fadi.join

Questions on building The Tamiya Bruiser

Hello All.. this is my first time participate, i bought a bruiser today and waiting for it to arrive :)

Questions please

1. is it very hard to build it?

2. How much time do i need to build it?

3. Any special tools required?

4. is there any waterproof protection for the MFC2

5. where can i buy an off-road bumper (ARB) Style and snorkeler for my bruiser?

Thanx All and wish to hear some encouraging answers :)

post-42478-0-35522300-1395788231_thumb.j

First of all, welcome aboard!

Think you're going to enjoy the kit. I presume it's the new release, isn't it?

The Bruiser must be one of the most complex kits to build nowadays, because you have to build the transmission gearcase yourself. I guarantee you it is going to be a slow process, and you have to follow closely, and I mean REALLY closely, the steps shown in the building manual. if you do so, you should not have any problems.

You'll need a regular set of screw drivers, a sharp knife for the plastics, and maybe a small file.

There isn't any "official" way to waterproof the MFC2. You have o find a way yourself to do so and customize some case or something for it.

The bumper and snorkel can be found on eBay or you can also try RC4WD.com

If you need any advice when building the truck don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure the TCers here will be glad to help you with that awesome Toyota pick-up!! :)

• Like 1

Hello All.. this is my first time participate, i bought a bruiser today and waiting for it to arrive :)

Questions please

If you can read and follow the drawings, the build in not that hard.

I would think 3 days max. as if you are doing an eight hr shift per day

Your regular hand tools and get a good fine qualtiy paint brush and masking tape for the body detailings. And I think the instructions will inform you what tools you'll need.

Don't know, but lilely is availale.

try www.rc4wd.com

The body will take the longest to finish. Not sure how the MFC will fit into the radio box unless the rere has a newer version of the radio box that I'm not familiar with

The Bruiser must be one of the most complex kits to build nowadays, because you have to build the transmission gearcase yourself. I guarantee you it is going to be a slow process, and you have to follow closely, and I mean REALLY closely, the steps shown in the building manual. if you do so, you should not have any problems.

You'll need a regular set of screw drivers, a sharp knife for the plastics, and maybe a small file.

There isn't any "official" way to waterproof the MFC2. You have o find a way yourself to do so and customize some case or something for it.

If you need any advice when building the truck don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure the TCers here will be glad to help you with that awesome Toyota pick-up!! :)

Thanx Alot, ya i guess it will need alot of attention, it didnt arrive yet, But will defenetly Ask for help :) Thanx again

• Like 1

The body will take the longest to finish. Not sure how the MFC will fit into the radio box unless the rere has a newer version of the radio box that I'm not familiar with

Hmmm, i saw some videos with fitted MFC's in them, but in this case they tinted the windshield for not seeing the mfc.. What do you mean by the body?? you mean the body paint?

Questions please

If you can read and follow the drawings, the build in not that hard.

I would think 3 days max. as if you are doing an eight hr shift per day

Your regular hand tools and get a good fine qualtiy paint brush and masking tape for the body detailings. And I think the instructions will inform you what tools you'll need.

Don't know, but lilely is availale.

try www.rc4wd.com

Thank you, so you mean about 24 hours of work, Hmm, thats good, I can handle even if its 48 hours :) the problem is that im from jordan, and i ordered the bruiser from ebay, and they cant ship me Tamiya paints on plane, its not allowed, so i will have to figure out an idea how to paint it..

Hello All again, as i was reading aroound i didnt get if the MFC2 fits well in the Tamiya Bruiser, i just ordered my order yesterday and the supplier didnt ship it yet, if it doesnt work with it i can cancel the MFC2, what if i remove the interiour for mre space, and titnt the windshield, will it fit? did anyone try it?

Thanx

I've not even started my Bruiser build, but looking at everything that included in the MFC-02 I think you are going to have a real battle to get it to fit. The MFC-02 is designed for the hi-lift models with their different chassis design..

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53957

When Joe Anderson built his Bruiser over on TamiyaUSA he used the TLU-02 lighting units..

https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/building-the-bruiser-by-joe-anderson-599?category_id=7&type=article

Looking at Joe's build again i'd say it's nigh on impossible to get the complete MFC-02 in there.

Maybe someone more familiar with the Bruiser can clarify.

Perhaps worth contacting TC members who have built the Bruiser re-re - only ten listed in the TC showrooms..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/userridescat.asp?id=1259&cat=2

of which backtomyroots is probably the most regular poster on the forum

Is this your first R/C build ?

I had a look at my built Bruiser Re release and my new in the box MFC-03 unit.

I think if you do not install the interior you can install the MFC unit and the speaker where the interior seat would go.

You would need to make a custom styrene sheet to mount them but I think it would fit and yes a window tint would help hide that mess. Not sure where a good place to mount the vibration unit would be but I'm in a rush.

If you want to skip the sounds and just have all the lights lit up a great option ( I have on another truck of mine) is a light kit from RC4WD ad its cheap too:

http://store.rc4wd.com/LED-Basic-Lighting-System-For-Mojave-Body-Set_p_2345.html

Also on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC4WD-LED-Basic-Lighting-System-For-Mojave-Body-BRUISER-HILUX-F350-Z-E0016-/291094261276?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c691ee1c

You must buy a full ball bearing kit for the truck if it doesn't include any (I can't remember if it does or not).

If you order the MFC unit you do not need an electronic speed controller as it is built into the unit. If you do not order the MFC unit then you must order an electronic speed controller.

You must order a 4 channel radio specifically built for the MFC unit such as the new Futaba 4YWD radio (Recommended) in order to use it properly. You can also use the older Futaba Attack 4VWD but get the newer one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-4YWD-4-channel-2-4GHZ-Transmitter-w-R214GF-E-Receiver-for-RC-Truck-Tank-/281294268669?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417e71e8fd

To keep it simple use this radio even if you don't get the MFC too.

My Bruiser re release:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=115311&sid=7434

Let us know exactly what you buy and we will help you through the build.

Is this your first R/C build ?

I had a look at my built Bruiser Re release and my new in the box MFC-03 unit.

I think if you do not install the interior you can install the MFC unit and the speaker where the interior seat would go.

You would need to make a custom styrene sheet to mount them but I think it would fit and yes a window tint would help hide that mess. Not sure where a good place to mount the vibration unit would be but I'm in a rush.

If you want to skip the sounds and just have all the lights lit up a great option ( I have on another truck of mine) is a light kit from RC4WD ad its cheap too:

http://store.rc4wd.com/LED-Basic-Lighting-System-For-Mojave-Body-Set_p_2345.html

Also on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC4WD-LED-Basic-Lighting-System-For-Mojave-Body-BRUISER-HILUX-F350-Z-E0016-/291094261276?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c691ee1c

You must buy a full ball bearing kit for the truck if it doesn't include any (I can't remember if it does or not).

If you order the MFC unit you do not need an electronic speed controller as it is built into the unit. If you do not order the MFC unit then you must order an electronic speed controller.

You must order a 4 channel radio specifically built for the MFC unit such as the new Futaba 4YWD radio (Recommended) in order to use it properly. You can also use the older Futaba Attack 4VWD but get the newer one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-4YWD-4-channel-2-4GHZ-Transmitter-w-R214GF-E-Receiver-for-RC-Truck-Tank-/281294268669?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417e71e8fd

To keep it simple use this radio even if you don't get the MFC too.

My Bruiser re release:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=115311&sid=7434

Let us know exactly what you buy and we will help you through the build.

Thank you for the help, Yes this is my first RC build, and feel a bit stressed, Im still waiting for the it. yes i love the sound, so if it will fit, i will keep it. your info is valuable, and yes i did order a futuba 4ywd.. so im safe :)

about the posts, how can i post new questions? on the same post? and am I answering the answers right, is it the Multiquote or Quote or report button

Thanx

Just post in this topic using the "reply to this topic" button at the top of the thread on the right or in the box at the bottom of the thread under the "repy to this topic" title.

So, if I understand, you have ordered the following:

• Bruiser
  • MFC-02
  • Futaba 4YWD

To mount the MFC & speaker consider ordering something like this to make a mount where the seat would normally go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-STYRENE-POLYSTYRENE-PLASTIC-SHEET-125-X12-X24-1-8-VACUUM-FORMING-PRINT-/281162511008?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item41769772a0

Thanx for help, but i did contact the seller on ebay, and he didnt ship me the bruiser yet so he will sell me only the bruiser without the MFC (i was not comfortable with this from the beginnig) so now i will have the bruiser with a set of lights that he will send me instead, and he offered me 3 types of controller

Sanwa MT4

Futaba 4pks

Sanwa M12

so i dont know what to order, but how will i change gears on this? and isnt the classic controler a more easy and fun one? i dont know..

I know my questions seem silly :) but im really trying to understand everything here.

Thanx

The MFC-02 is an awesome piece of electronics but it is a rather large unit. You have tons of wires plus a shaker unit and auxiluray control box you would have to find a place to mount. You could fit it in into the cab at a slight angle but you want to mount it to the chassis and not inside body that you have to remove all the time to access the battery.

You may be able to fit the speaker on the truck bed at back by either replacing the original speaker with something smaller or may even have to turn your bruiser into a mounty and rid the cap to make room for the speaker and build a crate to hide it. Try to keep the interior as is one of the nice feature for this truck.

Having said all thay...maybe is best leave the MFC out all together as is your first RC build, not saying you can't do it, but get the experience 1st.... cancel the unit or save it for your 1:14 scale rig, your next build.

enjoy your build and take your time...no 24 hrs shifts.

Tamiya designed the Bruiser to be used with the Futaba Attack series radios.

They also designed it to be used with the MFC units.

Buy the Futaba Attack 4YWD or 4VWD radio and build the bruiser with it.

Do not add the Tamiya light units, they are too expensive.

Buy the RC4WD unit I suggested, it's cheap and works if you want lights. I have several, I know.

No MFC unit ? You will need to buy a good ESC (electronic speed controller) and a good steering servo.

After you have built the bruiser and learned to enjoy it you can purchase the MFC unit later if you think you would still like to add it.

Do not get suckered into buying more expensive items you do not need.

Suggestions:

• Futaba 4YWD
  • Tekin FXR ESC
  • Futaba Hitec HS-645MS Servo for steering
  • RC4WD light kit
  • 7.4 volt lipo battery and charger (I use Traxxas)

Build it up stock first, learn it, run it, repair it then add the MFC later when you are experienced.

Good luck.

I was able to adapt an MFC to my Trailfinder 2 chassis. you would have to make a custome box and mount for the speaker and a perch for the MFC unit to sit on.

032412003.jpg

I was able to adapt an MFC to my Trailfinder 2 chassis. you would have to make a custome box and mount for the speaker and a perch for the MFC unit to sit on.

Looks killer Shodog but I think we need to gt him started at the basic kit build :P .

• Like 1

Looks killer Shodog but I think we need to gt him started at the basic kit build :P .

My thoughts exactly. A bruiser is a tough truck to cut your teeth on vehicle building skills. I would have recomended something easier like a Jeep wrangler for a first build.

• Like 1

You can fit all that in the pick-up and then use something like this to cover it all up. Although the shaker unit would definitely do better over the chassis.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yota-Camper-Shell-3-Window-for-Yamiya-Hilux-Trail-Finder-2-WHITE-Vacuum-Styrene-/111022962306

yswv2_b.jpg

For a second I thought it was a 1:1 and thinking sure you can fit a kitchen back tire, never mind the tiny speaker. B)

As for building something less challenging...maybe fadi.join has a Phd in Engineering Science and has the highest score of Mensa Club to date.. :) hence smart enough for found TC and ask questions before diving into the built.

Thanx All, these were very helpful information, but as some of you suggested, lets keep it simpler for my first built, I dont have engineering PHD :) so simpler the better,

Sure i ordered also

Futaba 4PLS 4Ch 2.4GHz S-FHSS Telemetry Radio with R304SB receiver

320A BUSHED ESC

MG995 0.13s / 13kgs METAL GEAR HIGH SERVOS

and he will send me a lighting system for free, so i wont lose the lighting..

The second problem i have is that we dont have Tamiya supplier here, and the paints cant be shipped by air, so some people on youtube recommended me painting it with real car paint..with a coat of gelatin

Whhat do you think :) Doable?

As you can see also from the video on time 0:48 that he fitted the MFC in this bruiser.. by the way this is some nice paint