking sprayed rather than brushed - mostly with bad results.

A couple of bits of advice though - it kills brushes!

The temptation is to use an old one but you won't get good lines so resign yourself to using a new brush and chucking it out afterwards. You also need to peel it once the overlaying paint is dry but not fully set, within a few hours. if you leave it a few days then you tend to get a jagged line because the paint has gone too hard and lifts the stuff you want to keep.

Use a piece of masking tape to dab off the loose flakes along the boarder of where you have masked for a sharp line. Blu tak also works well for this.

It tastes awful!

Don't get it on your new t shirt - it never comes out and the missus will go mad ;)

• Like 2

I am very jealous!

I got an FAV for Christmas and I admit to rushing the build a little as I was keen to take it out for a run. Your driver looks a thousand times more detailed than mine as a result!

• Like 2

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see the finished result

• Like 1

I was just looking at the helmet, it's that suppose to be a visor on the top of the helmet ?

If so, maybe it should be colored with dark brown or black?

To make the helmet look metal-like, I outline the edges with a pencil. Similar method can be applied on the edges of the buggy body and on molded plastic nuts or bolts.

• Like 1

I was just looking at the helmet, it's that suppose to be a visor on the top of the helmet ?

If so, maybe it should be colored with dark brown or black?

To make the helmet look metal-like, I outline the edges with a pencil. Similar method can be applied on the edges of the buggy body and on molded plastic nuts or bolts.

Thanks for your comment, I'm not done with the helmet yet, I'm looking around for a suitable decal or two to finish it off. I like the pencil idea and will be giving it a try when I do.

I think visor clear part would be under the bit you see at the front of the helmet when it's in the up position to protect it.

Looks great! I have one sitting NIB waiting for warmer weather in Colorado so that I can paint.

• Like 1

Nice build and paint job, painting the front shock mounts was a nice touch.

Regarding the FAV helmet, I always thought it's based on either a tank crew helmet or what the deck crews wear on aircraft carriers. If that's the case then that "visor" shaped area on the front of his head isn't a clear visor but a hard protective plastic panel. Both would usually be worn with goggles.

Edit: Here you go, tankers helmet

80F911BE-4F7E-449C-878F-C02D56C3C84D_zps

and here's the deck crew helmet, I'd say that's what Tamiya were aiming for :)

5C08A1E1-B2C8-423E-B204-27BAA91968BA_zps

• Like 2

Thanks Mr Crispy, that's exactly the kind of helmet I had in mind. Though now I'm a bit confused -1, both of the helmets you have pictured look like the visor wouldn't clear the goggles if there was one under there, and 2, why would you need a visor with goggle anyway? We need a military helmet expert!!

There is no visor with those helmets, hence the need for goggles.

• Like 1

As far as I can remember the extra visor / panel is a KEVLAR ballistic protection plate . Tank crew have them for obvious reasons and Deck crew on aircraft carriers have it just in case a piece of debris is thrown up by a jet . In both cases you need to wear goggles to give some eye protection .

• Like 1

So I ran this round the garden at the weekend and the steering rod fell out of the ball cup! The instructions that came with the oil shock kit said to cut off the last 2mm of the rod ends which I did and now there's not enough thread in them to hold firmly without some serious toe out going on.

Anyone else had this problem? I assumed that this was the standard arrangement on the Wild One also?

So my thoughts so far to fix is to get some new ball cups and not cut them down, which will foul on the springs and reduce the lock. or find some longer steering rods - any suggestions appreciated....

I left them un cut but rounded off the square edges:-)

I'll be finding some replacements and doing the same I think.

Oil shock kit said to cut the ends off the rod ends on the shocks, not the tie rod ends I'm guessing?