alexk

Building an old Tamiya TA03 - Batteries, Chargers, ESC etc.

Many years ago (15 years?) I bought a Tamiya Cliff Clibra (TA03 Chassis) which I never got round to building.

I found the kit and would like to start this project. Looking at what I have, I have the kit, a stock 540(?) motor and a Futaba gun type controller. There is also some no brand 1800mAh NiCad (?) battery.

My brother who use to do this said to make it a shelf queen (ornament) and buy a new kit as everything has moved on since I bought it, with LiPo batteries, brushless motors etc. I am keen to build this and want to do it right with the new stuff (LiPo seems to have high mAh so would last longer - I remember testing my brothers using NiCad and it was looooooong charge times and short play).

I have read all I can in the forums and google and there is a wealth of information and my head is in a spinning.

- Which LiPo battery would be suitable? I gather it should be a 2S (7.4v)? A hard case version?

- A good charger for this?

- Do I need a LiPo bag for charging as all I have read indicates that LiPo are dangerous!

- Can I initially run this on the stock 540 motor? Or do I need a brushless motor?

- Is the stock speed controller suitable or do I need a new one.

I have perused hobbyking and there is a wealth of choice and also confusion.

I would like to build this and let my kids (2 girls) have a go. If this proves successful, I would like to follow on with a buggy such as a Hornet, Dark Impact or Hotshot.

Any help and pointers appreciated.

1. Dont build it

2. sell it me

3. buy a TT02 and let the kids at it. :D

steve

In a previous life when toys didn't get re-released, yeah old unbuilt kits can fetch crazy high prices.

Nowadays... I think the Calibra shell got re-re'd not too long ago when I wasn't paying attention.

18yo TA03 chassis works well & quite hardy... better than any TT01 or latest TT02 even.

Parts for the std tub chassis car isn't hard to find even today.

If you have a stock kit they don't come with ball bearings, they are a must-have item before building.

540 motor works fine but the kit's Mechanical Speed Controller dates back 30yr+.

Buy an electronic speed controller at the very least, lets you drive slow long as you want

without overheating and burning up like MSC.

If you want lipo the chassis tub will only take packs with the rounded edge.

Oh & paint it pink then sell it to Steve :P

• Like 1

As Willy says, ball bearing set and an ESC is a must. Other than that you don't "need" to go lipo if its only to let the kids have a go. stock 540 and something like a 4300nimh pack would do just fine and have mega long run times, IMO. Then if you feel they like that, then when you purchase a buggy you can upgrade to lipo power. But worth checking out a few threads on lipo power to get an idea of weighing up the risks / gains. Just an idea :)

I have had many TA03 cars over the years and have even raced 2 of them locally, with not bad success. Again as said, they are a very solid chassis and will easily out perform a moern TT01 or TT02. Spares are easy to come across but expensive now, as are the hopups :(

James

:)

I am so jealous, the Cliff Calibra is one of my favourites and I'd love to build one from NIB one day!

My view for what its worth :D

This is coming from a guy who really likes to run cars and does not understand leaving anything NIB... I would do as your brother says, build it as a shelf queen and buy another to run. I re built the monster beetle I got as a kid after getting it back of a friend I sold it to years before and I just cannot quite get up the nerve to run it.

I think that first crunch would hurt and its the shells and paint that would cost to replace and being a true vintage it wont quite be the same after its been run imho.

I guess it all depends on how much you are attached to 'that' car and if your looking to get into the hobby? If your just looking for a kit to play with and your going to build that one because its there then sell it. You would get a very good price for a kit like that, then you could buy a new kit for less with money to spare for all the modern gear...

And if the shell has been re re'd you could probably pick one up and stick it on a new chassis.

Boothy

I tend to agree . Sell the NIP kit and buy something more modern and you will have the funds to upgrade it as you please . If you feel you must build it then keep it mint as a shelf queen but it will be worth less than NIP .

Wow - didn't think of the selling on aspect or its worth to be honest.

I am not attached to it per se as I bought it at the time as I had funds for my first real Tamiya kit after starting work. Never had it as a kid.

- The box isn't mint.

- I don't have the instructions.

- I have carved out the shell already (trimmed the edges etc when I first had it) - and its okay job but certainly not an Expert Build.

Does this change peoples attitude to its worth?

If its worth something I am happy to get to re-release buggies instead!

Whats a good price? UK Based BTW.

If you throw up some pics of general condition someone will be able to give you a good idea on its worth I am sure.

If you do decide to sell it I'd love second dibs on it after svenb as he showed interest first.

Not sure if I want to sell it but if the offer is good.....? Anyway here it is

post-42433-0-26585100-1394484983_thumb.j post-42433-0-40117500-1394484993_thumb.j

post-42433-0-91606000-1394484998_thumb.j post-42433-0-60073000-1394485002_thumb.j

don't get your hopes too hige matey, TA03 prices ain't appreciated much yet - unless its a DJun or TRF kit

For a stock tub kit.... you'd be lucky to get someone to pay you enough to go buy a TT01 or TT02 new kit,

both of which albeit brandnew current production IMHO is inferior design to a 18yo TA03F.

Only TA05 or TA06 would be worthy successor.

Might fetch enough for a Hornet, maybe :)

In that case - I think I'll keep it and have to save up for a Hornet as well much later once I complete this kit.

So - back to the original questions. For this kit, it looks like I will need

- LiPo battery 2s (7.4v) - with hard case.

- LiPo Charger (fast charger preferably)

- Electronic Speed Controller.

And that should allow me to run what I have got with LiPo with an eye for the future. Can anyone recommend any of the above suitable for the above?