pleiku68

Old Tamiya Motor RS 540SD

A few , actually many, years back I won an auction for three MIP type SRB's..These cars needed a lot of TLC but the important parts were in prime condition...Anyway I am starting a project now an have taken two of the three apart for cleaning...Inside one is a RS 540SD...Now I have an intense collection of tamiya motors but never seen the RS 540 SD...Black with a Red bell...It is probably before the RS 540 XD and the and definitely before the Technigold...and it runs CCW..Any help appreciated..The other car has a Black Team Checkpoint motor...has label 90 percent around the casing which repeats the Team Check point 9 times..Must be the Oz addition...lol

I've got one of them, I'd be interested to know something about it too

https://www.google.com/search?q=rs540sd&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=eTtsU5_QNc7ooAS7y4HYAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1680&bih=937

I think it was originally marketed as "black motor rc" and then later as "black motor sprint". The blue end-bell version is the Endurance motor. Either model probably had a slightly different amount of timing advance built into the end-bell while the standard 540 silver cans had zero (so they ran equally well in both directions).

I also heard from members here that the red-endbell motor is a lot more useful than the blue-endbell type; someone once called it 'gutless,' but I cannot remember who it was... Curiously, they show up from time to time on old Tamiya Toyota Hilux models, as they were apparently a recommended upgrade.

A few , actually many, years back I won an auction for three MIP type SRB's..These cars needed a lot of TLC but the important parts were in prime condition...Anyway I am starting a project now an have taken two of the three apart for cleaning...Inside one is a RS 540SD...Now I have an intense collection of tamiya motors but never seen the RS 540 SD...Black with a Red bell...It is probably before the RS 540 XD and the and definitely before the Technigold...and it runs CCW..

sounds like its just the Black Motor from late 70s.

Black can, red plastic end bell and a natural-alu machined front bushing holder.

Came sold as hopup for the 540/380 in the first CS pan cars,

T had to supply a 540-size ("CS") motor pod so it could go into the 380 nonCS cars.

Later came sold by itself; also supplied as OE for Lola Racing Master Mk1.

• Like 2

back.png Previous part Next part next.png

50189 RS- 540SD BLACK SPRINT
Part data
Alternative part numbers:

SP1189(MRC)

Part release date:
06 August 1983
Price at release date:
3000 Yen
b80c4220156cdb041c46c037b0e7cd1c.jpg
Motor data
Turns:
23x1
Normal voltage:
6 - 7,2 volt
Normal torque:
200 g-cm
Speed at normal load and voltage:
16300 rpm
Current at normal load and voltage:
7.7 Amp
Note:
Red endbell
Part compatible with following models:
Parts compatability according to Tamiya Guide Books (5-digit parts) and Tamiya Manuals (7-digit parts):
  • Like 1

Thanks HP Freak and everyone else...The info is extremely helpful..I will post pictures of the project next week..Regards Pleiku68

I had one of those but with the blue end which as someone said was the "Black Endurance" motor. I used to run it in a Marui CJ7 Golden Eagle when I was a kid... quick and cheap upgrade.

50200 RS-540SD BLACK ENDURANCE
Part data
Alternative part numbers:

SP1200(MRC)
Part release date:
15 November 1983
Price at release date:
3000 Yen
9402daad95185b1c782486a7d04c1204.jpg
Motor data
Turns:
unknown
Normal voltage:
6 - 7,2 volt
Normal torque:
200 g-cm
Speed at normal load and voltage:
14100 rpm
Current at normal load and voltage:
6.8 Amp
Note:
Blue endbell

Yep, the RS540SD with the red end cap was also called the Black or re-wound motor and it was made for the race type cars (Porsche, Lambos, F1). I put one in my rough rider back in the day and that buggy flew! At speed the tires would increase in diameter and lift the back of the buggy. Unfortunately if you hit a stick, branch, pebble or rock it would tumble for 15-20 feet and the car body would fly apart with the little drivers head bouncing down the street. Bodies were not cheap back then, around $20, and after replacing a few I took the motor out and sold it. It saved me a lot of money in the long run. 

Definitely nothing special compared to the later Dynatech/Dyna-run motors but a nice period motor👍

IMG_20210428_212752.jpg