Sign in to follow this  
DerAlex

Need new car - fell in love with the XCs

Since my parents moved to South America for the winter I rediscovered my love for trucks. Ok I now the Mitsubishi Pajero is not what most US think about when talking about a truck ;)

Anyway , my parents got a Pajero and since my father is retired I thought of buying a Pajero for him (and of course for me ;) ) so that we could drive together someday.

Now I need to know some facts about the Pajero:

Does it roll over easyly?

Do the body mounts break fast (like Lunchbox or Midnight Pumpkin)?

How fast is this car?

What would be a fair price for a runner in a good condition (and so on)?

Easy to get spar parts?

[^]Thanks for your help

Did I forget anything?

Does it roll over easyly?

With the stock suspension and tires yes if you drive it fast on road, with the low ride kit not so easily. Anyway if you ask me its more fun off roads as its an incredible climber.

Do the body mounts break fast (like Lunchbox or Midnight Pumpkin)?

Don't think so.

How fast is this car?

Depends on motor and pinion you use, not slow with stock 540 and big pinion.

What would be a fair price for a runner in a good condition (and so on)?

They are pretty expensive, especially in german language countires, as they are highly desired there, so around $120- $150? Interestingly you can find NIB sometimes for less than $300!

Easy to get spar parts?

Except body parts yes, as the chassis is still sold with the XB Pajero, can get it with RC for less than $250 in Germany so not a bad option. Better stay away from Wrangler bodies as they reach very high prices as they used in many 3 speed conversions.

It depends on which pajero your talking about. The XB has the lexan shell and the kit version metal top wide has the hard plastic shell. Chassis are realtively the same but the kit version has oil filled shocks.

Yes they roll easily. You need to drive them like you would a real vehicle off-road. They are faster than you would really want to drive them. Body mounts are stout. Expect to pay about $150-200 for a MTW and about $100-$130 for an XB model. I don't know about parts availablity from your local hobby shop but you can find about anything on ebay.

Since you mentioned the Lunchbox and Pumpkin I wonder if you are thinking about the origianl Pajero of the 1980s. It's very different from the XC/XB version, but with chassis similar to the Pumpkin. If you are buying one sight unseen, make sure you know which one you are buying and price accordingly. The 1980s one is 2WD, and is more of a pickup truck/open back style.

The US is filled with Pajero-sized trucks (I think the Pajero is called 'Montero' here). There are many more of the smaller trucks like that here than the really large ones everyone likes to complain about.

@Bholio:

Funny.

I just passed by at one of my dealers today.

AND HE HAD A NIB 1980s Pajero Body id="red">We did not talk about prices.[:I]

I passed by with my Midnight because i wanted to buy the same colour I used when I restored it a couple of years ago.

Then I asked him if he could get an old Parma Copy of the Lunchbox or Midnight for runnig ......... and then he showed the old Pajero Body to me.

Looks great on my Midnight Pumpkin.

What would be a fair price for the 80s Pajero Body (NIB with decals windows and so on).

@DJ THEO and SHODOG:

I am looking for a XC Pajero/Montero, maybe I would prefer the Wrangler but my parents have a Pajero ... thats why I want a Pajero.

Altough I do like the CR-V, Wranger and Mu aswell.

Did I get this right? XB and XC are the same ? The only difference lies in the shocks? XC has oil shocks and hard plastic bodies instead whereas the XB has a silver Pajero lexan body ? I do not see more differences.

If that is so then I will concentrate my search on an XB and later upgrade the shocks and buy a nice NIB Body for the vitrine.

Anyways I would not like to run the car with the nice and realistichard plastic body. I can see it on my Midnight, I restored it and bought a new Body and forgot to buy a lexan body in case I wanted to race it after restauration. And now it has scratches

EDIT:

I think it is decided. I will try to buy the 1984 Pajero Body (#548044) at a reasonable price (i am still a student).

I really love the realistic hard plastic bodys and maybe it is just the beginning to a 1984 Pajero restauration. Moreover the main chassis are the same (Pumpkin and Pajero) so there must be a way to build body mounts. id="size1">

The price for a new older Pajero body is about $60/$70. The Pumpkin/Lunchbox chassis is VERY different so it will take some modifiying to get the body to fit.

The chassis does look quite similar but beleive me they are different.

Also the body mounts are different between XC and XB-Pajero and no manual and parts to lock the diff are included with the XB but you can find them from a XC.