DaveB

To build or not to build, that is the question..

OK, so I have a slight dilemma - I have a NIB vintage Hotshot and tonight may be the night that I take a knife to the blister pack. Should I build her or leave her new in box..?

Help!

IMG_20131220_111238.jpg

• Like 1

choices choices.....

Get a re-release and build that while you decide to build or not to build....

:D:D

• Like 1

My thoughts were to build it as a shelfer i.e. not run it..

But I love the boxed blister parts/presentation so much, not sure I can bring myself to cut into it :-O

I never saw the point of having kits NIB but having said that I think if I was in your situation right now I'd be struggling to decide too. Sorry that's not much help is it?

How about tossing a coin and letting fate decide?

• Like 1

Well, here's my 2 cents...

It's a kit which Mr Tamiya made with the intention that it would be built. That said, it's doubtful anyone ever foresaw that decades later these now vintage kits would be seen as collectable in their own right.

I can fully understand your temptation to build it but personally I would seriously consider moving it on to someone who collects NIB's and use the money to buy the re-re version and build that. Most likely you will have money left over for your next project too.

I may be wrong but somehow I can't see the re-re kits being as sought after in years to come as the original releases.

• Like 2

If its for shelf duty then once built there won't be an awful lot to distinguish this original from a re-re item (not from 6 feet or more away).

The beauty of what you have currently is the blister packaging.

keep it in the dark, or display the open box ;)

• Like 2

I am on the fence here. My head says keep it in the blister packages but my heart says build it and run it.

OSR

For any knowledgable Tamiya fan the differences between an original and a vintage Hotshot are quickly obviouse - that's my dilemma, I want to display a Hotshot but not a re-re, but then NIB vintage are getting very far and few between. If it stays in the box then no one gets to see it as I don't have space to display the box.

In terms of value, I paid just under £300 for this which is only £100 more than a re-re and currently about £200 less then anything else I've sen on ebay so I'm not overly concerned about the 'investment' side of things - if I'd paid around £450-£500 I'd be a lot more inclined to keep it NIB, but as it stands, the money side of things isn't a huge concern.

I guess it's the rare factor, but then, what's the point if it's hidden away on top of a wardrobe..

..arggghhh, I can't decide :/

I too agree on the re-release; I am usually one to build a vintage kit, but in this case, as mentioned, the case of beauty is in the parts presentation.

If you want, you could even display the original Hotshot box, open or closed, and a completed re-release Hotshot alongside. I get the feeling that would make for a lovely display - if the re-release ever settles on the shelf, that is ;)

But if you do build it: be sure to enjoy every bit of the experience, and tell us how it all goes!

My perspective, though, is that at least one person out there has a flawless NIB example, so let him/her be the custodian of a historical find while you enjoy your example... Not the best attitude, I suppose, but it makes the decision to make runners easier.

If you are in this game to make money you are better off investing it elsewhere. Hobbies are fun, just built it, its a toy, if you enjoy looking at boxes instead of building, and playing then thats also fair enough, although you can build the car and look at the box as well

• Like 1

Can you really bring yourself to slice open those lovely virgin blister packs that have survived intact for so long? :wacko:

Oh decision decisions! ;)

I know stevieg32, I'm not sure I can..

IMG_20131220_194816.jpg

Although I could start on this little puppy in the meantime while I'm thinking over it :)

IMG_20140116_094810.jpg

I think you've just answered your own question, get that Avante built!

When you ready to build it, you will. Since you are still wondering, which to me you are not ready. Put it back in storage, take it out once in a while and one day when the time is right it will be so natural and no self doubt later.

Happiness is here and now.

Budda

• Like 1

Lovely blister kit there, I say build the Avante and maybe buy & build a re-re Hotshot.

I've never been a huge NIB fan, but I'd be tempted to keep that one NIB just to stare at those blister packs every now and again.

Build it!

If you are looking to make money down the road (resell it) then by all means, put it back up in your loft.

If you don't plan on selling it, build it and shelf it! If you do decide to sell it down the road, I'm sure a collector will pay a similar price for both a Mint Shelf Queen with its box and an inbuilt model. I know that's how I would feel.

It's an MK2, so I would build it. On the other hand, if you build a re-re Hotshot, it will look same in the cabinet, but you spent less money for the build. But! If you build this original, you can point at it in the cabinet and proudly say... Hey, that is a new built original! So, If I were you, I would build it. :-)

Just built it you big girls blouse! Take pics of it packaged, the build and the finished model. Keep and treasure the photos and then run it until the pinion has worn smooth!

• Like 2

Just built it you big girls blouse! Take pics of it packaged, the build and the finished model. Keep and treasure the photos and then run it until the pinion has worn smooth!

Ha ha, if ever there was a compelling reason to convince someone to build a NIB Vintage kit, being called a 'Big girls blouse' has to be it! :lol:

• Like 3

You're right, I am being a bit of a girls blouse, but now I've seen the picture of my NIB Avante I'm being tempted by that..

:D

I think the Avante is the better build experience anyway, although that Hotshot would look better on the shelf! Sorry, I'm still not helping am I?