jkyamog

GF01 Build, for my daughter

My daughter since she was 2 she kept on reaching for the cars. At that time her older brother built his first RC a Hornet. Now she older, she wanted her own. A FJ40 Land Cruiser GF01.

The build uses AW grease for the diff. Yellow CVA shocks. I also put in some polystyrene to hopefully prolong the body.

I am trying out g+ stories. Click here for the build story.

Some videos of it running.

DSC03785.JPG

DSC04780.JPG

• Like 3

Looks like it turned out well. Nice to see the younger generation getting involved in the build, rather than getting Dad to do it all.

Looks like it turned out well. Nice to see the younger generation getting involved in the build, rather than getting Dad to do it all.

Yes it was fun. The kids come and go, lots of other stuff for them to play with, especially the digital things. For me the RCs are my escape from the digital stuff. I still do most stuff, but they do help in clean up.

I would imagine after a few years, I will be left with cars, photos and memories.

Absolutely great! This thread deserves a lot more attention! :)

Thanks, very kind words.

Nice comic book type format used by google + , great to see another gf01!

That's great. Mine enjoy going for a bash, but they don't really want to get too involved in anything else. My eldest wanted to help me sand off the flash lines on a mad bull shell the other day, lasted about 60 seconds! Still, it's the thought that counts and it's something. I think they probably think I'm a nutter for spending about 18 hours on a Bruiser build!

How is the GF01 holding up? How old was your daughter when you got this for her? My youngest was 6 when he got his Mad Bull, my eldest got his a little after the youngest, he was 7 and I got him an ebay Dual Hunter in mint condition. As XV says, nice to see the younger generation expressing some interest. My friend has just done a Hotshot build for his 7 year old son.

Cheers

Nito

• Like 1

The GF01 is holding up well. Only servo saver needs tightening sometimes. We had for almost a year. My son's df02 is more than 5 years old and it's still running well. My daughter is similar age as yours. My son did a hornet a few years ago, he is doing a hot shot now. But too many distractions not sure when it will get finished. I do still run the cars from time to time, but I am mainly working on quadcopters lately.

I was going to say, is that how you filmed the video? Is that using a quad copter and go pro or similar.

I was going to say, is that how you filmed the video? Is that using a quad copter and go pro or similar.

Yes I used a quadcopter. I don't use a go pro, they are a bit expensive. I use $70 cameras, one is a mobius and the other is a sj4000. Some of my videos

They are similar to the RC. Nice to build, more stuff going on. There is also a quick benefit of filming my kids from above.

There is also a quick benefit of filming my kids from above.

Yeah, that;s really cool...****, something else to put on the want list!!

That's great! I was just researching what would be a good R/C car for my daughter and keep coming back to the Toyota GF01. She's actually been doing really well with my Kyosho Blizzard, though during a brief unsupervised period she crashed it and broke one of the plow arms. So this looks like the ticket- it seems to be able to handle grass with no problem, and has a "cute" cartoonish look to it as well. My plan is to build her a Disney "Frozen" edition, so it would have a light blue, pink, and white body, topped off with some relevant stickers. However, the included black wheels would really look awful with what I'm trying to do, and painting them white really isn't an option as that will just flake off. The ones you have look perfect! Which ones are they (P/N, brand?) and how big are the stock wheels? I saw where some people put wr01 wheels on their gf01, but I'm not sure how that's possible as the back and front rims have totally different hole sizes. The wr01 tires also look to be smaller diameter, though that might be my imagination.

Sorry for the late reply. My rims are stadium blitzer rims. The tires is some real old classic tires, my neighbor used to own a hobby shop decades ago and this came from his stash.

Glad your kid is liking the hobby too.

Some more gf01 fun