wood5tock

Wood5tock's Frog build

Did you go over the edges of the masking with your finger nail prior to painting? I find that trick helps preventing bleeding most of the time.

• Like 1

Always use Tamiya masking tape... Always...

And it's a good idea to start painting as soon as you can after laying down the tape and burnishing down the edges. Start with a few light mist coats to help seal the edges of the tape, don't "go for broke" and spray a heavy coat from the start.

Yes, scratching away with a toothpick (won't scratch) or scalpel will work to get rid of the bleeds, but do it quickly before the paint cures. It won't matter if you scratch the plastic inside on the areas that will be painted over with white, but be careful on the windows.

Or you can use a toothpick or Q-tip dipped in Tamiya Polycarbonate Body Cleaner.

- J

• Like 1

Did you go over the edges of the masking with your finger nail prior to painting? I find that trick helps preventing bleeding most of the time.

Always use Tamiya masking tape... Always...

And it's a good idea to start painting as soon as you can after laying down the tape and burnishing down the edges. Start with a few light mist coats to help seal the edges of the tape, don't "go for broke" and spray a heavy coat from the start.

Yes, scratching away with a toothpick (won't scratch) or scalpel will work to get rid of the bleeds, but do it quickly before the paint cures. It won't matter if you scratch the plastic inside on the areas that will be painted over with white, but be careful on the windows.

Or you can use a toothpick or Q-tip dipped in Tamiya Polycarbonate Body Cleaner.

- J

To be honest even though I am well practiced in spraying and airbushing stuff over quite a few years for some reason I had a total brain fart on this one, using bad masking tape, leaving 24hrs between masking and painting, forgetting to burnish the edges etc etc. In fact with the experience I have I really do deserve a slap :lol::lol::lol::ph34r:

I did mist coat the area before applying the proper coats so that's something I guess :rolleyes:

A bit more done this afternoon/evening, managed to save the roll cage bleed issue thankfully so I could get on with using proper masking tape to do the pink strip.

frog_rere_203.jpg

frog_rere_204.jpg

frog_rere_205.jpg

frog_rere_206.jpg

I also finished prepping 'Glenn' ready for his coat of primer

frog_rere_207.jpg

frog_rere_208.jpg

frog_rere_209.jpg

I also put the spot lamps together

frog_rere_210.jpg

frog_rere_211.jpg

frog_rere_212.jpg

Then as a final job I decided to add the chassis guard (almost called it a sump guard :lol::lol::lol::ph34r: )

frog_rere_213.jpg

frog_rere_214.jpg

• Like 1

Wood5tock, your posts are fantastic. I had the same problem with masking tape yesterday on my first ever build, the Novafox. I tried to replicate your roll cage and had a bit of black bleeding through the masking tape. Luckily most will be hidden by decals.

Looking forward to seeing this Frog finished.

• Like 1

A 'sump guard?' It guards 'sumpthing,' doesn't it?

Looking forward to seeing the paint applied!

• Like 2

With the famous pink stripe done it was time to do the white. As with all my runner versions I am continuing the theme of using a pearlescent version of the original box art colours, in this case PS-57. I was going to do the pink in PS-50 backed with the original PS-11 but lost my bottle as I didn't know if the PS-50 would work :ph34r:

With the PS-57 dry i then backed everything with original PS-1 white :)

frog_rere_215.jpg

I then pulled of all the spray film to reveal...

...Well to be honest something a little disappointing :( I don't really know where my head was at with this one but it isn't up to my standard. However this is a runner and I will buy a new body in the future and re-do it for my own sanity :P

frog_rere_216.jpg

With the body not filling me with much pride I had second thoughts about applying decals at this stage, but I figured the paint job wasn't enough of a debacle to get to precious. If it was a vintage 'shelf queen' it would be a different matter ;)

frog_rere_217.jpg

frog_rere_218.jpg

Top sides done

frog_rere_219.jpg

And here we have a finished body, not to bad after all :lol:

frog_rere_220.jpg

frog_rere_221.jpg

The weather has gone a bit nasty today so I will have to prime Glenn and his spot lamps another day this week so stay tooned :)

• Like 4

Hard to tell on the photos wood5tock but are you happy with the pearl finish?? Was thinking of the same for when I finally build mine.

Chris

I am happy with colour it's self as it's a subtle twist on the original box art, I'm just not happy with the way it came out or rather how I did it in the first place :(

When I get a replacement shell in the future I will also try out the metallic pink backed in the solid pink, which I should have done in the first place.

I'm not sure what planet I was on when I attempted this :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Great build thread Wood5tock! It takes a brave man to crack out a can of Pink but I think in your commitment to a boxart approach you pulled it off nicely :)

• Like 1

I wish I would have seen this thread before I started my own Frog build. Lesson learned. ;) Great thread Woodstock.