backtomyroots

CROSS-RC 6x6 Military Truck

Build impressions:

• No English text in manual but the manual is step by step
  • The assembly in the manual is for the entire manual but the kit includes assembled transmission, axles and partially assembled oil dampers. As such close attention must be paid to attaching the links to the axles
  • Parts trees are well labelled, parts bas not so much - all Chinese but you can find what you need
  • Parts in the margin are not to scale (washers, screws)

Quality Impressions:

• kit has gone together well so far
  • screws thread into the plastic no problem, no stripped hardware
  • axles and transmission have been tested an run smoothly
  • shock mounts are plastic and designed similar to the High Lift series which Tamiya made of steel
  • shocks are a bit of a "cheap" concern, hard to describe really. I was out of oil so built them dry but get the impression they may be "leakers"
  • builds like a Tamiya semi-kit

Included driveshafts on the left are black, also included are red "hardened" ones which indicate some type of original problem so I just bought my own replacements from junfac:

img7434_10052014235905_6.jpg

Axles came assembled but ran smooth, here's a shot inside the front:

img7434_12052014051125_5.jpg

Axles all linked up for install on the chassis:

img7434_12052014051125_6.jpg

Rolling chassis - standard 12mm hex - wheels are beadlock and came pre assembled:

img7434_12052014051807_1.jpg

img7434_12052014051807_3.jpg

Next is the install of electronics and body construction which looks to be a long model build !

• Like 1

Looks rather good so far. The lack of differentials is a bit of a let down though. The stub axle also seem quite long in comparison with most buggy axles, are the wheels particularly thick, or is there just a lot of thread on the axles?

Looks rather good so far. The lack of differentials is a bit of a let down though. The stub axle also seem quite long in comparison with most buggy axles, are the wheels particularly thick, or is there just a lot of thread on the axles?

Yep. it's "all shaft" but once the drive axle is on to fit the wheel it's more standard (like a long txt ale then adding the drive hub). The wheels I think are "just about an inch" haven't had a proper check.

img7434_12052014150306_1.jpg

Underneath:

img7434_12052014150306_3.jpg

Size along beside Bruiser Re Release:

img7434_12052014150306_4.jpg

At first, I thought that the chassis had a striking resemblance to the RC4WD Beast & Worminator but on close inspection not so much !

I built up an RC4WD glenade 1, and had similar issues with drive shaft quality.

You were good to buy the Junfacs. They are really great bullet proof shafts!

Now that the chassis is built, you get to flex your model building skill on that huge body!

Cheers,

Skottoman

• Like 1

Now that the chassis is built, you get to flex your model building skill on that huge body!

Well, difficult to match the master but I'll see what I can do, mostly stock this will be.

Colour thoughts folks ?

Tamiya AS-15 Spray Laquer Tan

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/paints-finishes-60/tamiya-color-spray-as-61800/as-15-tan-(usaf)-86515

Tamiya TS-46 Light Sand (Leaning towards this)

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/paints-finishes-60/tamiya-color-spray-ts-61500/ts-46-light-sand-85046

Need a spray colour as I haven't an airbrush so the Desert Yellow is out as I think it's just in the small bottle and I am not brushing this paint on :o . Looking for a "Desert Look".

Have begun assembly of the body/Bed but have to stop for some home renovations and to pick up some more plastruct Weld, primer paint etc.

• Like 1

Nice progress.

Having seen the chassis, kind of wonder why Tamiya hasn't put out something similar especially their 1/14 trucks have been around for ages and is still stuck in the civilian application. :huh:

Now that you are half way there and gone through the parts, is it good value for what you paid? About right?, Less than what is worth? More than what is worth?

Nice progress.

Having seen the chassis, kind of wonder why Tamiya hasn't put out something similar especially their 1/14 trucks have been around for ages and is still stuck in the civilian application. :huh:

Now that you are half way there and gone through the parts, is it good value for what you paid? About right?, Less than what is worth? More than what is worth?

Some slight disappointment (ie: plastic shock mount towers - metal on other brands) but happy with the axles and transmission so far.

The plastic is quality on most parts I would suggest but seemed a bit soft on the shock towers and the rear light brackets but only time will tell.

The body is made of thick plastic and the build has begun ! Seems very robust (The cab is prebuilt but beginning the bed and extras now). I'm building this properly with Plastruct weld and allowing it to bond and it seems it will last.

More to come, just tied up with home renovations at the moment and a few other items.

I'll have a better "feeling" about the value when I get her all done, but I can say thus far don't pay Ebay prices - score one at Stellamodels for a real deal B) .

I picked up a can of light sand yesterday as I was looking for a yellowy tan colour for my k100 build. I would certainly consider it for a colour choice in your aplication. Especially since as you say desert yellow isn't available in the TS range. :)

It's coming along nicely! Must stay away from this thread, you are making me want one! :o

I picked up a can of light sand yesterday as I was looking for a yellowy tan colour for my k100 build. I would certainly consider it for a colour choice in your aplication. Especially since as you say desert yellow isn't available in the TS range. :)

It's coming along nicely! Must stay away from this thread, you are making me want one! :o

As did I ! Drove to 3 Hobby Stores and found only one can :blink: .

Problem, radio tray is enclosed and clearly built to house the included light kit, an esc and a receiver. MFC is not going to stuff in there ! Battery mounts on top as per instruction sheet (as pictured):

img7434_12052014150306_5.jpg

Solution is I had some tall servo mounts that I shoe goo'd to the chassis, they just clear the MFC unit. I will build a battery tray to put above the MFC - problem solved ! Still will have to mount the control box but that may go under the bed of the truck in place of the included goodies.

img7434_12052014150306_6.jpg

The bed has involved some serious model/plastic bonding, buy two bottles of Plastruct Weld !

• Like 3

Quick and short update - added the "shaker" unit - had to mount it to a cross member and it just clears underneath the bed when mounted. Bed is assembled and primed

Now awaiting any LHS to get the paint colour back in stock before I can continue . . .. . . . .

img7434_05062014040939_1.jpg

thought you went AWOL on us:-D bummer you have to wait for the paint. no sure where abouts are you, but if you are in scarborough area there is a shop by N/W of ellsemere north of 401 by McCowan ,Adance hobby?, they may have the paint. ..or you called all LHS already.

a question, are the diff all locked?

look fwd to the complete build!

thought you went AWOL on us:-D bummer you have to wait for the paint. no sure where abouts are you, but if you are in scarborough area there is a shop by N/W of ellsemere north of 401 by McCowan ,Adance hobby?, they may have the paint. ..or you called all LHS already.

Just been busy - finished the txt-2 off and been scouring for paint for this bad boy.

Diffs are all locked from the factory ! I may have a line on some paint but it's 2 hrs away plus I'm working the next 7 afternoons - so updates will be slow to say the least <_< .

More:

Chassis attached to bed of truck, speaker box mounted in included speaker box, painted and mounted the MFU control box underneath the bed on the driver side. Best location I could find and allow the wires to reach the MFU.

Now waiting on a delivery of 5mm LEDS . One ting to note, the front bumper is mounted to the cab by 2 small 2mm screws and the bumper then mounts the chassis to the cab - not too "sturdy" I say - :blink: . Lots of glue required to attach the windows and accessories too.

Also need to finalize a battery tray mount above the MFU - not sure my "shoo goo'd" servo posts will hold up to the task of a styrene battery tray.

img7434_18062014235232_3.jpg

img7434_18062014235232_4.jpg

img7434_18062014235232_6.jpg

• Like 1

OMG! Sweet!

Do you think the upper shockmounts in the front will hold? Looks fragile...

Badboy

OMG! Sweet!

Do you think the upper shockmounts in the front will hold? Looks fragile...

Badboy

Highs:

• Sheer size
  • Scale goodness
  • Included LED set
  • Body Detail
  • Metal Frame Chassis with scale axles
  • Weight
  • Wheels and tires pre - assembled

Lows:

• Some vital components are made of a "soft" plastic (ie: shock mounts, rear light canisters, tow hooks, wiper blades)
  • Screw diagrams in manual are not too scale (Keep a ruler handy)
  • Axles/Transmission pre-assembled - depending on your view, require disassembly to ensure proper lubrication and mesh
  • One rear axle had a slight "unsmoothness" though seems okay now

Recommendations:

• Use the included LEDS
  • Purchase the Cross-RC speaker and Sound unit
  • Fitting the MFC a bit of an overkill, otherwise
  • Purchase the optional metal shock towers - stock plastic seems a bit soft considering the weight of the truck !

Would I purchase again ?

YES !

nice results along with the front wheel weld fenders. can you and would you put an interior in....maybe from Tamiya big rigs, provided it will fit?

nice results along with the front wheel weld fenders. can you and would you put an interior in....maybe from Tamiya big rigs, provided it will fit?

The dash would be too short lengthwise I believe but some work could be done. Since I built it different than standard hard to say but I have some 1/14th seats from a semi build and looks like you could work something out.

Sized beside my TXT-2 Agrios:

img7434_29062014150046_1.jpg

img7434_29062014150046_2.jpg

I will get some proper outside on the landscape photos in a week or so when time permits.

There is a new version now available with a better body and all the sound and light equipment in the kit, metal plated parts and a few other hop ups.

I would BUY this one:

http://www.stellamodels.com.hk/kc6l-military-truck-p-8363.html

Excellent - but far too clean lol . The only thing i would personally change is to colour match the wheels to the body . IMO that would look far more realistic , then get some weathering done . Powdered pastel rubbed into the paint works well .

Excellent - but far too clean lol . The only thing i would personally change is to colour match the wheels to the body . IMO that would look far more realistic , then get some weathering done . Powdered pastel rubbed into the paint works well .

I will paint the white bead lock rings - great eye .

Most likely black to match the wheels though - :P .

The paint peeled right off and cracked right off the cheap plastic "mud flaps" even having used primer first - so I'm hesitant to paint the wheels and bead lock rings.

These cross 6x6 trucks look quite capable from your link and should be a lot of fun running her. Be interesting if one put a very low T motor and slicks and try to drift a 6x6..

I like the military version of the new dump truck over the civiliant red version.

The tie rods used to secure the axles and for steering somehow don't look quite right, but I have no suggestion what they should look like, maybe like those beefier rods from Axial?

Holy moly that looks massive next to the txt-2! :o

You have done a nice job of it, I like the way you have side mounted the control panel and painted it to match the body :) I thought you were rather brave installing the mfc-03 but you have certainly made it work, and it has a lot more functions than the cross rc one. In saying that, I think you have sold me on getting that 8x8 I wanted, and I will get the cross rc sound unit too! :) Will get the suspension mounts as well as I have heard of another buyer recommending them B)

Cheers

Looks massive.

If you have no intentions to add an interior / cockpit I think I'd be tempted to paint the inside of the cabin matt black - it looks odd being the same colour as the exterior looking "in" through the windows - if that makes sense?

Wheels, done - good idea.

More to come - ? Too many other projects going on so this is "it" for now.