Sign in to follow this  
tamiya_runner

XC Motors

I'm going to be rebuilding one of my XC's - current has a standard 27 turn motor but I was thinking about using a 35/45 or even a 55 turn motor - Also I believe I can still use the Tamiya TEU-110BK ESC ??

What combo do you run, coment welcome...

yup TEU101BK is fine

540 or SportTuned suits mine, with the smaller pinion

The problem you run into with "crawler" motors in CC01's is that against popular belief, a 55t doesn't have bucket loads of torque, so trying to get around the "taller than a SCX10" gearing with a really slow motor leaves you with a fairly slow car and no torque from the wimpy motor trying to turn tall gears.

The only slow motor that I have liked a lot in a CC, but still not a perfect result is a LRP Truck Puller (designed for 1/14th semi trucks). I don't know what wind it is, I'd guess about 60 from the speed, but has a whole lot more throat than any 55 or 60 I have tried. That is on the 16 tooth pinion.

Not sure where it was, but I had read once that the cut-off for torque in a 540 sized motor is somewhere around 35T. Anything beyond that and you're losing winding density, and end up with a zero-sum gain in terms of torque.

Case-in-point, Tamiya's crawler motor is 35 turns, because I assume that Tamiya did their homework on this one ;)

I use a 35T Integy lathe motor in my XC: Plenty slow and it's way more than enough pull for the relatively lightweight chassis.

I run a rebuildbable 80 turn motor in one of my CC-01`s, usually on 3s lipo power. And it is very good, even better on 4s.

Tamiya`s CR tuned motor was designed with the CR-01 in mind as its gearbox needed a decent rpm on 2s life or 6 cell nimh(dont forget Tamiya do not recognise LIPO as a power source), due to its epicyclic design.

I run 3s in most of my scale and crawler rigs using 32turn, 35 turn, 45 turn, 48 turn, 55 turn, 80 turn, it is so much nicer. A 55 turn motor on 3s produces a fair bit of power.

Volt up, and gear down.

I run a CR-Tuned on my DF-01 Humvee and can only say it's an excellent motor.

Should work well on a XC too - it's basically a silvercan on steroids.

Slightly slower in top speed but very good at the low range.

As far as I know, the only motor that has zero degrees timing...