HomerJHandley

displaying cars : what do you do?

As title, i have 3 cars, all in a 'used', so not really suitable for displaying, but just wondering what other people have and how do they display?

IIRC there was someone who had the models built up and stickered up but left the bodies clear so the internals could be seen..

thanks

I was running out of places to store some of my cars,

so I built this case.

More pictures in my showroom

img30018_13042014172015_1.jpg

I see you currently have 3 cars,

be careful as being on Tamiya club seems to makes them reproduce :rolleyes:

• Like 1

lol, my collection shrinks and grows !

got 5 actually, but one is a falcon and the other an M02 Eunos, but they no longer get used!

but the clod has a body that is knackered, by bush devil is the goto basher so that is also not fit for display and the

dual hunter is in pretty good condition but the body i suspect was painted with TS rather than PS paint by the previous owner (i had the same on my bush devil).

would live a collection of the classics, the falcon build from new old parts is slow, but have 2 original bodies & decals and 2 sets of the front arms and some small shockers...

Very addictive indeed. Since my return to RC about 2 1/2 years ago, my collection has grown to 20 cars...and counting!

Hey, it could be worse. Like my wife says, at least you have something to show for your spent money, and you're not throwing your money away at bars and pubs. :)

I am on a 'low' RC level at the moment, not really used them for ages (doesnt help the local park is full of dog waste!) but right behind the times nowadays, still using brushed and nimh batteries!

I don't display my runners, so they usually end up where there is room. That includes floor, garage, top of furniture, etc.

The tc member who displays his cars with clear bodies is tamiyaera I think

My display ones are all vintage and getting bits for them can be very expensive so, they are living out their retirement years on the shelf.

the runners are in cupboards and under the bed.

All my models are on display, but they are all runners too. Some just get run more gently/less often than others, and for those that see hard use, I have a running shell and a display shell, so they look neat on the shelf, but I don't need to hold back when driving them.

I display them on 2 sets of wooden shelves that I bought from The Range. The shelves seem designed for Tamiyas, being just wide enough for a 1/10 buggy to fit on, and just long enough for two touring cars to park end-to-end. With 2 cars per shelf, 5 shelves per unit, and 2 units, I can display 20 cars. My wife has a similar set of shelves next to mine, on which she displays her cars and boat.

The cars that see regular use sit straight on the shelf, but those that are run more seldom sit on transparent plastic stands placed under the chassis. This lifts the weight of the car off its tyres, so they don't develop flat spots.

All of my cars are runners, for the most-part anyway. My Hotshot very rarely gets used, the rest of them get used plenty. I ran out of room (sound familiar?) on the shelf portion of my workbench where I keep my cars, so I have been making additions to it to make space for more cars. It isn't the prettiest, but here is where I store and work on my cars:

SAM_1915_zpscab724fe.jpg

SAM_1919_zpse12af075.jpg

Here is a couple of shots of my cars at their favorite playgrounds too :)

SAM_1865_zps897d1102.jpg

SAM_1911_zps7a6bd953.jpg

• Like 2

I use cheap DIY shelving systems and add them together for runners and display cars.

P3290074_zpse8c680d3.jpg

• Like 3

My cars are stored in Ikea IVAR shelves. There are two widths (42cm and 83cm) and two depths (30 and 50cm) available. The height is variable, too (124cm, 179cm, 226cm). They come with a unprepared surface and can be painted in what ever colour or stain you like.

There are some accessories like cabinets and corner units, and it's easy to add more elements once your collection grows. I have added roller blinds to some of the units. They are good for hiding all the boxes with small stuff or cars that are not good enough looking for display. This gives the shelve a nice and clean look.

IVAR system:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/11703/

I too have a dedicated man cave but I am not that organised so only some are on "display" (meaning up off the bench!)

2014-03-21%2020.17.43.jpg

Thanks - its a TXT-2 Agrios with clone TXT-1 wheels and a Parma GD shell - it has an insane 6.5t brushless in it :) My favourite runner by far! No shelf is big enough to take it though!

Nice grave digger

Indeed! That Lunchie looks about 1/24 in comparison ha ha!

I'm in the process of revamping my display shelves. I should be doine in about a week

93BC1386-9636-42BE-9846-780177CB6488_zpsC9B9253A-6126-4718-97D9-C8AE432BA017_zps

• Like 1