Was at the mall last night getting some eyeglasses made so while I was waiting I wandered into the lego store. I had the new lego Mini Cooper in my hand ready to buy but thankfully the realization that I just spent $300+ on a set of glasses occurred to me and I put it back on the shelf. Nevertheless a cool looking looking kit

Nice that the kids can do other stuff than Ipads and videogames ☺

20170109_160403.jpg

• Like 3

Me and the wife are both mid to late 30's and still bit Lego

We now have a son who will be 2 in April, so now we have an excuse to buy it other than the fact is for us

As my friends says, "You don't stop playing when you grow up, you grow up when you stop playing"

Me and the wife are both mid to late 30's and still buy Lego

We have a son who will be 2 in April, so now we have an excuse to buy it other than the fact is for us

As my friends says, "You don't stop playing when you grow up, you grow up when you stop playing"

• Like 5

So true im 36 and since this resurgence in lego and its more popular than ever.  They keep bringing out more to especially on the technic side i need to build 3 sets now though so need to stop buying and find space to put them!

My wife could not care for it at all lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lee1980 said:

So true im 36 and since this resurgence in lego and its more popular than ever.  They keep bringing out more to especially on the technic side i need to build 3 sets now though so need to stop buying and find space to put them!

My wife could not care for it at all lol.

I'm a bit older than you and still enjoy building things out of Lego.

I've never seen an upper age limit on any Lego products :D 

I have always loved LEGO, there is no age limit. And anyway, most men are just kids in a grown-ups body! I know that applies to me! I actively go out and look for a LEGO kit to build now, to the point that my son (who is 15) now says that I have enough and don't need anymore! The cheek! LOL!!

The new U-wing Lego kit from Rogue One is seriously tempting.....

My wife likes to build Lego, and have build several things. For the moment she builds various kits from the architecture series. I am not into Lego, but as a RC nut I definetely understand the fascination of building these Lego kits.

lol I dont care that some mock and say like they are toys well they are, shown some family and friends the size of manuals for bigger sets and how much goes in to each one and some are like wow couldn't build that!

Agree there are so many starwars out to i want but need to think of space!!!

• Like 1

See, there's the problem! When some people think of space, they think of Star Wars! :D

As for me, I had the pleasure of building the Audi R18 and Corvette Z06 from the Lego Speed Champions line:

products.jpg?l.r2=-1584958901

Nothing too big, but I do like minifigure scale and they were thoughtfully designed. Now, if only I can get my hands on the 917K in that series...

• Like 1

I have all of those, love them! I really want the Porsche garage set with the 917 in it, but £70 seems a bit steep to me, but I know I'll end up buying it at some point. Lego are releasing a few new ones this year, Ford GT40, Ford GT and a Bugatti Veyron amongst a few others.

2 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

This is the full set of what is currently available

hqdefault.jpg

Holy chro-moly, I picked the wrong product line to get into - going to want all of those :P Thought the same thing when I saw the GT-40 set! I did not pay too much attention with the Ferrari and earlier Porsche releases, but to see a wide array of cars is showing some dedication to the concept. I wonder if the engineers and executives that grew up playing with Lego now all have jobs with the auto manufacturers...

That Porsche 917 is particularly unusual to see - and quite neat:

a7b98574-5c73-4a9a-b1a3-475e6f29f859.jpg

The modern Le Mans racers in the series are not that scale (they are usually proportionally wider and lower), but the details are still nicely-captured and really, who cares? To see them in Lego at all is cool enough.

The UCS Tie interceptor arrived yesterday. Ordered it on 3rd Janurary so just 10 days door to door, free post and no duty to pay :)

Screenshot_20170103-202230.png

Those racers are awesome to with the truck to, Thats the thing about internet to lets you know to much of what can get! and then one click to order lol.

If I had to go to a shop I would not have half the lego or RC stuff I now have.

I managed to find a good deal on the Technic Mercedes Actros lorry. Since its been retired, the prices on eBay have shot-up! Before Christmas you could pick one up for around £130, now some are heading towards £200! I found one with a damaged box for £125 on a buy it now, hopefully will be here by the end of the week. No idea where it will go when its built, but really looking forward to getting it!

I am also tempted by the Speed Champions Porsche LeMans set, I've seen it on Ebay for around £58 instead of the £70 retail, so I may actually cave in and buy that too!

The Mercedes arrived the other day, the box is a bit damaged in one corner but looks to be all there, I've not started building it yet! I also managed to find the Speed Champions Porsche LeMans set on Ebay for £50.99 from the Argos store, so did a click and collect on it so no postage charge! That's built but I need to fit a better home for it, I may try and make a LeMans diorama or a race track one with the other Speed Champion ones I have.

I'm also waiting on a 'fake' Mini Cooper from Ali Express. Its the same as the Lego creator one, but was £30 posted from China instead of the £75 in the Lego shop. I shall build it and post my findings and opinions on here before I buy anymore, just in case its a pile of rubbish!   

Well please keep in mind that customs are command to confiscate bootlegs at your cost.

I think my Mini was delivered today, I'm at work at the moment but the tracking info says it was signed for this morning. Seems to have cleared customs ok too (phew!) so something to look forward too!

'YILE' Mini Cooper is now built, I honestly cannot fault it! Plastic is exactly the same as the Lego ones, holds together really well, does make me think its all a way of Lego getting their products into other territories in a crafty way....

9 minutes ago, lupogtiboy said:

does make me think its all a way of Lego getting their products into other territories in a crafty way....

Yeah, that makes sense - increase their packaging costs, sell their products at less than half price and undermine their hard-earned brand at the same time, it's a win-win-win. :unsure:

The reason why those counterfeits from Lepin are cheaper than genuine LEGO sets:

- they copy existing parts
- they don't engineer new parts
- they steal designs and ideas, both from official sets as well as those from fans found on LEGO Ideas.
- thus they don't pay designers to create new sets
- they underpay their employees
- they don't have contracts with licensing partners
- they don't care about environmental and health issues in their factories
- they don't undergo any quality control. I've seen reviewers obviously wittingly neglect talking about bad parts. Only few have the guts to tell their readers the truth (e.g. bad mechanical parts, bad minfigures, unwanted friction or play in mechanisms, etc.)
- since they are China based, there's little communication and compensation between disappointed customers and the manufacturer, so no warranty, etc.

Buying counterfeits does not only hurt the LEGO brand, but also the customers themselves. If LEGO can't produce any new designs, there won't be anything to produce counterfeits from (obviously...). Bad brand protection will also make LEGO's licensing partners hesitate creating new contracts and proceeding with existing ones.

There's also trouble when buying used LEGO sets, because it will be hard to see before buying if you'll receive a set containing only 100% genuine or knockoff parts.

This is a statement on how sites like brickpicker and eurobricks handle discussions about bootleg brands:

https://community.brickpicker.com/topic/17158-fake-counterfeit-knockoff-illegal-garbage-crap-set-minifigure-thread-please-read-before-posting/

• Like 4