Sign in to follow this  
Renegade88(2)

Homemade discharger?

Use a 12V bulb for example from a car, but don't let it discharge too much, when the lamb just glims disconnect it. You could also just connect a motor and let it run till it slows down....

You can also buy a Deans discharger cutoff.

It is a unit you connect between your pack and a discharge resistor/bulb. It will shut off discharge when reached a prefix voltage, so you cna leave it and forget it without damage your batteries.

Roby

you can buy a eagle racing discharger from www.modelsport.co.uk for £9.99.

its nothing special, but it does the job very well.

hope this helps

You can wire up your own discharger using 12V car taillamp bulbs, get the 'brake' ones so you have dual filaments 5W/21W. Wire the 2 filaments in parallel and they'll provide approx 1A draw each; hook up as many bulbs as you need.

As a guide approx 8 bulbs does the same drain as running a 540 motor in your car. A full 1700 pack drains in approx 8-10 mins.

Some guys use up to 20 bulbs to simulate 'modified' motor usage.

And if you wanna do something stupid, try hooking up that bank of 20 bulbs to a 12V battery!! You'll blind yourself with 500W+, promise!! [xx(][xx(][xx(]

I know that Irvine do a discharger for £6.95.I have just ordered one from my local hobby shop.It has the tamiya connector on it already so no messing about with it.Basically it's a heat sink with an LED on it and it dose'nt overdischarge either.

My 2 euros

Daz

Hello,

I do not know if you read french, but here is a very simple solution, based on lN40001 leds (1 per cell) + one of the above mentioned 12v bulb.

This is a slow discharger.

see discharger link

If only using a single bulb, they will still get pretty hot as-is... better to buy a 12V Car Trouble-Light with 21W bulb from the $2 Shop and stick a Tamiya plug on that. Simpler & safer.

The 6 doides used are 1n4004 which are general purpose rectifier diodes -1 amp items (the last diget indicating that in has a reverse threshold of 750v),6 of these diodes in series with a resistor(smallest size 4.6ohm 5watts)across the battery pack will discharge it untill the battery voltage drops to 3.6volts

Higher amp diodes could be used for faster discharge rates.

Because of the 0.6 voltdrop accross each diode for current to flow(6 x 0.6 = 3.6),once the battery volts drop to 3.6volts no current will flow[?]

1n4007 can also be used as these are also 1amp.