Theibault

Runner vs Shelf Queen

But is it Dave956 ? If that's what you enjoy who's to say its wrong ? Your not harming anyone by doing it . I feel that generally there is far too much pressure to conform these days and that being a maverick is no bad thing . Even within this friendly forum there are those that think a certain car should look a certain way .

Say's who ? Its yours to do with as you please , modify as you please and paint as you please . Who actually cares if someone don't appreciate your efforts ?

While its good to get positive comments I don't lose any sleep if someone makes a negative one . . Their opinion is equally valid .

• Like 6

HI!... The same thing could be said when I took a Chevy 350 block and put it next to my garage and put 8 flowers in the cylinders. lol! Great flower pot. I finally found something a Chevy is good for! lol!

• Like 2

Ok. I've got this really nice glass case with the shelfers in it. BT50, JPS and Kenny Roberts Yamaha. If I cross purposed that case it would be a good habitat for pet mice with something to chew on and use as a latrine. Sounds wrong to me :wacko:

• Like 1

All joking aside, I was thinking about the NIB collectors since that's an aspect of collecting I never really understood. I realized I do that too in a sort of way. I have a couple of very vintage static Tamiya kits that aren't really on the agenda to build. I've built them before but don't have them anymore, it's a nostalgia thing to have them and know that if I wanted to build them that I could. There's a couple more I'd like to have and eventually will. I like knowing they're here is what it means to me....if that makes sense

• Like 1

Hey all

How do actually build a shelf queen..?

I have two 801xt's and all the option parts, one is a runner and the other is still NIB. So do I build the SQ minus all the fluids/lubricants?

Hey all

How do actually build a shelf queen..?

I have two 801xt's and all the option parts, one is a runner and the other is still NIB. So do I build the SQ minus all the fluids/lubricants?

Got one model designed to be thrashed within a its life. Added every hop-up, the rarer the better. Then put it on a shelf and never use it.

But is it Dave956 ? If that's what you enjoy who's to say its wrong ? Your not harming anyone by doing it . I feel that generally there is far too much pressure to conform these days and that being a maverick is no bad thing . Even within this friendly forum there are those that think a certain car should look a certain way .

Say's who ? Its yours to do with as you please , modify as you please and paint as you please . Who actually cares if someone don't appreciate your efforts ?

While its good to get positive comments I don't lose any sleep if someone makes a negative one . . Their opinion is equally valid .

same comment still holds true IMO

Great thread. I buy models I like, some are historically significant (to me) and some I like for the modern design and technology. I only buy Tamiya.

I never build car to be a shelf queen. All my builds are fully functioning runners, but I rarely get time to run my cars. As a result, they are shelf queens, but with the occasional leg stretch. I ran my vintage Egress, but I ran it with care. I kick the ******* off my Avante Black Special, and will also do the same with my TRF models which are the main cars I run. I reckon my Mountian Rider is more for the build experience and my Dynastorm will only be for occasional use. MyThundershot will be spanked in the same way I ran my childhood QD version.

Generally though, it's all about the build, and inevitably they will all be predominantly shelf queens.

• Like 2

For me it is mostly the building experience. I love getting a way from a hectic working/having small kids life, and just enjoy assembling a fresh kit. I normally intend to drive my cars, but rarely have the time to actually do it. If I do drive them, it is almost sure, I never empty the battery, before I am done again. Maybe if I got back to the old NICD 1200 mah. packs, I will empty them :)

Some cars are driven less hard than others, but ofcourse there are cars that have and will be around for ages, so if I want a shelfqueen, it is almost sure to get a NIB easily. I have a few NIB's, but it is not really my kind of thing, so my NIB's are more in a queue to be built.

• Like 2

For me it is mostly the building experience.  I love getting a way from a hectic working/having small kids life, and just enjoy assembling a fresh kit. I normally intend to drive my cars, but rarely have the time to actually do it. If I do drive them, it is almost sure, I never empty the battery, before I am done again. Maybe if I got back to the old NICD 1200 mah. packs, I will empty them  :)

Some cars are driven less hard than others, but ofcourse there are cars that have and will be around for ages, so if I want a shelfqueen, it is almost sure to get a NIB easily. I have a few NIB's, but it is not really my kind of thing, so my NIB's are more in a queue to be built.

I love the build but I like the Build, Break, Begin Again cycle. They all sit watching me in the front room but the all have dirt and damage

• Like 1

I have a dozen 1980's motorbikes. I bought them all over many years with my own hard-earned money because I wanted them. They don't get ridden very often at all, I fettle them in the garage when needed but mostly they just sit there making me happy. I don't consider myself a collector, I'm not trying to acquire a set of anything - I just buy what I like (driven by nostalgia) and never seem to sell any. They're not displayed nicely by the way, I don't have the space for that. They do (mostly) all run though, I don't want them to be purely static ornaments. Now and then I meet up with like-minded mates and we have a bit of fun. Most of my friends I met through that shared interest. My missus understands and encourages my hobby and joins in too. If I post pictures of the bikes online there'll be a load of people telling me to ride them more often but I'm not interested in anyone else's opinion. My life, my money, no-one else's business.

Exactly the same with my RC cars.

• Like 4

This is a great thread. My collection of tamiya is very small compared to others. Ive got a mixture of shelf queens and runners. The shelf queens are my vintage clod which me and my brother had as kids. I have used it but cleaned it up. Its decades old and has a lot of memories attached so I don't want to damage it which can easily happen with it being the hard plastic shell. Same goes for the blackfoot. Its a vintage model with the hard shell and one that I always wanted as a kid so that's staying on the shelf too.

When I want to have a bit of fun I've got my re re hornet, which again was a childhood model I always wanted. With it being a re re though it can be easily replaced and they're tough little buggies. Also my baja champ is my 4 wheel drive basher buggy. Again these are tough little things and gives a different experience to the 2 wheel drive hornet. My favourite basher though is my wt01 monster beetle. Combining go anywhere performance and my favourite tamiya the monster beetle. When I say basher I don't drive them off a roof or do things to see how much damage they take but just drive all out with them and don't worry like I would with my vintage stuff.

I have to say I do enjoy the building and modifying part more than the driving (still love the driving). One thing I could never do would be to buy a kit and never build it. That woild be like locking an alcoholic in a pub and expecting them not to drink. :lol:

Thats whats great about this hobby though. It has NIB collectors, shelf queens collectors, racers, bashers, scalers and modders. So many ways to enjoy it.

• Like 1

This is a great thread. My collection of tamiya is very small compared to others. Ive got a mixture of shelf queens and runners. The shelf queens are my vintage clod which me and my brother had as kids. I have used it but cleaned it up. Its decades old and has a lot of memories attached so I don't want to damage it which can easily happen with it being the hard plastic shell. Same goes for the blackfoot. Its a vintage model with the hard shell and one that I always wanted as a kid so that's staying on the shelf too.

When I want to have a bit of fun I've got my re re hornet, which again was a childhood model I always wanted. With it being a re re though it can be easily replaced and they're tough little buggies. Also my baja champ is my 4 wheel drive basher buggy. Again these are tough little things and gives a different experience to the 2 wheel drive hornet. My favourite basher though is my wt01 monster beetle. Combining go anywhere performance and my favourite tamiya the monster beetle. When I say basher I don't drive them off a roof or do things to see how much damage they take but just drive all out with them and don't worry like I would with my vintage stuff.

I have to say I do enjoy the building and modifying part more than the driving (still love the driving). One thing I could never do would be to buy a kit and never build it. That woild be like locking an alcoholic in a pub and expecting them not to drink. :lol:

Thats whats great about this hobby though. It has NIB collectors, shelf queens collectors, racers, bashers, scalers and modders. So many ways to enjoy it.

And no one aspect of the Hobby is wrong . I dont like shelf queens or NIB personally but if they give someone enjoyment then whats wrong with that ?

Just do your own thing and have fun .

• Like 2