vtrkid75

help as regards tamiya 540 sort tuned queries twin motor model

help

ive just purchased a tamiya twin detonor from fleabay and as I have previously always used the tamiya rs 540 sport tuned black can motors in single motor cars ive just puchased 2 x of this motor but while brousing around the web ive noticed a few people saying you cant use this motor in a twin motor car if one needs to wired reverse due to the gearbox layout as they are advanced in forward mode so one motor will run faster forward than the other in reverse mode so in theory the from wheels will spin slower than the back.

is this correct ?

your assistance in this matter with recommendations of motors that i could use will be grately appreciated.

ill update my photos on the website as soon as it arrives and i start tinkering.

thanks for info but im getting now even more confused, people are saying that the older sport tuned motors are 27 turn with advanced timing and the newer ones are 23 turn with zero timing

any ideas other than spinning them up in one direction then the other and seeing if i can hear any difference in noise (rpm) ?

ive just heard from the supplier of these motors and he says that all though the gearboxes are 180 degrees out they actual motors both run forward in forward mode from the speed controller !!! the plot thickens

well an update , thanks for all the advice , ive managed to find time to strip both gearboxs down today to fit the sealed bearings to them , 24 bearing later i finally got chance to add the mentioned tamiya rs540 sport tuned motors with upgrade 20t pinions from the standard 18t ones.

well everybody is correct as well as myself that the front motor runs backwards (no advance timing) as expected when the whole box is 180 degrees rotation but ive had a few test runs and all though the front wheels in theory turn slower that the rears it goes alot better that stock motors and pinions but time will tell as i presume the rear motor is under higher load pushing it forward than the fronts, im no racer just enjoy the usual bashing around with my 9 year old son and his slightly modified king blackfoot ,bless him he did his 1st battery changover all by himself last night without any prompting on the order you switch the rx and tx off and on so proud dad am I !!!!

while stripping the box's id noticed the previous owner had a 18t pinion gear to front box mounted in the 20t mounting holes which surely isnt good but the primary gear following the pinion gear wasnt stripped so thats a bonus eh !!!!

list of mods to my twin detonator will be when they all arrive are.

twin tamiya rs540 sport tuned motors

24 x 1150 sealed metal ball bearings to gearbox and axles

2 x 20t pinion gears

cva short shock kit to front and rear

2.4ghz spektrum tx and rx

8t esc wired for both motors

turnigy tgy-1501 17kg/cm high torque metal geared steering servo

running my usual 4500mah ni-mh batteries which last quite a while for 2 motors.

paul

Welcome to the club.

Yes you need 2 motors with zero timing, or adjustable timing motors to use with this chassis.

(It maybe possible to alter the timing on sport tuned, but it will be hard work as they are fixed endbell)

I have this chassis, but just running silver cans, and ball bearings at the moment.

It is a very versatile chassis, I am looking forward to modding mine.

Edit to add.

Some people say the best mod is to make it RWD like the blackfoot 3

ive just heard from the supplier of these motors and he says that all though the gearboxes are 180 degrees out they actual motors both run forward in forward mode from the speed controller !!! the plot thickens

paul

As a proud Twin Detonator owner of several years' standing, I can say with complete certainty that the above is absolute, prime, 1st grade twaddle!

The WR01 chassis is symmetrical. The front and rear gearboxes are identical. As such, if both motors were running with forwards rotation, the two sets of wheels would spin up in opposite directions, burning rubber but going nowhere. For the car to go forwards, you need the front motor to rotate backwards.

For a while I had my Twin Det set up with dual ESCs on separate channels. Combined with 4WS, this allowed me to spin the motors up in the same direction on purpose, then put in opposite steering commands front and rear, making the car move sideways.

As for motor suggestions, if you are willing to use a non-Tamiya product, the Etronix Sport Tuned motors are good value, and have adjustable timing so you can easily set up the front one to run correctly.

• Like 1

Motors run in opposite directions. If you build your own harness you have a red and black from each motor going to one output of the esc. Sports tuned may stuggle and could scrub your tyres pretty quick.

There are a few options... Traxxas make a reverse rotation version of the 20 turn Titan from the Emaxx. I have a matched pair of 20t Titans in my shorty 4WD Blackfoot 3 that I haven't tested, but I have used them on 7.2v before. No means a screamer but they work...

If you can pick up a matched pair of Kyosho 360 Megamotors that would be the best, but rare as...

You need a motor set from an e revo for the Titan motors. They are sedate with very high torque on 7.2v but can take 16+ volts easy