Percymon

DF-03 Rebuild

I know the chassis design is 7+ years old now, but since there is next to nil build threads for this chassis I thought I might as well document my rebuild.

A rather optimistic bid on evil bay brought me this horror ;)

C1D1B799-0120-47EC-980B-AB2C8E2034FD_zps

Not exactly a looker, and yes it's the avante family runt, but for £25 including full electrics it's not all bad :)

Plan was/is NOT to spend a lottery win on a rebuild. A basic clean up and a few hop ups here n there to make it a useable runner - I've already got too many nice looking runners that never go out to play !

So first things first, the shell. It was painted PS-16 inside (badly) and some awful purple on the outside (badly) - great start then :rolleyes:

The plan was to strip the outside and repaint with a matt finish - purely for a change from the glossy lexan look. My preferred polycarbonate paint stripper is Autosmart Tardis, a 1:1 car valeting product designed to remove tar. It's surprisingly similar to Tamiya's own polycarbonate cleaner in smell and performance. Previous experience says Tardis will remove some polycarbonate paints almost on contact but others are a real challenge.

After ten minutes rubbing away with a tardis soaked cloth I was getting....

... Nowhere :(

67D2FC38-95C7-4351-ABBB-66F6898971D5_zps

Not one to give up easily the cloth was soaked in tardis, draped over the body and left overnight.

Following morning presented this..

CD7A43C6-B4E9-4683-82B1-F627F58AEF2A_zps

Hmmm, not exactly what I'd hoped for, but at least the paint was softened and starting to look removable. An hour of rubbing away with tardis on a cloth , and some gentle persuasion in the fold lines , followed by a warm soapy water wash got me to this..

945A17A9-3948-4A73-8D8C-44E07D4AB45D_zps

I can only assume that the outside had been painted with yellow auto filler primer spray, followed by auto spray paint - hence the difficulty.

Worth the effort ? Probably not but the £20 cost of a new body set can be used elsewhere in the rebuild :)

More to come - let's hope it gets better :lol:

• Like 3

if you were gunna repaint matte anyway... Could just hit it with a sandblaster :)

• Like 1

if you were gunna repaint matte anyway... Could just hit it with a sandblaster :)

It might have been easier !

I'll remember for next time - I'm sure this won;t be the last 'less than pristine' example I ever buy ;)

If you're going for a new body, get the Dark Impact shell - it looks much better... that Avante is a bit of a minger...

• Like 2

Cool thread. I have a DF03 project sitting on one of my many back burners right now, so it'll be interesting to see how yours comes on, and to glean a few tips and pointers along the way.

I don't believe in throwing stuff away so will persevere with this shell

Base chrome paint on to ensure top coat is consistent..

029FBAC0-DF26-486C-B334-B7A5B788E19C_zps

looks better already :D

• Like 2

Some progress, although I forgot to take any photos of disassembly until I'd almost stripped it - DOH.

So theses will have to do..

Wishbones not too bad
C091929E-CE82-4836-AFA8-BF44FCFEFD63_zps

C hubs and uprights pretty ok , all bearings to be replaced so no real issues..
3412B80D-426C-4E10-A219-62EBACB98520_zps

At the rear rather muddy!
10F4D9DD-BD04-4371-88DC-3588519C804E_zps

Rear gear case full of grey grease on the inside, and mud on the outside..
A8EDEC54-362D-4968-B11B-4BAC872B768C_zps

Other parts..

6F84B657-D75C-4947-9BF1-78B5AF5F591C_zps

So nothing that a good clean won't sort out there.

The spur cover might take a bit more effort - someone had access to plenty of copper slip grease for free I reckon...
6F27F66D-7848-417A-BE0F-64B5F0534F14_zps

And the front diff cups are for the bin since previous owners didn't use the urethane bushes in the drive cups :(

E93F384F-FD6B-499B-9571-C2C8221B6D22_zps

On a slightly more positive note the wheels were very receptive to Rit dye, so the awful pastel orange/beige colour has been banished..

Before..
B0AD771C-07E9-49D3-BA11-F8CAA8D82E87_zps

After...
8F396BA1-A5BE-4D46-AD5F-A60D264C45A6_zps

• Like 2

It is great to see you persevering with the Avante Mk.II pieces - your handiwork should do it a lot of good!

It is great to see you persevering with the Avante Mk.II pieces - your handiwork should do it a lot of good!

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound !

It cost pennies, it might takes pounds to sort it :lol:

• Like 1

How much copper slip :o:o:o

Your JPL 7000 is gonna get a hammering :D Great job!

Sometimes physics just can't cope - I went straight for the chemistry option, a 20 minute soak in white spirit saw all that grease n grime removed. Followed up with a soapy water wash and blow dry :)

Now waiting on spares coming from banzai so rebuild is pretty much stagnant for the next two weeks.

Got a little more done on the shell - added chrome then translucent orange to the cockpit area. Marking decals arrived, sadly size wise they are more suited to a 1/8th truck/ truggy body than this fiddly little avante shell - the scalpel will be working overtime. :rolleyes:

DAEE1B2D-C077-4244-8A7E-659C50F619CA_zps

Nice work there.

I have a NIB Keen Hawk with all of the rare upgrades like slipper and steel lay shaft gear.

Bought the kit new for a steel from rc mart. Been meaning to build it up . Maybe one day. Good to see a build thread.

Well done. :)

Thanks

I have had a slipper sat in the spares now for a few years (bought to attempt to install in a SRB but never quite got round to it !). I've bought the turnbuckle set, motor heat sinks posts, alloy servo turnbuckle as well as new d sprues, and towers. Just to smarten things up a little. Bearings , shims and diff out drives are just necessities after the strip down - one 10mm diff shim was reduced to a thin c shaped piece of wire :(

Thank goodness for banzai prices, otherwise this would have been cobbled back together and back on eBay in the hope of recovering my initial £24 outlay .

• Like 1

you got it for a good price. After going through your rebuild, it reminds me of taking a stray off the street and after a thorough cleaning, trimming, and feeding, a smart looking and lovable dog appears. it will be an amazing transformation after some TLC. look forward seeing the results.

• Like 1

Not updated this for three weeks as it's been limited progress waiting for parts. Every time a delivery arrived I'd get excited that I could get on with sizeable parts of the rebuild only to find another part was in a different order not delivered. I still have one outstanding delivery, for d parts , diff balls and shims.

I have managed to add the ball connectors to new damper towers, build up the slipper clutch, build the hop up hard turnbuckles, build the motor heat sink. The rest is pretty much a stack of screw and a stack of plastic .

Hopefully this weekend I can really get going ;)

• Like 1

Well final parts order came in today so managed to get some of it bolted back together..

Rear ball diff

603D5563-9311-4A14-9032-8F7F5F9CD283_zps

Counter gear ..

087AA384-8F5E-40A7-8E38-8A4B63C34C5C_zps

Prop shaft drive/coupling

0A026D0D-E3A3-4ACD-B3C4-C94517361007_zps

Rear gear set in..

EFFC4593-62FE-46F6-926C-3B1D60CEA139_zps

Motor plate (swapped some tamiya machine screws got hex head stainless ones )

53B974EC-CDE0-44F1-92D5-5A9B5631ADDD_zps

Hop up slipper and motor heat sink bars installed

E8202FF9-FC8B-4F1D-ADA5-F9325FB614B2_zps

• Like 1

Sport tuned motor installed (for now) along with hard turnbuckle hop up , new shock tower and some alloy blue ball connectors for s but more bling...

4B8CB395-7A50-49E9-9B4C-F596E059D42A_zps

• Like 1

You are brave using the 2-piece outdrives in the rear. You might consider swapping them to the front since you typically run the front diff tighter (safer) than the rear. Just a thought.

You are brave using the 2-piece outdrives in the rear. You might consider swapping them to the front since you typically run the front diff tighter (safer) than the rear. Just a thought.

I did think about it when rebuilding, but just stuck to the manual - if I ever install a faster motor it'd probably be wise to swap them around as you say.

looking great mate !!! cant believe the state on the inside of the spur cover and gear plate !!!' shell came out good , definately worth saving !! following with interest

Cheers Shaun - yes it was a mess, the gears were never going to run dry !

• Like 1

Moving on..

Steering assembly installed..

ACE41F70-6AAD-4055-9760-D74AC3096C5D_zps

Test fit servo turnbuckle for correct length..

21C73CDD-F106-4558-BDCB-25881A1AE01E_zps

At this point I'd already installed the front wishbones, upper turnbuckle links, axles n shocks (needed something to do whilst waiting for parts earlier in the build process), so it was just a case of bolting on the front end with the four screws and connecting the turnbuckles. Hence no pics :(

Wheels body and wing fitted..

B60C7429-2C71-42B6-A9B6-118C996429B0_zps

Still need to add RX and ESC, then it'll be ready to roll again ;)

• Like 1