nodtec

other forms of money drains

Just thought it might be interesting what other hobbies/pastimes people have to get rid of that excess cash that keeps building up in there wallets. I, apart from collecting old willy's, the r/c type not human specimens, waste money on Honda Z50's and am doing up an old Mini Cooper. These seem to be enough to keep me poor so the Lambo Countach will have to stay just a pipe dream for the moment.

redzed003_zps80bdf5f5.jpg

minifirstdayout010_zps420c8c80.jpg

• Like 2

I've been working on an 84 Mazda RX7 for the last 10 years. Its in the paint shop now and should be ready in about 1 month. Im also into high end computers. So far the biggest wallet drainer I have is.........the wife :o

I... have been eating food :P

My main non-academic cash drain as a student has been registering for ice hockey leagues, as that is my sport of choice. Soon, I will require new equipment, which as a goalie may leave me little to pay the leagues.

Fortunately, as a goalie, I am also in high demand. This means free ice hockey also awaits!

DSLR and those prime lenses will max out your credit card very quickly. Add in a tripod from RRS and their ball head, i am done for the year...RC is no longer my money pit. photography is:-)

I got an vw t2 72mod westfalia, it takes it share of money, but it's so absolutly worth it :-)

• Like 1

Money drain?

Kids!!!

If you think they are expensive now....I have 3 daughters as well.

Gulp, it makes me nervous just to thinking about it!

Wife, child & dog. Not necessarily always in that order. :)

If you think they are expensive now....I have 3 daughters as well.

Gulp, it makes me nervous just to thinking about it!

University...marriage, better get a second job... grandchildren
  • Like 1

Other than R/C cars I also like 1:1 cars and motorcycles. My Big Money Waster 540 has been sitting in my driveway for a while with worn can chain guides. I have a lower mileage motor that I want to replace a few parts on before installing. All of this will take place once I clear some room in my garage

012809016.jpg

BMW14.jpg

I've been fixing up my bronco. Bigger wheels and tires. Small lift. Nicer stereo with a big subwoofer.

022411012.jpg

iphonepics301.jpg

But my real passion has been my motorcycles. My CBR1000rr is a blast to ride with its Wow acceleration. I've changed motors in it. Aftermarket intake header and exhaust. A power commander to tune all the elements together.

image_zpsbaed5c5c.jpg

image_zps38543e88.jpg

My Suzuki was given to me by my brother in law when I got divorced and the ex took my car. I needed something cheap to commute to work with. I've replaced to bodywork and bought a more comfy seat that my girlfriend loves to ride on. A couple of weekends ago we went on a 325 mile trip with it.

image_zps05b34752.jpg

081409092.jpg

That Bronco looks well sweet Jim

My latest drain

hedge_zps7e4213d4.jpg

Parts donor

judy5_zps302532ee.jpg

Hey Twinset I used to ride a pro flex animal back in the day. Awesome bike.

My other drain is scuba diving.

Gonna be a while before that's ridden, the intention's to get it stripped and repainted

Then find some Vectors

I used to dive (hence Twinset) but gave up when I got married - a man cave full of scuba doesn't go with women's stuff :(

The Twinset take on wall-art

img169_15102004225252_6.jpg

Number one: the Miata. 1991 base model, 214,000+ miles and going strong, had her for 5 years now. Have replaced so many parts I've lost track.

2012-09-22%252017.37.02.jpg

This summer it's getting a vinyl wrap (cheaper than paint). Haven't decided on a color yet, but it will not be red. Everybody and their uncle Myron has a red Miata around here, it seems like...

I also built this:

DSCF0400.JPG

And this:

DSCF0774.JPG

And have just started on this.

2012-12-27%252016.42.02.jpg

We also just moved to a new house about a year and a half ago, and we have way too many renovation and expansion plans for our own good...

Markbt73, you've got to give it a Tamiya themed body wrap! But what classic kit would suit the Miata best ... actually forget that. It needs racing Gulf colours :)

That Bronco looks well sweet Jim

My latest drain

hedge_zps7e4213d4.jpg

Parts donor

judy5_zps302532ee.jpg

Hows the bike coming along?

Since I have pretty much acquired a hobby store full of RC NIB kits, spares, bodies, paints and electronics, I've decided to stop spending money on it.

My current money drains are travel and investing.

I book trips, and spend on hotels, eating out, and seeing friends. Mostly European travel in Ireland, France, Poland and Spain. But the occasional Hawaii and Mexico as well.

I also now buy dividend stocks like a hobby, searching, reading, and finding new ones to buy to increase my dividend income.

I can't really provide photos of my money drains, but they take up most of my paycheck every month!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Hows the bike coming along?

Haven't started work yet, strip and respray first

Still trying to get a spare weekend to get cracking!

Must mention my 1:1 1303 project that i started may 2014, an absolute money drain.

20141219_144546_zpsbosklk0f.jpg

• Like 2

Two kids 3 & 5

Wife to look after them

'00 Ducati 750

'54 Ariel 350

Quite a few early 70's CZ two strokes

PADI diver

TamiyaClub..........

I love just about everything and need to slim down my passions as I get older, I have a very expensive mountain bike I have not used in years and climbing gear I am just getting back in to.

The more I work the more I earn and the less time I have to enjoy it

Dads bike, my kids

f57dcaafba0961a7c814b1036e0bce5a_zpscb784ebfe897c1c2c2ab54e50f2fd7a629f1_zpse0e5

@MitchellJames how did you get the time machine to work properly?

• Like 1

@MitchellJames how did you get the time machine to work properly?

:)

Its to do with the calibration of the flux capacitor :lol:

• Like 1

wow that is some boom box collection. How did you got started? Does your house shakes once you have all them on for the same station? That is great.