speedy_w_beans

Taking a break...

For the past three years I've been pretty active on the Tamiyaclub forum and have built a number of cars, some of them in private, and some of them in build threads. Even though I poured myself into a TRF801XT build and a CR01 chassis build recently, it's been getting harder and harder to make time to play. I feel like there are some other things that really do need more attention...

- My job role changed recently from purely engineering and team leadership to new business development and technology licensing. This requires a completely different set of skills from the usual design tasks; I'm still learning.

- My daughter only has another year and a half before she leaves for college; I'd like to spend more time with her before she's gone.

- My son is at an awkward phase in middle school; I feel like I need to be more present and set more of an example for him.

- My wife's parents' health is starting to slip; more travel and care is needed for them.

I've been deluding myself for awhile thinking another kit purchase or more hopup purchases would motivate me to spend more time on this hobby, but in reality other things simply require more priority. This post isn't meant to be a permanent goodbye; rather, I'm just saying I'll probably be spending a lot less time playing around and a lot less time checking on the forum.

It's interesting how new members announce themselves and give some background on their interests, but the members who fade away almost never say anything and the community is left wondering what happened. I thought I would communicate some of the issues weighing on me so all of you understand I'm not burned out or fed up; I just have a sense that other things need my attention more.

It's great being a part of this community; sharing information back and forth, engaging in debate, and witnessing people's passions in a mature environment makes this forum so nice. I've seen so many crass remarks, absolutist statements, and "use the search function" lashings in other forums. The willingness to help newcomers, repeat information, and tolerate honest mistakes makes Tamiyaclub so pleasant. I hope this forum never loses its mature environment.

I won't be around very often, but I'll be around. Maybe if the dust settles in a year or two I'll get more active again. If any of you ever want to chat, PM me and I should get an email notification.

Paul aka speedy_w_beans

• Like 10

Well good luck , It's been great seeing you around & hope things come around & you are able

too get back too the mad house TC .

I think most of us will take some time off to get other things done @ times .

Hope too see ya around & thanks for your input .

Yeah, we wish you and your family the best there is, Paul!

Anytime you feel you want to make a comeback, you know you have your place here in TC!

You know what is best for you and your family, and ofcourse family always comes first. I have been a memner in here for many years, but only started posting more frequently within the last year, and yes it can be addicting being in here looking at all the great builds. Hours are easily spend :)

Guess it is all about balance, but sometimes everybody needs to stress down, and for me it is either looking, building or driving RC or running.

I perfectly understand you, and even though I enjoy your buildthreads alot (you are the one that convinced me to buy the TRF801), I wish you all the best, and look forward to see you back here once a while.

A small fun thing is that actually your 801 buildthread have created quite an added interest in Tamiya. After I bought mine, I also posted my buildthread on the Unlimitedengineering forum. It is a die hard custom E-maxx forum, from a producer of the best ever Maxx upgrades. It have created a lot of interest in there, and the first couple of guys already bougt a 801 and are working on custom parts for the truggy. (I will ofcourse keep you guys posted when the custom parts is ready to order, if somebody is interested). Actually you may know Unlimited engineering, it is not that far from you I guess, since they are based in South Carolina.

You'll b missed Paul . On a personal basis I have found your builds informative and learned a good deal from them .

All the very best to you and your family and given your situation i think your doing exactly the right thing . Family should always come first .

Life's short dude - do whatever you have to do.

Most of us will still be here when the Tamiya bug hit's you again - and I'd be willing to bet it will ;)

I've always been amazed at how much time a lot of people have to spend on thier RC stuff, ME!!! I'm always juggling and it takes months or years for me to get anything done...

To hear someone explaining that life and work are having to be more important is good....

Take care of that family, try to enjoy your job and we'll, thats tamiyaclub, should still be around in years to come, even if some of us have to take a step back for a while.

All the best Paul......

Congrats on the new career path Paul!! You add a lot of value to the forums so don't go too far...

Do what you need to do Paul. I have been "away" almost a year now. I just got burned out on RC. After my time off, I feel refreshed and have slowly dipped my toes back into the RC waters. This hobby has been amazing for me and the one constant in my life since I was twelve. I'm 40 now, and after my little hiatus, I'm ready to go with a renewed passion with projects for this spring. Family should always be a priority, so spend time with the kids and family. I know we'll be seeing you as this hobby is for life!

Omar

PS, "In Soviet Russia, you don't control RC car, RC car control you!"

Hey, Paul! Thanks for posting here.

I suppose that where one always needs some sort of outlet, or a diversion, or a hobby to take up a portion of the mind's wanderings and obsessions, it's ideal when family and job fill that role completely.

RC is supposed to be a guilty pleasure. So do not miss it when you're gone. It'll always be around -- the roostertails of dust, the mechanical motions of coilovers over rough terrain, the faint buzzing of electronics, the smell of paint and solder fading away in the corners of homes. It'll exist and be around when you absolutely need it. :)

See you later, my friend!

The toys can wait. They will still be the same stored away when you come back to it. You and your own are first and foremost. B)

Just don't be a stranger and make sure you pop in from time to time to say hello, I've seen too many prolific TC member's vanish into thin air and forget that we are kinda like 'family' too, and we miss them. We're only a post count on the smartphone/tablet away ;)

Take care!

• Like 1

All the best. I think we all have similar times now and again. I'm sure you'll be back when things settle. Enjoy time with the family I know that's the main thing stopping me spend more time on here but I'd never change it.

Do your thing buddy. If the time is right, you'll come back, if not, thanks for everything you've shared.

Nothing but respect for your decision. Take good care of your family and yourself and I hope we'll see you back here in future.

An awesome signing off and what a great way to do it.

I'm hope that we see you again once there is a little more time to allow for it as you are a valued contributor.

In the meanwhile I will echo the sentiments of the others and wish you well with family and new endeavours.

Sorry to hear about the inlaws health mate, only been here for a while but you have helped me out and I have enjoyed reading through your build threads etc.

but hey RL takes priority always.

be safe mate and hope to see you around :)

You will be missed..you've shared a great deal of info, and experience. We won't say goodbye, but see you later. ;)

Hope everything works well..thank you

Paul,

You've been a great contributor and member in this forum. The hobby will always be here for you when you need it, family always comes first.

Like others have said; You'll be missed but something tells me we will see you again when the time is right.

Best,

James.

Enjoy your freedom !

Thanks for the wonderful contributions.

(I also, will be taking an extended break I foresee).

All I can say is take the time for your family; RC projects can be boxed away and brought out in 2,5,10 years time when you have time for them. You can't get back time with your children once they are grown up, and parents need care and consideration.

You will be missed, your knowledge and detailed build threads are an inspiration to us all - something to strive for in terms of clarity and accuracy.

Many thanks for all your help on and behind the forum - my 801 is 60% built and wouldn't even be on the bench were it not for your assistance - a true gentleman.

Box up the RC, go spend time with your loved ones.

All the best mate