Toykid

Fast Attack Vehicle to Desert Patrol Vehicle

As I was all CAD'd up on my Sand Rail conversion, the natural progression was to then have a go at the Navy Seal Desert Patrol Vehicle DPV.

I have always been a fan of the FAV but I had the Wild One as a teen. I have seen many on TC make some really cool conversions and really wanted to have a go myself.

Ok first the inspiration.

Posted Image

Then came the engine exhaust.

Posted Image

There were a number of different side pods designs I came across so I created this frame that I can add mesh and styrene sheet to as needed.

Posted Image

The rear gunners cage came next. I'll be adding the seat later and can't decide yet if I'll create my own or use Axial's seat.

Posted Image

Then of course comes the big .50 Cal.

Posted Image

Here it is roughly mounted to the cage.

Posted Image

Next up are the beadlocks. I based these as close as I could to the real reference I found online. I really like how these came out and I am excited to see what they look like on some of my other builds. I designed them as wheel covers to add onto the existing RR wheel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Initially I was just going to use my standard standard sand rail style front bumper, but after looking at all the reference the front spots are an iconic part of the Navy Seal DPV set up.

Posted Image

Here is where it stands right now. Now I have to tackle the rear seat.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Awesome work - it will be truly stunning in the flesh, I am sure!

That is one great design work. CAD sure opened up the world of drawing.

The FAV is one cool vehicle, but I am afraid is not practical for military application. The armour is your uniform and helmet. The personel will be baked if operating in hot places, like the middle east, unless only run after sun set, or frozen if operating in the Northern hemisphere.

Is just one big in your face dune buggy with 3 guys armed to the teeth that you don't want to mess with.

All looks spot on to me Toykid, great work.

I did a fair bit of research when I detailed my 1/6 version.

6ACFF53A-243A-4604-B5D1-631FB0D0C13F-276

These desert vehicles aren't suppose to be armoured as they're considered recon vehicles. They use lightweight and agility as their main USP. They were deployed in Panama and the 91 Gulf War but were found to be lacking in carry capacity for the essentials i.e. fuel, ammo, water etc for extended desert operations behind enemy lines.

There is also the issue with the 3 man crew were as most special forces use the SAS minimum standard 4 man operating unit. The SAS tried them out in the desert but preferred to stick with their stripped down 110 Landrovers and motorbike outriders for the above reasons. Also military vehicles will invariably be over loaded with equipment and that kills the 2wd buggy design.

The US have gone back to a similar design to the Lamborghini Cheetah, 4x4 and space for 4 men. They actually look a lot like an Axial Exo.

• Like 6

This is definitely my favourite conversion of yours so far, when will the exhaust be on Shapeways matey as my left mouse button finger is twitching! :D

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, I am trying to finalize the part now. I'll post here as soon as its done.

Woot woot, I'm getting really excited now! My FAV build has stalled at the moment as I don't want to call it done until I have your engine in it!

Here's a little mid week update. At-4's anyone?

Posted Image

• Like 1

Right this has really got my going! It is time a FAV entered my life.

What sort of timelines are you thinking of Toykid? I am particularly interested in those beadlocks to kick things off!

Nice to see this project get its own thread... superb details coming.....

Just wait till James starts on the drivers B) ... plus with the way things are chaining, he'll have that gun firing bullets soon :D

Hah, Steve, I think we might have to wait just a little longer for weapons that work, but you know those scale Heli guys already do that, so.... :)

njmlondon, the main files are at the printers now and typically take a couple of weeks to get to the workbench for the first round, then give me another 4 weeks to get everything tuned and ready to sell. My goal for this weekend is to get the exhaust done so SteveU30 can finally finish his awesome FAV shark build.

Ahh reminds me of my student days playing battlefield 2 far too much

I did enjoy the DPV, so good for just running people over with a little "meep meep" :)

• Like 1

Test fitted the AT-4's this am. I am trying to decide how much detail to add to the mounts as, given their location, these will need to be able to withstand a roll over.

Posted Image

• Like 1

The first batch of parts should arrive this week, so I prepped the donor FAV ready.

I used a wild one chassis so when it gets scratched it won't show. All parts are re-re except for the driver which is an original given to me many many years ago by a friend who knew I was into RC and this was the only part of his old FAV he could find to give me. I am stoked to be able to finally put it to good use.

Posted Image

• Like 2

You'll notice I have added an Axial seat as a test fit to see if it'll work. I won't know for sure until I get the rear gunner cage.

That Axial seat looks spot on to the real 1:1 seats fitted to these James - hopefully it will fit with your cage . Great work so far .

Wheels on, just waiting for the beadlock covers now. There is something about blacked out wheels that just look cool.

Posted Image

Next up is to narrow the front arms. Those that know the FAV vs. the wild One, know that the front arms were made wider for the Wild One. For the re-re I heard they use the wide arms on both. I have an original for comparison so I am going to modify my re-re parts to narrow them instead of hunting down parts on eBay.

• Like 1

As I am doing a military build and it is Memorial Day here in the US, it only felt right to take a moment of silence to respect the people that have given so much in service for their county.

Posted Image

• Like 5