Sign in to follow this  
fury_dice(2)

On-Road tyres for Manta Ray

I would like to find some suitable tyres for 'car park' running with my Manta Ray. I have what I believe to be a set of 'lightweight buggy wheels' but don't really know what to ask for to get the appropriate tyres. This might sound sacriligeous (sp?) but I don't want to mess up the pristine spiked tyres that came with it (thanks James [:)]). Any ideas gratefully received.

While I'm at it, suitable 'bashing' tyres for M03 and TL01 cars are also needed - would foam be any good? The kit tyres are down to slicks in no time.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

Having just restored my beloved manta ray, and knowing how hard the wheels and tires are becoming to find. I have some 1/10th on road foam tires for mine, works a treat.

quote:
Originally posted by MiniManiac

I have some 1/10th on road foam tires for mine, works a treat.

id="quote">id="quote">

What did you get, and where from? I'm afraid I don't know much about foam tyres.

Actually the Manta Ray tires shouldn't be hard to find replacements for, since the Dirt Trasher which is still being made as of my 2002 Tamiya catalog is a Manta Ray (different body and decals).

But I see the point.

For car park running I guess slicks, foam or radial tires would be good. The Blazing Star which is similar in body type to the Manta uses 50522 Castrol Celica Wheels and 9805561 Tires. Those are 7 mm narrower than the normal Manta tires.

On Tamiyas US site they have charts telling which parts fit what car, that can be helpful, also the annual catalog. Just look for the Dirt Trasher and Blazing Star for compatible parts.

Since these use a hex mount wheel, why not pic up a set of HPI Super Nitro Wheels and tires. These are large enough to clear any suspension arms. The large size of the wheel will look cool.

Jim

I think its Proline that made the "Road Hawg"; treaded tyres suitable for buggy wheels. Not sure if they still make them.

I use M1 mini foam tyres and wheels on my M01 for racing. DMS Racing are selling them at a reduced price of £2.25 a pair at the moment.

Remember the TL-01 uses standard size touring car wheels, and any tyres will fit from any manufacturer. For car park running where grip is not too important, how about rally block tyres? Loads of tread and will cut through the dust better than slicks. If you decide to try foam tyres, choose a firm grade such as blue. The softer foams will disappear even faster than your slicks. A new set of foams on wheels are not cheap, but once you have the wheels you can remove the old tyres and replace them very cheaply. A set of Pro 10 rear donuts can be cut up so you have a set of tyres for £5-7.

I have run my buggies for a long time on foams. The older buggy wheels are the right size to fit pro10 or 1/8th stock car tyres, modern wheels are too big. If you get some foams you will have to remove the ribs from your off road wheels, and then glue the tyres in place using Evo stik or similar contact adhesive.

The standard hex fitting on the axles mean modern Tamiya, HPI and Kyosho wheels will fit, with any tyre you want, not just Tamiya. Look for a tyre with lots of large blocks on the tread. The tyres from the F-150 truck and the Hummer would be ideal for on road use.

HI!

The German brand CARSON make 2.0 size on road tires radials and slicks. I have used these tires in my SUPER CHAMP CARBON CAR and they have good grip too. If you don`t find them there so I can sell to you.[;)]

JERRY

Big thanks to everyone that's chipped in on this - plenty to think about !! I'll do some research at the weekend and take it from there. Thanks again for helping out a 'newbie'.