Sumimasen

Egress 2013 Pinion Gear Advice Needed (also Driveshafts!)

Hi all.

I have finished building my Egress ready to race in this summers vintage class at my local club, but would like a bit of advice on pinions as I'm a bit stuck.

I will be running a 10.5T Speed Passion Brushless setup, and I'm pretty sure that the stock pinion is too large. What size pinion would you guys recommend?

Also does anyone have any idea what pitch the standard Egress gearing is? I would ideally like to replace the pinion with a steel one, but have no idea where to get one!

Finally I was wondering if anyone had any idea if the Egress/Avante re-re assembly driveshafts are the same as any existing hop-up shafts for other cars? I was just wondering what the cheapest and easiest way to get replacements would be if I ever had a failure?. The design is the same as many of the existing CVDs, so I guess it would be down to the length of the axle and the main shaft.

Thanks in advance!

Good thread topic!

I bought an Egress 2013 but can't bring myself to build it! I do have a Vajra/Egress built that may finally see "some" dirt.

Isn't a 10.5T a bit too fruity for an Egress? I was planning on sticking a 17.5T in mine (There is no vintage series where I am so I'll be the "gentleman" driver at the back)

My Egress is built from a Vajra which has the CVDs shafts so maybe just buy a set of them - or if your flush see if the Vajra kits are still being flogged cheap - best source of spares for a runner. It doesn't have the splitter though.

What wheels are you using? I was thinking to use DF03 rims.

The kit supplied pinion is 22T and from thos that have reported it's use it seems to be too high for anything bar a stock motor. How low can you go before you run out of adjustment ?, not sure but something like a 19T is probably near where your motor will be happier. Of course depends on track conditions, long straights with few turns allows time for the motor to spin up a larger pinion, to get higher top speed but at the expense of acceleration. Use too small a pinion in that situation and you'll max out too soon and just end up at max revs for long periods.

I'm not sure what mheald used in his build - i know he had a 9.5T motor. I think Haider moved to a 19T on his Tamiya RZ motor.

Thanks for the replies guys.

A 10.5T brushless is about the equivalent of a 17 - 20 turn brushed motor, which I reckon the Egress will handle fine. I have an 8.5T in my TRF 201 XM, and that DOES feel too fast for the Egress chassis! ;-)

Do you know what pitch the standard pinions are, and also where I might be able to get a steel one that will mesh correctly?

I was thinking of getting a second Egress kit for spares, but ended up just getting a second body parts set off eBay instead. The only way to get the CVDs is to but the parts, and they are VERY expensive to buy this way, which is odd, as the other 4WD assembly CVDs are not too bad price wise. I just wondered if any other ones would fit (DF-03, DB01 etc.)

Maybe I will look in to getting a second kit later on, assuming they are still available.

Egress runs 0.6 mod pinion .

I have a 13.5 BL & will change it to 10.5 brushless system.

But at the moment i'm running 23T , BUT also

we have a big track & i find the BL's needed to be

geared more , because of the torque ( no motor don't get hot ) .

We have big triple & there is a quad ( not that i am keen to do that )

If your track is small or tight , use lower gear ( small pinion size )

If your track is long & wide , use higher gears ( bigger pinion size )

But it also comes down to grip , tight turns , etc . If motor , esc is getting hot

it's the wrong gearing , Set up the gearing if there is MORE tight turns & NOT

the straight .Alot of people gear there car for the straight & cook the motor

as it has ( lets say ) 90 % tight turns that almost go in another turn etc one long straight !.

There is so much to say & different things that can change the car on the track .

If your racing take some pinions of different sizes . 18T to 24T ? & that should give you

a good range . I have 0.6 RW Racing pinions .

Good luck .

• Like 1

Hi there, I realise this thread is out of date but I've managed to source an Egress which I'm v excited about. I want it to be v fast but for bashing around, not serious racing.

I don't want to use a Lipo battery as am concerned about the fire hazard in the house so please can you suggest to me:

1. The best motor, ESC, pinion gear and battery combo for an Egress to make it go as fast as possible without sacrificing on reliability?

2. Would you reccomend that I go 23T Brushed motor or should I use a brushless one with NiMH battery?

3. What pinion gear do I need?

4. Do I need to do anything else to the gear box apart from replace the pinion gear?

It looks like the Super Sport BZ motor is a good option but will it be fast enough? It was also suggested to me that I buy this ESC: Tamiya Brushless ESC 02 - Sensored TBLE-02S as it works with both brushed and brushless motors in case I want to use brushless at another date. Is this a good idea or is there a better combo you suggest?

Thanks very much.

I'm not sure what you mean about reliability. The problem with speed in an RC is not so much reliability.........Its the fact that you are more likely to destroy your model by crashing it. The fastest motor would be 3.5T brushless, but you will definitely DESTROY a nimh battery pack in only a couple runs (it will get cooked).

A BZ is a good conservative brushed motor that will play well with NiMh and not break the bank. As for it's top-speed, that all depends on which pinion you choose. If you only want top speed runs, then a large pinion is your choice. Be aware that you WILL generate a lot of heat doing top speed runs so you will need to keep an eye on motor temp and stop once you can no longer hold your thumb on the motor can for 3 seconds straight.

If you are going to run the car on a track, then you need an array of pinion options to find the best one. The idea is install the pinion that allows the car to reach top speed just before the end of the longest straight. From there you can drop a tooth or two to control any possible heat issues that might arise while running.

The point is there is NEVER a set pinion size for your build. I recommend buying lots of pinions and tuning them each time you run the car some place new.

BTW: The Egress can fit down to a 12 tooth pinion (for very high rpm motors and/or super tight tracks). I think it goes up to 22 or 24 tooth (silver can motors or top speed runs).

Best to decide if you want to go brushed or brushless first and then go from there, specially with regards to which ESC or power system to buy. I personally wouldn't buy a TBLE-02 although I do use them when they come with the kit. 19t steel pinion would be my pick with a BZ / TZ motor and 2.2 wheels for the Egress. I ran this set up with NiMh on loose dirt / limestone for a long time.

Note: The silver can and current Tamiya Sports Tuned motors DON'T fit the Egress without using the Vanquish motor plate.

Thanks v much to both of you.

Thommo, what do you mean by 2.2 wheels? I was planning to use the wheels in the kit, is this not sufficient? I think your suggested set up sounds like it would suit me.

Thanks again

Final questions are:

1. which ESC,

2. battery pack and charger

3. radio set

would you recommend with your suggested set up?

Thanks again

The kit wheels are actually pretty good on loose dirt and even better if you fit some foam inserts (purchased separately) inside the tyres. 2.2 wheels and tyres are a bit bigger than what is supplied in the kit. 2.2 wheels and tyres are what most modern racing buggies use.

Final questions are:

1. which ESC,

2. battery pack and charger

3. radio set

would you recommend with your suggested set up?

Thanks again

1. Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 - (this is a brushed motor only ESC and very user friendly, excellent value for money and capable of running a BZ motor for longer). http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__81500__Hobbywing_Quicrun_60A_2S_3S_Waterproof_Brushed_ESC_for_1_10.html

2. IMAX B6AC - (this is my favourite charger and again, very user friendly and excellent value for money. Make sure you get the one that is AC input voltage compatible so you can run it on 110 / 240 from your home. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__58285__IMAX_B6AC_V2_Professional_Balance_Charger_Discharger.html

2. Intellec and Orion make very good NiMh batteries from 3300mah to 5000mah. Just don't buy cheap batteries.

3. If you don't already have a radio then one of these would be a good start point. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12181__HK_310_3_Channel_2_4ghz_FHSS_Ground_Radio.html or this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24904__HK_210_2_Channel_2_4ghz_FHSS_Ground_Radio.html

Please view these as suggestions and not a recommendation. Good luck and enjoy that Egress.

Thanks very much, hugely appreciated.

What is the difference in 3300mah vs 5000mah. Will 5000mah run longer? If so is there a downside to it?

Thanks very much, hugely appreciated.

What is the difference in 3300mah vs 5000mah. Will 5000mah run longer? If so is there a downside to it?

The 5000mah battery will give you a longer run time but will be a little heavier in the car.

As mentioned, the kit tires are fine for their intended purpose (looking good). But they offer little in the way of grip or options (only hard Tamiya pin-spike, oval-block or hybrid-spike tires). If you get modern 2.2" wheels (DF03 wheels are best), you will have a huge range of tires that you can purchase at any local rc hobby shop for any condition.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp?t=n&id=img38252_03082013064511_3.jpg

Here's an Avante with DF03 wheels & Proline tires:

Photo-Sep-14-11-49-24-AM.jpg

Pls can you send me a link of where to buy foam inserts for kit wheels and also a link to buy 2.2 wheels and tyres like the ones on the avante?

Thanks v much

Perfect, thanks. Wow that Egress looks good. What's the motor it's got, with blue can?

That's not an Egress , that's the Avante of what the Egress came from .

haha , No i didn't sorry :lol: .. Just looked at pic & was thinking it was the same :D ..

Hi matman, did u not click on the link? I wasn't talking about the image but the link.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp?t=n&id=img38252_03082013064511_3.jpg

Def an Egress and looks great!

I have those same black DF03 wheels and high-density spike K tires on my Vanquish. The K "kit" tires (high-density and dual-block versions) are fantastic for basic bashing on all surfaces. They are very hard and last forever, even driving on asphalt. They don't offer race-levels of traction, but that not a problem for basic 4WD non-competitive driving. You could probably destroy them rather quickly with high power brushless (since this car has no slipper), but that' the price you pay for MOAR-POWAH!

Many thanks. My Egress arrived today! So excited to build it.

Where can I buy those black 2.2 wheels on the Egress in the photo and the Proline tyres?

Also where can I buy foam inserts for the kit tyres? Do I need foam inserts for 2.2" wheels with Proline tyres?

Sorry to be such an amateur but have been out of this game for nearly 25 years! I'm also going to head to local off road race track when done. Hoping BZ Supersport motor will be enough. Thanks for all the help.