nodtec

other forms of money drains

Nikon d810, 14-24 lens, billingham bag....and i refused to pay the $0.50 for the plastic shopping bag the crazy tree hugger imposed on all plastic bags here.

• Like 1

Not sure if pulling quotes from other threads works but:-

Sorry totaly off topic, what you squirting. Do you have a build page on their forumn? I did a zvh fiesta years ago

The cars a 2nd Gen pontiac TransAm (smokey and the bandit 2 shape),with a late 80's 3rd gen fuel injected 5.7 ltr engine and 4 speed auto box.

Gone for a megasquirt3 to give me sd card data logging,4th gear torque converter lockup,nitrous control and the option to upgrade to turbos later on :)

Wasn't expecting to see Megasquirt referenced on this forum. I have given up on my dream of a 1:1 locost following the arrival of my son. That's why I am here!

It's kind of taken a back burner atm,everything is there,just need to get in and get on with it!

Video of it running after we put a basic tune in:-

• Like 1

Not sure if pulling quotes from other threads works but:-

The cars a 2nd Gen pontiac TransAm (smokey and the bandit 2 shape),with a late 80's 3rd gen fuel injected 5.7 ltr engine and 4 speed auto box.

Gone for a megasquirt3 to give me sd card data logging,4th gear torque converter lockup,nitrous control and the option to upgrade to turbos later on :)

It's kind of taken a back burner atm,everything is there,just need to get in and get on with it!

Video of it running after we put a basic tune in:-

It is well proven on those engines so should be a good set up. I set one up on a ZVH fiesta 10 years ago, car needed to much work so we gave it up as a bad job. Thinking about Microsquirt on my Ducati now

It is well proven on those engines so should be a good set up.

Plenty of them running with it over in the states.Its an L98 not an LT1 that my mates listed in the YouTube vid,(although not going to argue,as he knows his cheddar with voodoo electronics)

There's alot running it on the later LS engines,most with turbos,making really really good power.

Thinking about Microsquirt on my Ducati now

Great for tuning,especially if you're altering cams, injector sizes or power adders etc.

Will need to run a Microsquirt if/when I upgrade to a more modern stronger electronically controlled gearbox,the late 80's one I have are not known to be strong,so with the mods and nitrous,it's not going to be a long term option.

Ha ha, the aerial is up, You've got the radio on :D

Nitomor, on 08 Jan 2015 - 7:48 PM, said:

172477_10150091363553218_298315_o.jpg

• Like 1

Haha,

Yes, it had a radio back then, although the volume was down I didn't realise until I saw the pics that the aerial was up! Old school tech! I took the radio out anyway (couldn't hear it anyway), it's been replaced with engine management electronics now!

This better (sans aerial) ;)

nito%20flame1_zpsk8pqrfgl.jpg

• Like 4

This is starting to eat both time and money but I am looking forward to the good weather

27a05c3e8598901b0fbba67d266eed2c_zpsfefu

• Like 4

I drive the grey one on the right, I try to ensure that the nice people who drive the white one on the left do not drain even more money from my wallet.

001%203_zpsfcfvtrsg.jpg

• Like 2

Great stuff there!

Sadly I've given up on the 1:1 stuff for now. Not compatible with kids in terms of time and money so 1:10 it is for the moment!

It's so satisfying building a car up from almost scratch to your spec. I did a similar thing with one of mine, engine, box, suspension, fuel system etc all out in the garage, stripped and built back up to the highest standard I could using the best components I could afford, it became another obsessive build but it was a tick off the bucket list, something I always wanted to do.

Enjoy!

Great stuff there!

Sadly I've given up on the 1:1 stuff for now. Not compatible with kids in terms of time and money so 1:10 it is for the moment!

Cheers Nitomor,

The project wasn't a project at the start,all I was doing was doing a bit of welding for the MOT as it was my DD at the time.

Someone gave me a car to keep me going,so it was a case of,while that's off,I'll replace that,no point doing that without that and it's snowballed to say the least!!

3 redundancies,one move to another country,4 house moves(hopefully last move at the end of the month) a wedding and now a baby daughter later,and I can get stuck into it properly!

At least the 1:10 scale stuff is easier to hide from the wife :)

• Like 2

Haha, too true.

I'm sure you'll have a lovely runner when done.

• Like 1

Well this just happened shocked.png laughing.png Little bit ahead of schedule (was meant to sell the camper first whistling.png ) Oh well, happy Wife happy life, Suppose this means I'll also take my cars to the beach more grin.png

11222006_10153898376255676_8921567116287

11222906_10153898376300676_2219750773727

12347753_10153898376200676_6815052364443

• Like 1

This is starting to eat both time and money but I am looking forward to the good weather

27a05c3e8598901b0fbba67d266eed2c_zpsfefu

Passed its not needed MOT today so I can put the plate on my Continental GT and rebuild this one on to a better base frame.

Cue long nights in the garage wishing I had more space and better tools

Passed its not needed MOT today so I can put the plate on my Continental GT

Think it's good to get a second opinion,even if not required?

Guessing it's not the Bentley?

• Like 1

Think it's good to get a second opinion,even if not required?

Guessing it's not the Bentley?

Legally need an MOT certificate to transfer a number of a pre '60 vehicle even though they don't need it for the road.

Yes bike not car. Early Bentley Continentals are only 30k now so not out of reach but I would never spend that on a car and I bet my Ducati is about as fast.

• Like 2

It was a bit of shock when they announced no MOT requirements for pre '60 stuff,something positive for classic's.

I was wondering if you where the new owner of the street eliminator Bentley ;)

b2ap3_large__D4S6375.jpg

• Like 1

Those early Bentleys (04) are in the low 20's now. Running costs I suspect are something else but I have it on good authority that they are in fact uber reliable but in the event you do actually need a part...ouch.

Funny you post that drag Bentley, I was watching some insane Bentley drag vids just the other day.

What Ducati Nobbi? I was having a poke around the Moto Guzzi V7 scrambler yesterday, no real intention to buy just liked the look of it and simplicity with its air cooled v twin.

The new breed of supersports bikes are all knocking out 200bhp plus seems insane. I particularly like the MV Agusta F4 RC at the moment 175kg/212bhp, especially now that AMG are on board engine/mapping will all be spot on now! The baby F3 800RC actually seems pretty reasonable value compared to a lot of other stuff out there but I found it physically a little too narrow for my liking, the F4 on the other hand...mmmmm, 312RR's are coming down in price at the moment. I've always liked the supersport bikes but part of the deal with my wife in getting back on bikes is that I wouldn't get a racer, so ironically I have the arguably even more insane Tuono which flies completely below the radar!

Funny you post that drag Bentley, I was watching some insane Bentley drag vids just the other day.

Running costs for that one maybe a bit higher than average! (yes it is Street legal)

This the engine that's in that bad boy

• Like 1

What Ducati Nobbi? I was having a poke around the Moto Guzzi V7 scrambler yesterday, no real intention to buy just liked the look of it and simplicity with its air cooled v twin.

The new breed of supersports bikes are all knocking out 200bhp plus seems insane. I particularly like the MV Agusta F4 RC at the moment 175kg/212bhp, especially now that AMG are on board engine/mapping will all be spot on now! The baby F3 800RC actually seems pretty reasonable value compared to a lot of other stuff out there but I found it physically a little too narrow for my liking, the F4 on the other hand...mmmmm, 312RR's are coming down in price at the moment. I've always liked the supersport bikes but part of the deal with my wife in getting back on bikes is that I wouldn't get a racer, so ironically I have the arguably even more insane Tuono which flies completely below the radar!

I have a 2000 750SS at the moment. I promised myself I would not have a fast road bike again and to me the Ducati falls just under fast. I love the Tuono and almost got one a few years ago but I put my money in to two ex race 600's to use as track bikes. Track days are behind me now, they were truly an expensive hobby to do well and often.

• Like 1

Part of me would love to do bike track days, I've been doing car track days for many years, but in having a long break from biking I've definately lost the edge. I used to be better biking than driving, definately not the case now! I wish I'd done bike days way back and not lost the skill, I don't have the confidence I once had with bikes and ride in a very different manner now.

About seven years after giving up biking I test rode a new out RSV mille (2002 model) was intoxicated by the power delivery but hated the heavy handling. Although never an R1 fan the shop advised me to try an R1, the handling on that was far quicker, much closer to my old 2 stroke but the engine felt slow and bland. I bought a Supra instead of a bike and that was it until buying the Tuono three years ago, the handling with its sit up bars and different ridin position steers much quicker than the same age mille.

My Tuono is a 2002 model V-twin, if I'm honest it's a terrible way to get back into biking after a 17 year break, the V twin low down thump of torque, heavily engine braked and full power mille lump with no electronics is the opposite end of the spectrum to the Aprilia RS175 stroked two stroke I was so fond of years earlier. It took me a while of reading and trial and error to learn about setting the suspension up also as one of the previous owners had lowered the rear suspension out of parameters so the handling was dire when I got it meaning it was rearing up with the tiniest of throttle inputs, making my first ride to work a really horrible experience. Resetting it all to factory specs and starting from that base point made a world of difference, I actually thought I'd completely lost the knack of riding, I couldn't point the bike where I wanted fighting it at every turn. Amazing the difference setup makes, and it highlights the problem with having fully adjustable bikes and not knowing what you're doing, mine was atrocious. Whereas on a bike with limited adjustment it would never be that far out.

That was three years ago now, it didn't take me long to get back into it but I'm not as competent as I was and with kids now I'm far more cautious than I ever was.

Part of me would love to do bike track days, I've been doing car track days for many years, but in having a long break from biking I've definately lost the edge.

That was three years ago now, it didn't take me long to get back into it but I'm not as competent as I was and with kids now I'm far more cautious than I ever was.

Kids do make you think more, I do wonder how the brain out types do it. Maybe they are all old and the kids have left home.

Cadwell park is only 15 min from me so track days were natural. The bike ones are much better that car ones, free overtaking makes it flow so much more.

If you do a car one up this way let me know, I am not a bad photographer and often pop over for a practice

• Like 1

Seems to be a common theme on here, most of these money drains have wheels. Here's mine:-

DSC_00201_zps1a5c68d0.jpg

I've also been big in to push bikes since forever, here's some of the current stable:-

DSC_1705_zps0bcd232b.jpg

DSC_2779_zpsdgj32nax.jpg

218712_10150178565682710_91480_o_zpsfe25

• Like 2