Sign in to follow this  
Monkeysout

Bearings from Ebay China/HK ... know your sizes

Hi all,

I recently purchased some bearings from Ebay to ball race a restoration I'm doing, and I would like to share the negative experience, to help protect others. The ebay listing stated ...

Seller = pflhobbyboy

- Fit To TAMIYA PORSCHE 959 CELICA Gr.B RC Car

- 2x6x3mm x6pc

- 5x8x2.5mm x16pc

The 16 large ones fit fine but the gear box won't go back together properly with the small ones in. I managed to strip another chassis I recently purchased and found that these small ones are actually 2.5mm thick/wide, not 3mm.

- 2x6x2.5mm x6pc = correct

I contacted the seller but in very poor English they say the fault is mine. I tried to ask them to remove the false statement about fitting 2x Tamiya cars but they are not interested.

I search other sellers and 2 are selling bearing kits with the wrong size, 3mm, and 2 are selling the kits with the right size, 2.5mm.

I can't open an ebay case because its over 45 days old, 35 of those in shipping.

Be careful fellow TC members !

• Like 1

Sorry to say it but this is what happens when you buy junk from unknown sellers in China . Far East bearings are generally rubbish .

Hmmm - a misleading listing

you could still report this to eBay

I've bought bearings from the same seller recently, mine were a set for a Blazing Star albeit i only bought this set as a means of getting a load of 1150 and 850 bearings for other projects. I had no fitment issues with those items.

Sorry to say it but this is what happens when you buy junk from unknown sellers in China . Far East bearings are generally rubbish .

On an engineering front I'd absolutely agree, but buying any hobby sized bearings in the UK is a gamble as to where they were actually sourced. If you find a good supplier, best stick with them, and hope their incoming source is stable.

Dave usually when I need bearings I go to my Local Bearings Factor . Cheaper than buying online , you know what brand your buying and if you take a sample they will match it for you . Usually I buy SKF Brand . .

Dave usually when I need bearings I go to my Local Bearings Factor . Cheaper than buying online , you know what brand your buying and if you take a sample they will match it for you . Usually I buy SKF Brand . .

That's fine if you can go to the parts counter and see for yourself, but not everyone can. I wasn't trying to be argumentative , my point was that buying from uk RC/hobby retailers doesn't guarantee high quality uk bearings, that's all

• Like 1

Agreed, and if your upgrading worn plastic spacers to ball bearings, you won't have an original to measure/check.

Had a similar experience with Tamtech 1:24 bearing sets - it seems they have no idea what actually goes into a Tamtech car. The front bearings were too wide, but I made them fit by leaving off an e-clip at each front upright - the compromised performance is still better than stock bearings, so I appear to be all right with it just now.

But when I explained this to them, they asked me to 'send a video' as evidence, as if they would not trust photos.

Generally, I have had luck with Far East sellers as I know what I am looking for, but I would never purchase from that seller again.

Had a similar experience with Tamtech 1:24 bearing sets - it seems they have no idea what actually goes into a Tamtech car. The front bearings were too wide, but I made them fit by leaving off an e-clip at each front upright - the compromised performance is still better than stock bearings, so I appear to be all right with it just now.

But when I explained this to them, they asked me to 'send a video' as evidence, as if they would not trust photos.

Generally, I have had luck with Far East sellers as I know what I am looking for, but I would never purchase from that seller again.

I had the exact same problem with my Tamtech car.

That's ok Dave it wasn't a argument just where I buy my bearings from . Not everyone is lucky enough to have a bearings stockist nearby or have the time to visit one in person . Mines near work on the same business park so its easy to just pop in as required .

I found a stockist near my office this arvo - unfortunately they want £3 per 1150 bearing !

That's daylight robbery - hope you told them to Foxtrot Oscar

Of course, but then i found simplybearings website to be similar prices too !

I knew I was taking a gamble on quality, £7 for a 22 bearings inc shipping is very very cheap, but I was sure they would be better than worn plastic spacers.

What amazes me is even after a polite long email detailing the correct sizes and double checking sizes of originals (from my friends chassis) with a digital caliper, the seller refuses to change their description/listing. I'm not worried about a refund or replacement's, I just wanted them to fix their listing for future buyers.

The latest email from them this morning said they will not be changing their listing/description because they sell many and I'm the first to complain. Strange since the gear box half's have a 1mm gap when assembled with these oversized bearings ?

Last time I've bought bearings from rcbearings.co.uk, 8.50GBP for 10-pack rubber sealed

At this price, no reason for me to buy from unknown ebay sellers

Funny sad thing, at a local hardware (not hobby, just tools and bearings) shop I'd have to pay almost 5 times the price.

Just got the right size from RC bearings, missed them last time because i searched for 'bearing celica porsche 959' and not just browsed their whole bearing section. Cheers all.