lasse2t

Super Blackfoot restauration uppgrading

Hi ! I am a new member from Sweden and i have had this super Blackfoot since new.

It's in need for some repair and i think i will try to put some new and better parts on it also.

I will collect most of the parts first before i start.

My first thoght is some better shocks and some ball bearing.

What about this shock? is it any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ansmann-Racing-Oil-Filled-Shock-Absorber-Damper-RC-Shocks-Dampers-55-75-85-95mm-/370638504482?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&var=&hash=item564bc6c222

This is my car for the moment, i will take it apart and clean and see what parts that i need to replace.

post-42638-0-04545500-1398712469_thumb.j

Hi and welcome to the forum. Those Ansmann shocks are pretty good for money yes, on the Super Blackfoot you'll be wanting the 95mm ones as this is closest to the recommended 92mm length for oil shocks in the manual.

Welcome to the TC forums, lasse2t! :)

The Super Black Foot is a great runner, and with those shocks it will be even better. ;)

Some update today. Everything is ready to put together again, nice and clean. Ball bearing, shocks (Ansmann) , brushless motor and Esc is ordered from Hobbyking.

I hope i get the parts in the beginning of next week.

Is there anything more i need to do to the Super blackfoot to make it a litle bit better except for those part i have ordered?

/Lasse

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350811494434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370638504482?var=640033913259&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__33390__Turnigy_TrackStar_1_10th_Scale_60A_Car_ESC_Version_2_EU_warehouse_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__52301__Turnigy_TrackStar_10_5T_Sensored_Brushless_Motor_3250KV_EU_Warehouse_.html

post-42638-0-61291400-1398964602_thumb.j

post-42638-0-37626200-1398964623_thumb.j

Because i have found some cracks in the front shock tower i have decided to reinforce it with some aluminum.

post-42638-0-29000200-1398977072_thumb.j

Nice Super Blackfoot :) According to what I've seen on Tamiyaclub's reviews on this chassis, it seems the front end is likely to snap off in collisions. So this could be one area where you might want to keep an eye on. Good luck on your restoration.

The chassis components are identical to the 58101 Bush Devil, it just differs in color of the wheels and chassis frame.

See also this review for more information if you like: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/car_comment.asp?cid=101

Some parts are also interchangeable with the later 58192 King Blackfoot, which has a revised front end:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=198

If you're in the need for build manuals, you can download them at http://www.tamiyausa.com

Thank's GregM. According to the bad frontend, yes i actually just ordered new upright holders for the front end, i already have two pairs of upprights.

I will try to reinforce the holders also when i got theme.

I also need some new tyres, is there any better tyres avaliable out there?

Because i have some more parts i shall order from this company, maybe they have some tyres that will fit?

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/vintage-tamiyaparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

i think i will do the screw modification on those part to.

post-42638-0-91767000-1399017245_thumb.j

The Super Blackfoot wheels are regular 2.2" ones, so a lot of Monster Truck tires of that size should fit. The regular Monster Beetle style tires are fine for most terrains and are still available thanks to the WR-01 and WT-01 chassis. There are also cheap knock-offs available from Seben Racing. I've tested them, they do fine but phew, they smell very bad, you don't want to store them indoors. The tire molding isn't that great too, so I can't recommend them.

By the way, keep your front wheels, since they aren't produced anymore and differ from the rear wheels due to their bearing fitment vs hex hub fitment. Most aftermarket sellers only have 2.2" wheels with hex fitment, but I think HPI still sells suitable front wheels with a wide range of adaptors.

Your car doesn't need the differential mod for the drivecups, since it it uses the revised plastic gearbox (same as King Blackfoot) and encapsulated differential. The diff mod is meant for Frog chassis vehicles with the metallic gearbox sideplates (e.g. 58058 Blackfoot, 58060 Monster Beetle, 58077 Mud Blaster), since their metal plates are bending under load and their diff is an open design.

Not a fan of the bolts used, but that mod looks pretty much indestructible! :)

Those bolt is only what i had for the moment to hold it together until the glue has cured.

They are not pretty, i agree.

I got my Ansmann shocks today and 3 of them was perfect, one of the shocks felt a litle bit sluggish

on the almost fully extended stroke.

Shall i take it apart i try to fix it?, what can be the cause of that?

Yes, please take the shock apart. I assume it might be lacking oil, which happens often with pre-built cheaper oil shocks.

Sometimes the O-ring seals lack in quality, they can be replaced with Tamiya's red silicone O-rings.

How is the spring strength of the Ansmann shocks? Too weak, too stiff or just the right balance, when tried on your fully equipped Super Blackfoot (full electronics, battery and body shell)?

I took the shock apart and i found the cause why one of the shock was binding a litle at the end.

the part that is connected to the rod was actually get stuck to the shock tube in the bottom.

I took some fine emery cloth and now it's functioning nice and smoth.

The o-ring in the shock seams to be red silicone.

I have to wait and see if those spring has the right strength until the car is rebuilt, i still wait for some parts.

Just got my motor and esc from Hobbyking today, just tested them and the are working fine :)

Still waiting for the ball bearing until i can start the rebuild.

1399399192erm.jpg

Ok i got my ball bearing today so i could start the rebuild of the gearbox.

unfortunally i ordered the 58058 ball bearing kit insteed of the super blackfoot so i still missing

2 bearing for the wheels. I think i will use some of the nylon ones until i found some extra.

20140508_142107_zps69c0efb8.jpg

I also need some bushing for the shock rod end, the Ansmann shock didn't came with those,

maybe i try to make my own or you have some tips where i can finde those? think they are 5mm in the hole.

20140508_142541_zpsefdc4895.jpg

I decided to do my own bushings for the Ansmann shock, seems to work.

20140509_193026_zpsc777d950.jpg

20140509_193238_zps1314d5e0.jpg

Starting to look like a car now! only the front end left, and some more.

20140509_203415_zps2470d0e9.jpg

The new motor fits perfect also.

20140509_203551_zpsf6045bcd.jpg

20140509_203610_zpsb44466dd.jpg

• Like 1

You're making a beast out of that old dog! Would be really nice to watch some action video of that one when ready! ;)

You're making a beast out of that old dog! Would be really nice to watch some action video of that one when ready! ;)

Whe have to see how beasty it will be. It's on wheel at least.

Maybe there will be a video when it's ready :)

20140510_124945_zpsecaa9d6f.jpg

Here is some preview of the car with Turnigy Trackstar motor 3250 Kv and Turnigy Trackstar 60A Esc on 2 cell Lipo.

Enjoying following this build, loving your work!

Thank's, i trying to do my best. Hopefully the outcome will be not to bad.

I have just got my 4 battery from Hobbyking, they will not fit in the car without some grinding but only litle.

I also need to change the plug on the battery to.

If i get rest of the parts tomorrow, maybe i can do some real life test in the weekend and take some video to :)

20140515_213837_zps5d06e4c3.jpg

I actually had to grind of a litle to make those battery fit.

20140518_144715_zps6c918f42.jpg

Some test of the damper, it seams to me that the rear is fine but the front is to hard?

Change the front springs they are too stiff.

Max

I decided to do the servo relocation modification to get a more precise stearing.

I also put a Tamiya servo saver on. Working good.

20140525_215410_zps5a0a088e.jpg