BangkokBulldog

M-06 Resto Cal VW Bug.

Hi All,

Inspired by a couple of other members VW's I decided to have a go at one myself. As a fan of the resto-cal style, I thought I would go for the lowered, Fuchs wheels and clean body look. I decided to add a front spoiler to make it look a bit racier and help the front look lower. I'ts still not 100% finished as I am still deciding whether or not to add the bumpers or nerf bars, also an exhaust needs to be sourced.

Cheers!

Steve

wrb4.jpg

ij38.jpg

2iqa.jpg

df51.jpg

7pjt.jpg

r8qp.jpg

lvgz.jpg

1ova.jpg

g4y1.jpg

u3wr.jpg

• Like 6

Fantastic job Steve - unusual choice of colour but works really really well.

• Like 1

I reckon it would look great with some minimalist bumpers consisting of no more than a short piece of vertical tubing attached to each protruding bumper hardpoint. You could use styrene tube.

• Like 1

Yeah, 'T-bars' came to mind when i saw the lack of bumpers. At the moment it just look's like you havent put the bumper on yet :-)

Not overly keen on the spoiler, but each to their own.

Needs a nice 'exhaust' on it now and some American plates from Rogue Elements. Check them out, nice items!

• Like 1

Maybe you can find a chrome body parts tree from a Kyosho Street Beetle with the T bars.

IMG_0183_zps2d97dc22.jpg

I've got an extra one or two for just such occasion!

• Like 1

This looks fantastic! I was actually looking for original style front end when I built the STUMPscorcher, as I love the droopy bonnet look...

As a thought, Toykid makes a nice sidewinder style exhaust on Shapeways, that would work well?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1236493/srb-vw-engine-part-6a-of-6-sidewinder-exhaust.html?li=shop-results&materialId=62

Otherwise I agree with the others - keep it simple with just a pair of bumper over-riders front and rear, AC Cobra style...

Jx

• Like 2

This looks fantastic! I was actually looking for original style front end when I built the STUMPscorcher, as I love the droopy bonnet look...

As a thought, Toykid makes a nice sidewinder style exhaust on Shapeways, that would work well?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1236493/srb-vw-engine-part-6a-of-6-sidewinder-exhaust.html?li=shop-results&materialId=62

Otherwise I agree with the others - keep it simple with just a pair of bumper over-riders front and rear, AC Cobra style...

Jx

x2 with jen, great look you got there

• Like 1

Thanks ladies and gents, I agree that the T bars would look best, just got to try and find some/fabricate some.

Will have a looky around in ye olde parts box.

• Like 1

IMO a Cal Looker Should only have nerf bars . Anything else makes it a restro Bug .

• Like 1

I'm loving those fat rear tyres and that awesome stance.

I'm not sure on the difference between resto cal or cal look?

Is cal look the original look from the 80's when I used to read Street Machine and go to Santa Pods Bug meets?

I really like the towel rail bumpers on the 2nd photo, but really you can't go wrong which ever way you go, the most important thing is too please yourself and choose what you like the most!!!

Yes Grump Kecks - Cal Look is pure 80's . Very minimal , low , smooth and clean - and definitely no bumpers . Resto Cal came later - Again clean low and smooth but with period fittings and bumpers being the in thing . Basically the Cops where hassling people for running without bumpers .

• Like 2

Well, after trying to find suitable nerf bars, I decided just to knock some up using the leftover sprue trees. Not perfect but they'll have to do!

Cheers,

Steve

fst0.jpg

71ao.jpg

59i6.jpg

jis1.jpg

76ev.jpg

jyhp.jpg

4upd.jpg

Now to find an exhaust! :D

• Like 1

Now that works :D . Great use of the pen mate - looks fantastic

Looks great, looks like it should have a porker engine in the back!