drewbush

My intro and a few Porsche 959 questions

Hello,

I am a newer member to this site, been lurking for a long time. So I decided to combine a quick intro with some questions regarding a couple of 959's I purchased a while ago off of the Bay.

I started building and driving Tamiyas back in the early 80's. orignally with the Frog(my only vehicle I never kept). Then onto a RC10 a year later, a few years after that I got a Lunchbox. then into the 90's kind of dropped out of the hobby. Started back up in the late 90's with a TA02 skyline. Boxed those all up in the early 2000's and only in the last few years started thinking about getting them all back to running condition. Fastforward up to now, and I have since been buying vintage cars that I once owned or dreamed about gettig as a kid. On to the questions.

So I picked up a lot of 2 959's of the bay, both in a "somewhat complete" state. Of course the description was slightly vague and the pictures were not crystal clear, but since there was a buy it now of $200 for both, I decided it was a chance to take. This was the auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-Tamiya-58059-Porsche-959-Rally-Rc-Car-1-12-4wd-chassis-USED-/201063279849?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=GJJwAb19%252BLpVvaininjv4D7gkIU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_35wt_1365

Cars arrived and of course under inspection there were more of the typical broken parts(ie. lower front arm, rear body mount post, cracked lower knuckles, broken front diff housing,and a really nice home-made driveshaft with cv joints) that were never really disclosed. So stripped them down and am going through the components cherry picking the best ones for a resto project, leftovers for a runner and find different versions of the front suspension components.

F239407C-7C6F-4DB2-9ADD-3749FDD3235C_zps

You can see the added tabs on the ends, I assume it is a steering stop since the front uprights also have a tab on them. So my question is, I assume the tabs are a later version added in later production,or am I completely off base?

Question #2- what were the lengths of the rear camber links for the 3 different positions?

I assume I will have more questions as the restoration continues, so I might just add them in replies to this thread instead of creating a new one each time.

Appreciate any info that you guys can enlighten me with.

Thanks,

Andrew

Willy- I think you are dead on. I just looked at the manual onine for the celica, step 20 shows the different arms with the added tabs. Thanks for the quick reply.

Celica also had the white wheels & a spade-tipped driveshaft to suit its centre diff I think. 959 has mini dogbone tip.

Your spares car probably gained those uni joints off a SuoerChamp :)

The rotary MSC possibly came off a Kyosho.

$200 is fair. No scrap of original bodyshell but there's 2 TechniGold, can't sneeze on those.

All you're buying is the metal hardware, most black plastic bits will crack even brandnew on the sprue.

Worse when it's exposed to UV or covered in oil (how nice of T to put oil reservoirs at each corner!). :)

Don't have too high expectations of a good runner though... back when new they were overpowered & didn't handle.

Welcome to the site, that's a nice haul you have there. For replacement body shells, Teambluegroove do excellent repros of both the 959 and the Celica so you could build one of each if you wish: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150625107974

there's also some mob making these "authentic" wheels, if ever your moneytree is overladen :)

DSCN0128.JPG

Well I thought I would update my progress with some pics. I appreciate everyone help and the other memebers that posted pics of there own so I can compare and see how it should look. My only issue is the previous owner had knocked out a section of the battery compartment on the opposite side of the regulaor opening.

DBBA32E8-B1B1-408F-ABF6-8CA810C9EAAF_zps

18BBF584-262B-4757-A452-B5952FA34444_zps

Wow that restore turned out nicely. I could only hope mine would turn out as nice

Aprreciate that Shodog, I was able to take the best from 2 chassis and make one. The big key was cleaning the parts. I had tried apc(all purpose cleaner) that we had at work. I scrubbed the **** out of all the parts. But then I got a ultrasonic cleaner, and man does that make the difference in getting parts spotless.

****- is c r a p ^^^^ not anything bad.

Nice score, my buddy ended up with three Tamiya's from the Goodwill. One was a 959, complete with body that we ended up Ebaying for $150 (I should have bought it). I have to say one thing, for an older model those suckers were fast. Good luck on the build.