Combine the two and buy the Lego rock crawler - seen them converted to RC . Quite a capable crawler too

• Like 1

When I was a kid I was obsessed with building lego tower cranes and getting them to work via controls at the base. Think the best I got was about 3ft high with a 2ft long boom. You could rotate it, move the cradle and lower and raise the hook via pulleys :) Had hours of fun with that, moving stuff around and building little containers. Maybe that's where my desire to build an RC bulldozer started :)

• Like 1

When I was a kid I was obsessed with building lego tower cranes and getting them to work via controls at the base. Think the best I got was about 3ft high with a 2ft long boom. You could rotate it, move the cradle and lower and raise the hook via pulleys :) Had hours of fun with that, moving stuff around and building little containers. Maybe that's where my desire to build an RC bulldozer started :)

Are you tempted by the crane kit you get now

Not so much with the 8 wheeler one, maybe if it could be driven and controlled completely via RC. The cost is way out of my budget tho.

This is more like the thing I use to build, looks better than my old attempts but doesn't have the control

http://bit.ly/QunRYy

I'm wondering how robust these Lego RC vehicles could be if you glued them together?

Yes I know what you mean about the cost of it now it was about 14 year ago when I had technic I think it was even quite costly back then

I thought I should share this funny comic with you:

legocomic1twxr.jpg

legocomic29vvk.jpg

legocomic3xjwn.jpg

LEGO space: The comic by KDog

Source: http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Lego_Space/4988400/

Have anybody bought any of the newer technic kits I have been tempted a few times but never have as I think I could save the for rc stuff instead

The Technic 8070 Super car is quite a nice kit. I built it together with my better half and we had lots of fun. It features motorized functions (scissor doors, hood, rear spoiler) controlled by a shifting gearbox, independent suspension, a V8 front engine, FMR drive layout, and front wheel steering. Looks like it has been inspired by the Dodge Viper. Its size is around 1/10 scale and looks nice on the shelf amongst your Tamiya touring cars. What a cool beast!

I'm curious if I could add working front and rear lights.

• Like 2

Most of the motorised Lego Technic kits should be easy enough to convert to RC . In fact some already have IR remote control as a option . Surely its easy enough to convert them to 2.4 Gig as the motors for most functions are no more powerful than a decent servo ?

While I have no clue how to do that, it certainly sounds feasible!

I was never able to afford the big Technic sets, but still had a fair number of wheels, axles, and minifigs lying around... I would build up grids of F1 racers; since the tires were rather skinny, they were almost always 50s - 60s cars.

It got interesting when I gave the cars and drivers names and backgrounds. All my racers had some sort of quasi-engine thing in the front or back of the car, some vents or scoops, and a proper steering wheel.

I still have them in a box somewhere, which figures as I think the last time I did that was a year ago!

The problem I can imagine with RCing them is how durable is the lego plastic and how easy is it to obtain parts? I can't see them running fast for long without wearing out or heat build up causing melting issues. Twisting tolerances can't be that great compared to Tamiya shaft material.

Nic you would be surprised at how well thought out these Lego designs are . From a engineering standpoint they are actually excellent and the bricks themselves are made to very fine tolerances . Having seen some Lego RC Crawlers on youtube they look well up to the job . As for parts you can order individual Lego parts online direct from Lego by part number so that's no problem . As for being durable - their designed for kids . They have to be durable lol

Yonez I'm not suggesting its a real crawler but if you like Lego and RC its a fairly good compromise .

The 4x4 crawler is a great car. Everytime I see one of these on the store shelves, I'm tempted to buy one. But keep in mind the LEGO remote control is based on infrared light transmission, so it may be glitchy and rather low range when used outdoors.

And for the same money, you could get a real R/C car, too.

But Greg where's the challenge in that ? How cool would it be to just have something different from the norm ? :lol:

I have loads of space Lego still in its "draw string playmat" that I had in the 80s - I always kept the space stuff separate from my standard Lego - which I also still have :)

Bought a couple of small modern Technic sets and they still have the same charm I think - unlike modern standard Lego where there is just too many moulded parts for my liking... Although the Junior sets are great for my 4 year old...

Hehe - this could have been me! lol

http://brickset.com/sets/787-1

I had tons of space & town Lego - sold it all on ebay about 10-12 years ago.

Still have loads of Technic & MindStorms though - think I still have a new R2D2 Droid Developer kit from the MindStorms range somewhere.

Also found a few days ago - 8457 Power Puller.

I also had lots of the Model Team range - might still have the 2 big trucks and the helicopter on the trailer.

This video is really old, but still cool if you love both LEGO, Grand Theft Auto and the '80ies:

I liked Robin Hood, too. I remember having Robin's tree house back in the day.
From the recent released kits, I'm mostly interested in Technic Supercars and bikes, for their working suspension and model motors.

Fun LEGO facts:

bka6iecpgmzchws9v.gif

Source: http://everything2.com/title/How+to+buy+LEGO+sets+when+you're+over+twice+the+suggested+age

Should be in the Funnies section

It should actually be in the pedantic spelling and punctuation section... LEGO is already plural - yes I'm talking to you North America!!! - take your s0dding S and put it on the end of 'Math' where it belongs!!!

Jx

• Like 2

Ooooooh, a LEGO thread!

Have anybody bought any of the newer technic kits I have been tempted a few times but never have as I think I could save the for rc stuff instead

I have the Technic Unimog:

P1000821_zpsd18e7673.jpg

I didn't actually buy it myself, Lisa (with the Cager Crawler) got it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago and brought it over from the States...

It was so funny, even though she'd been on a flight for 10 hours, as soon as we got to my house we unboxed it and built it - it took the pair of us 8 hours (so 16 hours in total) to build...

It really is amazing - you build this whole multi-geared transmission with front and rear PTOs, plus a pneumatic pump that drives the rear crane arm - it really is a piece of art!

Jx

ps. As Bromvw says above, you can actually convert this model to RC using the parts from the 4X4 Crawler kit (yes, I had to buy Lisa that one in return) - there are various tutorials on youtube about how to do it, but it is pretty straight forward.

As I say, Lisa has the remote-controlled 4X4 Crawler kit which is not quite as involved to build as the Unimog, but it actually has quite a surprising amount of axel travel - especially for a model built of Lego! The only real downside is the motor is not especially powerful, so it's only really suitable for driving around indoors over piles of books and stuff - anything loose and the wheels just spin up as the diffs are open and tyres pretty hard and smooth... it is a hoot though!

• Like 1

I was a big fan on Lego back in the 80's...

70D4C8B9-36A9-4093-B0C3-3055E4220F2E_zps

Had a brief spell of collecting the early Star Wars bits when the new episodes came out but that all got passed onto my nephews... well apart from the Falcon, that's in bits in a box somewhere in my loft :) I'll have to see if I can download the manual for it and rebuild it.

Oh Mr C - well then you're going to love this!

DSCF1607_zps39d810ce.jpg

Yep, thats a complete kit from, I want to say 1978-79? - including the original box and instructions... My mum moved house a while ago, and there were boxes of our old toys in the attic - including this, and, well see my next post too!

Like sidewaysdave69 says above - I had great fun building this lot up again - it really did take me back - I don't think these boxes had been opened for at least 30 years!

I built them and photographed them with half an intention of getting them all on ebay - but at that moment at least I just couldn't bring myself to sell them... of course now... well, I'd say I'm open to serious offers perhaps ;o)

Jx

• Like 2

"Mos Eisley spaceport... You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy!"

IMG_0388_zps400a7c10.jpg

Yes, I also had these two sets when I was a kid:

928 Galaxy Explorer

DSCF1592_zps3d0ad864.jpg

926 Command Centre

DSCF1599_zpsc7dd4604.jpg

Still boxed, with instructions and complete - except for one part - the clear sloped piece that makes up the back of one of the chairs in the command centre - I have tried everywhere to find a replacement, but they are either curved/rounded or not the right height...

I also have this little fella in the mobile comms vehicle:

452 Mobile Tracking Station

DSCF1604_zps17c470ab.jpg

I would be sad to see them go, as I know my niece and nephew will one day appreciate these... that said, they have a tonne of current Lego as it is, so it would be a shame to get this lot mixed up in that!

Make me an offer if you're serious - however, I know what these go for, so don't expect a bargain... (unless someone wants to swap me the lot for a NIB 2010 Sand Scorcher, ahem).

Jx

• Like 3

When I was a kid my friends and I we loved Lego. I did not have much sets myself, but enough to let my imagination run wild, haha.

Here's the kit my grandmother (RIP) brought me from Chicago for Christmas of good old 1983 :)

$T2eC16J,%21%29wFIZEnRurZBSbT7T82qg~~60_

I remember staring for hours at the other sets in the catalogs. I was particularly excited about this one, which I never got, haha.

brickpicker_set_375-2_2.jpg

• Like 1

I remember staring for hours at the other sets in the catalogs. I was particularly excited about this one, which I never got, haha.

brickpicker_set_375-2_2.jpg

I got this for my 9th birthday, I know this for a fact because I recently pulled it out of storage to build with my 7 year old and I found my birthday cards still stashed in the box under the trays!

After 31 years, the only bit missing was one of the red back doors! Not too bad.

My daughter loved building it, and is still playing with it now a year later. Probably lost a few more pieces now though. ;)

C..

• Like 1