JWeston

IconicRC & A1 Racing: Revival Meeting 2014

I'm still amazed he managed 3 laps with that thing bucking everywhere :lol:

• Like 1

Well I have gone through all the photos I took at the IconicRC & A1 Revival Meeting, all 389 of them and I have picked out a grand total of 12 to put on this thread. They give a small glimpse of what went on although to get the atmosphere you had to be there.

Buggy

44a0b1b2-d45a-4f34-bc40-e2afbb409e54_zps

Circuit on a Glorius Day

dcf3ec1a-e9a7-4881-85e0-e01e5054dcf4_zps

Peanut

8064c770-4955-4039-85f1-ee348d805169_zps

Scary Willy

7d32f2f3-ddaf-42a4-b117-8ec36e8cf9c2_zps

Watching You Watching Me

f40b37a0-01d0-4f1f-aa87-51f903a1f196_zps

Its a Monster!

edfa1d40-9bce-4657-84de-00aecc75d47f_zps

Beetle Bashing

d9b07e1c-fb5c-48a9-8107-26de94ffc4eb_zps

Caught on Camera

3bfc0003-d125-44e6-89db-640b4f5c01ba_zps

TaRT:- Tamiya Racing Tractor (I've got one)

IMG_1289_zps013900ee.jpg?t=1406650921

Wheelie Time

IMG_1266_zps0b3c2128.jpg?t=1406650829

Caught on Camera Again!

IMG_1327_zps1f060215.jpg?t=1406651097

Throw the Ball, Throw the Ball.

IMG_1295_zps1bbff6cc.jpg?t=1406651013

And a great day was had by all :D

(I apologise If I have jammed up this web site with all these photos :unsure: )

Nump.T

• Like 3

We need to see them all! :lol:

Will you be putting the rest of them up anywhere?

I didn't manage any pics or videos other than the monster truck race.

I'll have you know I managed to bounce the bullhead round for 4 laps not 3 lol. Don't know how tho ☺ some fantastic pics here. Keep them coming. As John said even if you detest Facebook join with your tamiyaclub name and follow the iconic group. Well worth it ☺

• Like 1

People were discussing an Endurance event on the IconicRC Facebook page for next year's proposed Revival meeting. I have been thinking about this and come up with a twist on it: As the title says - Scrapyard Challenge.

The idea is this: Teams have (say) 3 hours to build an RC car then get as many laps in as possible (1 point per lap). To build the car they must use only what they can beg/borrow/steal from other attendees on the day within the time limit.

To discourage cheating/taking it too seriously (by, for example, "donating" a fully prepared car), the cars would be auctioned or raffled for charity at the end of the race.

I would also have a team of judges that could award points for qualities such as originality, innovation, humour and team work. The points from this should make up approx half of the potential points available.

So, most drivers were lapping the track in 30 seconds to 1 minute, so the maximum points available from this would be about 360 (say 300 given time to build the car, change batteries etc).

The money raised from the auction at the end could potentially count toward the team score too. This would encourage teams to build an attractive car.

Some draft rules could be as follows:

• Teams have 3 hours to build and race a car - 1 point for each completed lap will be awarded
  • The car must complete at least one lap to qualify.
  • Cars can be any style (buggy, monster truck etc) but must be fitted with a bodyshell and must not have any sharp edges etc that might injure marshalls.
  • Parts for cars must be sourced on site, during the 3 hour period. No pre-preparation allowed.
  • Teams will make it clear to donors that parts will not be returned as the car will be auctioned at the end with all parts attached (or in a bag if they fell off :D )
  • Cars and Teams will be judged by a panel of 3 impartial judges for qualities such as "vintageness", originality, innovation, humour and team work.
  • Each judge will be able to award 20 points for each category - i.e. 300 points total available (3 x 5 x 20)

• Cars will be auctioned for charity at the end of the race. 1 point awarded for each Pound raised.

Potential extensions:

• Entry fee includes cost of a standard silver can brushed motor which must be used (although could be modified ??)
  • Allow "contact" racing - Mwaaa haaaa haaaa!!

Thoughts?

So someone would pinch all my spares?...

I'd suggest starting a donation system specifically for the event in advance that teams can then use on the day. This is much more like the classic scrapheap challenge system... Donations could be categorized into drive train, suspension... chassis etc and there would be a number or boxes with several choices (hopefully) on the day ... I know I have a few gearboxes hanging around that I don't need and an almost complete front end of a FTX vantage ... got a couple of Madrat chassis too ... I'm sure a lot of people have odd stuff hanging around to :)

Its a good idea but think it would only work if there was a pre collection of spares and parts.

K

Or start with a standard new kit in box (perhaps a forum sponsor could do a deal on one ?) - a holiday buggy / sand rover for example as its already coloured plastic and friction shocks.

Build, install radio gear and slap it on track - first to complete 20 laps, which would at least shake out any build flaws :D

To save people joining the track at different times, each build could be presented to the judges once finished, and a time logged. Then when all are ready for the track race together, add the running time to the build time for a winner.

If you could get 10 people interested then it could be a fun and relatively cheap way to get another model and test peoples build integrity :rolleyes:

built it from scrap fast build = less reliable so mite be more fun as watching my hornet spill it guts out on track was part of

the fun :)

• Like 1

There are some great ideas here. Possibly enough for an event of their own. A "Builders and Bodgers" challenge maybe?

The Revival meeting was a great success, and I am sure it would be again if held next year. However it was a very full day, and I am not sure there would be time to add even more to the programme, especially since next year would probably have even more entrants, what with this years' attendees telling their friends how much fun they had.

However if a separate event were organised, using the ideas in this thread, I believe it could generate enough interest to stand on its own, as it were. Possibly organise it as an enduro, with two classes, one for the Builders, who race to complete a standard kit, and one for Bodgers, who take the scrapheap approach.

To add even more wierdness and fun to the proceedings, the enduro portion could be interspersed with team tasks of the "Top Gear Challenge" type, that would remain secret from the competitors until revealed by the organisers during the event.

• Like 1

Congratulations John on a superb day and raising all that money for charity!

Was fantastic seeing all those vintage cars racing!

Especially enjoyed watching the 79 to 88 heats.

I gradually got smoother and quicker with my Supershot over the course of the day, but some of those pro racer guys really were in a different league!

Here's hoping to another revival next year.

I want another go!

• Like 3

was nice to meet you XV Pilot at revival sounds like its 2 days next year so more time to just chat about vintage rc

It was very good to meet you too, and to admire the impressive range of vehicles you brought along. My wife and I were both quite taken with the Peanuts!

If next year's Revival meet is going to be a two-day affair, then yes, maybe a Builders and Bodgers challenge could form part of the event.

• Like 1

Building from a NIB kit is not really "Scrapheap Challenge", however I like the idea of separate builders and bodgers events.

The pre-collection of spares idea is fine, but would involve more work for the organisers who would have to arrange somewhere to receive them, store them and transport them to the event.

What if there were several boxes available on the day (one for chassis, one for gearboxes etc etc) for people to put unwanted spares in? The teams could either have a "Le Mans start" to grab spares from the boxes at the start of the time period (which I could see might end up in a fist fight!) or maybe draw lots to get turns choosing parts (say five minutes each).

We need to see them all! :lol: Will you be putting the rest of them up anywhere? I didn't manage any pics or videos other than the monster truck race.

Hi Lemming.

Give me a while to do a bit of cropping in photoshop and I will try to get some more pics up. I was trying to get more close ups from a lower angle but I am still recovering from ankle surgery and if I had got down to ground level I would have never got back up again.

Martin

• Like 1

Congratulations John on a superb day and raising all that money for charity!

Was fantastic seeing all those vintage cars racing!

Especially enjoyed watching the 79 to 88 heats.

I gradually got smoother and quicker with my Supershot over the course of the day, but some of those pro racer guys really were in a different league!

Here's hoping to another revival next year.

I want another go!

Cheers dude :-)

Revival 2015 already confirmed. 2WD Saturday and 4WD Sunday. Date announced early next year.

• Like 6

We're taking note of all suggestions.

I can confirm that next year will be a 2 Day event. 2WD Saturday and 4WD Sunday so that we can have a much more relaxed schedule.

• Like 2

Revival 2015 already confirmed. 2WD Saturday and 4WD Sunday. Date announced early next year.

That's what I like to hear. :)

• Like 1

I've just had a good read of this. It's a great idea but the format of the Revival 2015 is already decided and the main emphasis was making an easier time for everyone.

Brilliant idea for another event though.

This is the preliminary outline for Revival 2015.

Saturday

• 2WD Buggies
  • Lunchtime Monster Truck and Wheelie Races
  • Charity Raffle
  • Trophies
  • 3 Hour endurance race

Sunday

• 4WD Buggies
  • Lunchtime Monster Truck and Wheelie Races
  • Charity Raffle
  • Trophies

Format means people can come on either day or both days.

Camping onsite on the Saturday night.

Endurance race will be a straight 3 hours for teams and probably start around 6-7pm. Buggy rules to be decided.

• Like 1

Well, it sounds like plans for Revival 2015 are well underway. I particularly like the idea of camping on site.

Do you think there would be any scope for a session for rally cars during one of the lunch breaks?