JWeston

IconicRC & A1 Racing: Revival Meeting 2014

Classic Buggy Racing Format

There will be one practice round in heat order.

There will then be 5x 5 minute Rounds (heats) of racing per class.

Each round is a Staggered Start format so buggies will start 1.5 seconds apart and it is all about completing as many laps as possible in those 5 minutes. The Transponder system will record the exact time and laps over the 5 minutes.

Classic Buggy Points
In each round there are 200 points up for grabs. The fastest driver is awarded 200 points. 2nd fastest 199 points. 3rd fastest 198 points and so on.
After the 5 Rounds, each driver’s best 3 Round scores are added up and the worst 2 are discarded.
Nostalgia Points are then added to the final score to give the grand total.
(Busy classes may bit split into 2 separate rounds but the points will still be allocated per class.)
In the photo example, the worst 2 Round scores per driver are discarded, the Nostalgia points are added on and Hutch wins the class.
img30876_04072014080532_1.jpg
There is a maximum of 11 Nostalgia Points per buggy and these will be allocated at booking in.
Uniqueness at the Event 2 points
Original Chassis (not re-release) 2 points
Wiper Board Speedo 2 points
Brushed Speedo 1 point
Brushed Motor 1 point
Nimh or Nicad Battery 1 point
Period Tyres designed for chassis 1 point
Non GHz Radio 1 point

Preliminary Schedule for the day.

Morning

· Gates open at 07:00 for Booking in.

· Please be ready to race by 09:00.

· Round 1 (There are 6 Classes so there will be approximately 6 Heats per round)

· Round 2 (6 Heats approx)

· Round 3 (6 Heats approx)

Lunchtime

· Monster Truck Race

· Wheelie Race

· Charity Raffle

· Concourse

Afternoon

· Round 4 (6 Heats approx)

· Round 5 (6 Heats approx)

· 2WD Champion Race

· 4WD Champion Race

· Trophies

Throughout the day

· RC Autojumble

· Charity Tombola

Awards

2WD Champion

4WD Champion

1st, 2nd, 3rd 1979-1988 2WD

1st, 2nd, 3rd 1989-1993 2WD

1st, 2nd, 3rd 1994-1998 2WD

1st, 2nd, 3rd 1979-1988 4WD

1st, 2nd, 3rd 1989-1993 4WD

1st, 2nd, 3rd 1994-1998 4WD

Best Amateur 1979-1988 2WD

Best Amateur 1989-1993 2WD

Best Amateur 1994-1998 2WD

Best Amateur 1979-1988 4WD

Best Amateur 1989-1993 4WD

Best Amateur 1994-1998 4WD

1st, 2nd, 3rd Monster Truck

1st, 2nd, 3rd Wheelie

Concourse Buggy

Concourse Monster Truck

Concourse Wheelie

Concourse Best In Show

Best Vintage Rostrum Outfit

Best Vintage Pit

Other Random Spot Prizes

That is at least 38 Trophies to sort out! :o

I've done some analysis of entries thus far. Very interesting. Entries close on 20th July.

45 Entrants:

AM - 8

PRO - 37

99 Entries:

1979-1988 2WD - 19

1989-1993 2WD - 11

1994-1998 2WD - 6

1979-1988 4WD - 16

1989-1993 4WD - 13

1994-1998 4WD - 7

Monster - 7

Wheelie - 20

Buggies:
24 Tamiya
18 Schumacher
8 Kyosho
6 Associated
6 Losi
4 Yokomo
1 Mardave
1 Bolink
1 Nikko
1 Traxxas

lol can see my mardave and nikko are only ones of make shame not more mardaves

• Like 1

Interesting stats. I wonder if there is scope to adjust the definitions of Pro and Am to even out the numbers?

I for one would currently fit under the Pro definition, as I did a bit of informal racing in a parking lot with a small club several years ago while studying abroad. However if my skills are compared to those of someone who races regularly at a formal club, I would be waaaaay off the pace, and probably more of an annoyance on the track than anything else.

I wonder if those such as myself would be better off in the Am section?

Interesting stats. I wonder if there is scope to adjust the definitions of Pro and Am to even out the numbers?

I for one would currently fit under the Pro definition, as I did a bit of informal racing in a parking lot with a small club several years ago while studying abroad. However if my skills are compared to those of someone who races regularly at a formal club, I would be waaaaay off the pace, and probably more of an annoyance on the track than anything else.

I wonder if those such as myself would be better off in the Am section?

Due to the somewhat unexpected high volume of entries, some of the AM's will be mixed into the PRO's now anyway for the Heats.

If you've ever held BRCA then you need to enter PRO anyway and you'll need to renew the BRCA if it has lapsed. This can be done online for £17 or on the day for £17.

If you've never held BRCA then you need to enter AM and will be covered as a newcomer. PRO and AM times will all count towards the 1st, 2nd, 3rd for each class and an AM could also make it into the Champions Race. If you look at the awards you'll see that the top AM's get their own trophy.

Hope that helps. J

I class myself as AM but have had a brca licence so have put myself in PRO. l ll be happy if both my cars make it through 1 practise round and 3 heats. Let alone 5 heats and then a champions final. I m not gonna take it that seriously. Happy going to enjoy running some old cars and chat!

• Like 1

I reckon my cars will make it - not so sure about batteries though. I will be running NiMH for the bonus points, and hoping for enough time between heats/classes to charge them!

I reckon my cars will make it - not so sure about batteries though. I will be running NiMH for the bonus points, and hoping for enough time between heats/classes to charge them!

Make sure you bring a car battery (real car) if you need to charge batteries as power is very limited. If you get really stuck I'm hoping other attendees will help out re charging.

Make sure you bring a car battery (real car) if you need to charge batteries as power is very limited. If you get really stuck I'm hoping other attendees will help out re charging.

Not to worry, I will be bringing 4 x good pre-charged packs, 2 x marginal pre-charged packs, 2 x 12V chargers, enough leads to connect them to a fullsize car, and a fullsize car to connect them to. It is just a question of whether there will be enough time. We'll see. I might have to reconsider how many classes to enter.

What are others doing regarding battery management for the event? (Or is that secret race strategy?) :)

Not to worry, I will be bringing 4 x good pre-charged packs, 2 x marginal pre-charged packs, 2 x 12V chargers, enough leads to connect them to a fullsize car, and a fullsize car to connect them to. It is just a question of whether there will be enough time. We'll see. I might have to reconsider how many classes to enter.

What are others doing regarding battery management for the event? (Or is that secret race strategy?) :)

Good question. I know LiPo dudes tend to top up after every stint.

Not sure what NiCad and Nimh dudes are planning.

If it were me I think I'd just take as many pre-charged as I can.

run lipo in my race buggies 5000 size can get 3 qualifiers out of one pack but as i have 5 lipos use one for each heat .. mite be getting my hands on a generator if m8 is happy to lend it to me

• Like 1

Notice for MHz Drivers from Rob at A1:

Right revival drivers. A lot of you have booked in for the revival meeting with 27 or 40 mhz radio gear. If you have and you haven't done so already could you please send me which crystals you have so I can put them in the computer.

Just send me the colour or number of your crystals that you have e.g. Red, 915 etc. through the enquiry page on the revival website.
When you race you will be allocated a specific crystal for that heat so it is important that I have your crystal details so that we can have this sorted and ready and just get on with the racing without having to allocate crystals on the day.

http://revival.a1racingclub.com/contact.html

The 2nd half of this video showcases the A1 Track with the view from the rostrum. The layout will probably change for the Revival but you'll certainly get the general idea. Hope it helps. :)

http://youtu.be/DhxjmV57DUk

Finalised Schedule - Entrants will be emailed this schedule along with all of the other useful information about the day.

Morning

· 07:00 Gates open for Booking in.

· 08:30 Practice Round (In heat order. Approx 10x 5 minute heats per round)

· Round 1

· Round 2

· Round 3

Lunchtime

· Monster Truck Race

· Wheelie Race

· Charity Raffle

· Concourse

Afternoon

· Round 4

· Round 5

· 2WD Champions Race

· 4WD Champions Race

· Trophies

Throughout the day

· RC Autojumble

· Charity Tombola

Concours d’elegance

Book your concourse entry in with John Weston during the morning.

John will give you a ticket to be displayed next to the car during the concourse judging. John will also check concourse eligibility at booking in.

Entries must be: 70’s/80’s/90’s Buggies or Monster Trucks. Vintage & Modern Wheelies.

Concourse is £2 cash per entry, to be paid at booking in. All entry money into the charity pot.

Charity Raffle

We have received a number of incredible prize donations towards the charity fundraising. 10-15 of these items will part of the Raffle which will be held at lunchtime.

Raffle tickets will be £5 each and the top 3 prizes are RC Cars.

· Tamiya Expert Built Lunchbox – Donated by RC Racing UK

· Tamiya Neo Fighter DT-03 – Donated by Fusion Hobbies

· Schumacher RTR Wave Runner – Donated by Schumacher

Charity Tombola

Throughout the day there will be the opportunity to win RC prizes on the Charity Tombola.

RC Autojumble

The RC Autojumble is an opportunity for entrants to bring RC gear to sell or swap with other entrants.

This has nothing to do with the charity fundraising.

Please clearly mark your for sale items, to avoid confusion.

If you do hear of people/traders who are thinking of coming purely to trade, please let John Weston or A1 know. This is a charity event and traders are not welcome without a decent contribution to the fundraising.

Best Vintage Rostrum Outfit

There will be a trophy for the best Vintage Rostrum Outfit! :)

Best Vintage Pit

The most authentic looking Vintage Pit will win a trophy. :)

• Like 3

Revival Pre-Party :D

A few of us will be meeting in Grantham Wetherspoons from 16:00 on the Saturday. The aim is to start early so people can finish early (if they want) because it's an early start on Sunday.

The Wetherspoons is right in town and is 3.7 Miles (10 minute cab) from the A1 Travelodge.

If you'd like to join us please let me know so I can keep a list going and not leave anyone behind if we decide to move on to another place during the evening. (Rumours of a Curry as well)

• Like 2

4 days left to enter or change entries.

Closing date is this Sunday.

Event Decals have arrived.

These will be available on the day for entrants to put on their entries. :)

img30876_16072014123039_1.jpg

• Like 1

I hope this event is a great success, just gutted I cannot attend due to work commitments.

If there is another one next year I will be there.

• Like 1

Personalised Souvenir 6" x 4" Cards for entrants and helpers.

At least 2 pre-cut Buggy Stickers for every entrant too.

img30876_17072014084758_1.jpg
img30876_17072014084758_2.jpg
  • Like 2