Blissard

Bel Ray Bullet Build

1 hour ago, Blissard said:

13734989_1110732482326433_3335176395427660517_o.jpg

Don't think I've seen this exact photo before. Thanks for sharing! Seeing it, I again wonder why Tamiya hasn't offered any hop-ups and optional scale details for the re-re SRB's (apart from the diff). I mean, Kyosho had (most gone from the 2020 catalog, but maybe still available?), quite a few nice hop-ups and scale details for the re-re Scorpion, and I would think SRB fans would want that more than Scorpion fans do, hard plastic bodies and more scope for improvements considered.) 

Think about it; scale bumpers, nerf bars, window nets, working lights, Centerline wheels, more tire types etc.!  Would seem very popular and financially viable to me. Tamiya of course knows better what's right to do for the company and the customers than I do, but still......

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Don't think I've seen this exact photo before. Thanks for sharing! Seeing it, I again wonder why Tamiya hasn't offered any hop-ups and optional scale details for the re-re SRB's (apart from the diff). I mean, Kyosho had (most gone from the 2020 catalog, but maybe still available?), quite a few nice hop-ups and scale details for the re-re Scorpion, and I would think SRB fans would want that more than Scorpion fans do, hard plastic bodies and more scope for improvements considered.) 

Think about it; scale bumpers, nerf bars, window nets, working lights, Centerline wheels, more tire types etc.!  Would seem very popular and financially viable to me. Tamiya of course knows better what's right to do for the company and the customers than I do, but still......

I agree, that would be awesome. Additional graphics would be great also.

I have another photo, probably from the same race;

13692997_1110733055659709_1187802103050720222_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never seen an actual Tamiya Rough Rider kit with this early image. I’ve asked a few collectors that I know and they haven’t seen one too. 

1 hour ago, Nugget said:

I’ve never seen an actual Tamiya Rough Rider kit with this early image. I’ve asked a few collectors that I know and they haven’t seen one too. 

They are rare, but the Rough Rider was initially sold with this boxart, and when my cousin bought his Rough Rider in 1980, he got the "new" boxart, so by then, it was obviously already gone. I don't know for how long or in which volume the initial version was made,  but there are still some NIBs out there:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=12053&id=31

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=71712&id=1173

By the way, the "Now in Stock" posters always came with one poster in each carton of 4-5-6 kits (depending on kit size) to the dealers. I don't know if they still do as I stopped working in the business in 2000, but I wouldn't be surprised if these posters are still included. The distributors also got the same posters loose for the distribution to dealers.

• Like 2

As promised, here are photos of the RC Channel SRB rear suspension arms. If the full potential is exploited, it results in a 28mm narrower track!

I have purchased an aluminium beam with 18mm diameter (seen in last photo), which is a good fit in the holes on the arms. I don't have a lathe, so I will have a friend make 9mm wide "washers" with an 11mm hole drilled so I can fit 1150 flanged ball bearings on the inside and outside. I have used model airplane wheel stoppers to hold the inner bearing in place on the original arms for 30+ years and I will use that with the RC Channel arms too, so there isn't really any need to fix the 18mm "washers" in place. I will stil crossdrill and tap 3mm holes and use the holes already in the RC Channel arms to fix the washers further. The width of the washers can of course be chosen to create a rear track anywhere between 28mm less and in principal indefinetely more than original.

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG

• Thanks 1

Blissard, I have no intentions of highjacking your thread, but I hope as long as I stay on topic, a little more might be OK?

Below pics of the Lightning Rapid Bel Ray Bullet scale front bumpers (early narrow and late wide).

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While making photos of the RC Channel arms and Lightningrapid bumper, I thought I might as well make a couple of photos of the modified Super Champ servo saver I use on all my SRB's.

As anyone with even the slightest experience with the SRB knowl the original servo saver is really bad. I have looked for improvements countless times while wanting to keep the oiriginal geometry and centered bellcrank. This means that the modified steering that for instance CRP offered, was only used in my competition SRB in the early eighties, but never in my "scale" runners. For many years, I had the Super Champ servo saver installed and while it was OK, friction was still too high for my liking, even after fitting ball bearings. Som months ago, I purchased the optional aluminium servo saver offered by Kyosho for the Scorpion. One for my Scorpion and one to experiment with in an SRB. While being really good, it's for some strange reason not prepared for ball bearings and after modifying it, I was still unsatisfied with the result. Recently I discovered that Scorched Parts offers a 3D printed bellcrank specifically for the SRB. I reckon that''s a very good solution, but meanwhile I had found a solution on my own that works great.

I drilled out the center of the Super Champ servo saver to 9.9mm for a really tight fit, fitted an aluminium tube inside with 10mm diameter and 7mm hole to "lock" the two parts of the servo saver together, then fitted a 10x6mm flanged ball bearing at the top and at the bottom. Combined with the Super Champ front body mount and a 6mm model airplane wheel stopper on each side of the bellcrank, I now have virtually slop free low friction steering in my SRB's at very low cost. Needless to say, as the servo saver function is gone, a direct mounted servo saver is required.

IMG_1844.JPG

• Thanks 1

@Mokei Kagaku Thank you for the details, your method of narrowing the track is great. I am trying to get a similar washer made for my narrowed Bruiser front axle. Since I shaved it it no longer has any bearings. Mine won't be as detailed as yours but it should work since it won't be running much. 

Those front bumpers look great, they seem to be able to accommodate custom made noses as well.

Also that's a great idea for servo saver. The one I have is really bad, it always locks one of the wheels when it's at maximum steering. Is the white plastic part one piece ? I haven't thought of using Super Champ servo saver before, I will try building something like that for my SJ30 build.

26 minutes ago, Blissard said:

Also that's a idea for servo saver. The one I have is really bad, it always locks one of the wheels when it's at maximum steering. Is the white plastic part one piece ? I haven't thought of using Super Champ servo saver before, I will try building something like that for my SJ30 build.

Yes, the original servo saver is terrible and it even was for its time when new. As you surely know, it's a carry-over from the early F1 cars. In the F1 cars, with  little debris collecting, short arm from the servo, less mass to move and less mass resting on the front, it works well enough, so I reckon Tamiya thought it would be OK in the SRB too. 

The bellcrank is a two part design in nylon, but by using a 10mm tube inside the 9.9mm hole I drilled, it's a very tight fit. Combined with a wheel stopper on each side, there is no relative movement between the two parts. I also tried to glue them with cyano glue. I degreased first and used fresh cyano and activator, but the resulting bond was still too weak. However, with the tube inside and wheel stoppers, it's really not a problem. Also, with 1060 flanged ball bearings in the 9.9mm hole, the bearings have a slop free fit too. I'm very bad at explaining, so if you want, I can post photos of the unassembled parts?

Also, if interested, I can post photos of my RC and battery installation. I have experimented a lot as I wanted it to take as little space as possible while still allowing for a (relatively) quick battery change. I also wanted to reduce mass, add ridigity and allow for a quick change and cleaning of the RC installation and battery clamps So, after messing about a lot and having mediocre solutions installed for many years, I think I have finally found a solution I will keep for a long time. It can surely still be improved, but I'm finally pretty satisfied.

21 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Yes, the original servo saver is terrible and it even was for its time when new. As you surely know, it's a carry-over from the early F1 cars. In the F1 cars, with  little debris collecting, short arm from the servo, less mass to move and less mass resting on the front, it works well enough, so I reckon Tamiya thought it would be OK in the SRB too. 

The bellcrank is a two part design in nylon, but by using a 10mm tube inside the 9.9mm hole I drilled, it's a very tight fit. Combined with a wheel stopper on each side, there is no relative movement between the two parts. I also tried to glue them with cyano glue. I degreased first and used fresh cyano and activator, but the resulting bond was still too weak. However, with the tube inside and wheel stoppers, it's really not a problem. Also, with 1060 flanged ball bearings in the 9.9mm hole, the bearings have a slop free fit too. I'm very bad at explaining, so if you want, I can post photos of the unassembled parts?

Also, if interested, I can post photos of my RC and battery installation. I have experimented a lot as I wanted it to take as little space as possible while still allowing for a (relatively) quick battery change. I also wanted to reduce mass, add ridigity and allow for a quick change and cleaning of the RC installation and battery clamps So, after messing about a lot and having mediocre solutions installed for many years, I think I have finally found a solution I will keep for a long time. It can surely still be improved, but I'm finally pretty satisfied.

I think I've seen similar servo saver on my original Clodbuster, I just remembered it had a spring in it and moved vertical under pressure. Don't disassemble your setup for me for a photo.

A quick photo of the electronics installation would be great. I was thinking about using existing holes on the floor plate to mount servo and battery since I won't use any part of the radio box.

9 hours ago, ACCEL said:

This ****** is Kick A$$.

Great form and function.

Thank you very much! Here is an update for you;

- Started building partial roll cage and turned the original roll cage into front bumper.

IMG_6309.thumb.jpg.cd468706bde668a3f6025f53b7a31009.jpg

IMG_6310.thumb.jpg.0ee276f8e6371920881d7f13278792aa.jpg

IMG_6311.thumb.jpg.12cc9d29cb22d5ea0d6ea0bb9bfd45de.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

i'm getting a kick out of the meaning of these*********** when in fact it was not a swear word at all, it has happened to me several times and find it funny when it happens.

so *********** these tell our minds to think it's something bad when possibly it's not:lol:

Good form on the bumper.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ACCEL said:

i'm getting a kick out of the meaning of these*********** when in fact it was not a swear word at all, it has happened to me several times and find it funny when it happens.

so *********** these tell our minds to think it's something bad when possibly it's not:lol:

Good form on the bumper.

Thanks! I prefer a real comment full of ***** than hundreds of likes :)

• Haha 1

Those gray pieces paint? color of the material or what?

for some reason i like it alot.

the fuel door is precious.

What an awesome build, the rough rider should have come with the rounded sides as standard. I was really disappointed with mine when I got it new back in the early 80's. The box art showed a lovely rounded set of sides but the actual rough rider shell is far too boxy and never looked right. I loved my Sand Scorcher and still have it but I sold the rough rider many years ago. Yours looks great.

45 minutes ago, ACCEL said:

Those gray pieces paint? color of the material or what?

for some reason i like it alot.

the fuel door is precious.

Thank you! That's the thinnest ABS sheet I have, it just came gray. I bought it in 2009 and didn't pay attention to material or color. 

33 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

What an awesome build, the rough rider should have come with the rounded sides as standard. I was really disappointed with mine when I got it new back in the early 80's. The box art showed a lovely rounded set of sides but the actual rough rider shell is far too boxy and never looked right. I loved my Sand Scorcher and still have it but I sold the rough rider many years ago. Yours looks great.

Thank you very much! I agree with you, Tamiya probably had to make boxy sides to fit RC components but I still think that they could do better, like Super Champ.

• Like 2

Finished bodywork today; sanded, washed and ready to prime.

Cage;

IMG_6735.thumb.JPG.342a8bc77273f6d6e7fa18077b9244bd.JPG

Half Sand Scorcher steering wheel that I completed with a round strip.

IMG_6736.thumb.JPG.8952342e351ebd653defe2b452ac0d26.JPG

• Like 1

Before (summer 2011);

2011.png.54232b63231a67e69fd19836680c4bd5.png

After (Jan 2021)

IMG_6742111.thumb.JPG.08d65578f610fc436ecf4092d17a9b86.JPG

IMG_674322222.thumb.JPG.4994c790a1db1bb87f5d8a0ce8dffeb9.JPG

IMG_6744.thumb.JPG.a87cd1b1d36b35fa31acfd27416c970c.JPG

Received my custom decals made by MCI Racing along with Sand Rover decals for some of the sponsors.

dddd.thumb.JPG.210281150eac69669b9a4049ad43434d.JPG

• Like 9

1 hour ago, zappto said:

Wow. excellent work on the body, like it very much, beautiful shape!

Thank you very much sir!