JennyMo

12mm Hex wheel front freewheeling hubs for RWD Tamiyas (and others)

I tried those chinese aluminum hexes with 850s and while they work to some extent, you still have a lot of wobble or bind. Depending on how much you shim. My solution is to use sakura formula 1 knuckles, axles and 850s to make a 12mm hex for the front. It is a direct fitting replacement for those nylon tamiya knuckles.  Made such mods on my blitzer beetle, hornet, etc. Just because of angled arms on those knuckles, you may need to shorten steering links (I just make new ones with ball eyelets and some m3 threaded rod, and keep originals for reverting). But this angling also usually help to clear the rim of custom wheel you use. Part numbers are FGX-107 and FGX-124.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 1:43 PM, mindauxx said:

I tried those chinese aluminum hexes with 850s and while they work to some extent, you still have a lot of wobble or bind. Depending on how much you shim. My solution is to use sakura formula 1 knuckles, axles and 850s to make a 12mm hex for the front. It is a direct fitting replacement for those nylon tamiya knuckles.  Made such mods on my blitzer beetle, hornet, etc. Just because of angled arms on those knuckles, you may need to shorten steering links (I just make new ones with ball eyelets and some m3 threaded rod, and keep originals for reverting). But this angling also usually help to clear the rim of custom wheel you use. Part numbers are FGX-107 and FGX-124.

Sounds good. Would you mind posting some part numbers for what is needed? Also, which bore should the hexes be?

Would that mean the outer bearing shown to the right of the arrow sits on the outside face of the wheel exposee to the elements - as hex wheels dont have a recessed hole for a bearing to sit in.

I notice the vehicle the show it fitted to has really deep dished / offset wheels so its not easy to see.

52 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

I found a BF on EBAY that has an upgraded front Hub.  See pix:

https://jpegbay.com/gallery/007577073-.html#1

https://jpegbay.com/gallery/007577077-.html#1

Can anyone identify the Hub???  It seems like a better solution that trying a bearing carrying 12mm hex on a OG BF Axle???

Terry

Would love to try a set of those!