Axeboy

59592 Rock Socker Build

Very nice looks good in green how slow do scalers move never seen one moving just seen them in pictures

Great build thread Axeboy. I've been eyeing these since the price was announced and it seems well worth the money.

Have a few questions about the kit if you don't mind. Are there any tyre foams included? Did it come with an ESC as standard and if so what version was it. Also what kind of speed do you get from the silvercan?

Edit: One more question. Is the standard motor mount able to take other pinion sizes?

• Like 1

Just took a quick movie for those wanting an idea of speed/turning etc.

No rocks here I'm afraid, not yet anyway :)

And thanks for the comments, especially the Scotsman ones :P

Rock Socker Garden Run

Yeah, foams come with the kit.

No ESC included, I used a £6 hobbyking special :) works fine to be fair

Speed as per quick clip above :)

The motor plate seems suitable to take a range of pinions yep

Great build thread Axeboy. I've been eyeing these since the price was announced and it seems well worth the money.

Have a few questions about the kit if you don't mind. Are there any tyre foams included? Did it come with an ESC as standard and if so what version was it. Also what kind of speed do you get from the silvercan?

Edit: One more question. Is the standard motor mount able to take other pinion sizes?

Painting was terrible but nothing like some stickers to sort it out.

All done.

Few things I noted:

1. The bearings needed as per above, not easy to understand but frist seems to have solved the right kit

The set of bearings from Stella was short of 4 1050 bearings. Don't know if I got a faulty shipment (didn't count them before installing...) or if the set just isn't correct. Stella will send the missing bearings free of charge. Good enough for me.

Built my Socker in two days and ran it today. It's really a fun car with the cr tuned motor installed. Even managed to do some wheelies ;)

• Like 1

The set of bearings from Stella was short of 4 1050 bearings. Don't know if I got a faulty shipment (didn't count them before installing...) or if the set just isn't correct. Stella will send the missing bearings free of charge. Good enough for me. Built my Socker in two days and ran it today. It's really a fun car with the cr tuned motor installed. Even managed to do some wheelies ;)

How many bearing in total did you get from Stella?

Thanks

Their kit is supposed to be 20 pcs. Unfortunately I didn't count them before starting the build, I was a bit to eager to start building the thing. So really can't tell if my shipment was faulty or if it's a general flaw. It specifically says that their kit is to fully ball race the Socker.

Ps. Will count the leftover metal bearings later on to see how many it really needs.

There are 24 metal bearings left (incl the ones I needed to fit). I see now on Stella that they've changed the kit to contain 24 bearings now. As it should've been from the start. Had to double check the invoice for this and it states 20 pcs when I ordered mine...

Awesome, this is my next kit I hope a good price from Stella to, better than I hoped.

Do you think it will be still an ok crawler and a race truck?

Crawler AND race truck? Not at the same time surely :)

Actually that's a point, how easy is it to access the motor and swap it once built? I can swap the motor on my Axial Wraith and have it running in about 10mins. With easy motor access you can have the best of both!

The CR-01 was originally designed for crawling and nothing has changed from other CR-01 models on the Rock Socker bar the body and wheels. Despite the looks its no more a 'rock racer' than the unimog , bronco or landcruiser versions.

Motor change wouldn't be too arduous - disconnect prop shafts, unscrew the four 3x15mm screws securing the skid plate and motor/transmission, drop out the bottom, change motor, reinstall. - 15 minutes ?

Crawler AND race truck? Not at the same time surely :)

Actually that's a point, how easy is it to access the motor and swap it once built? I can swap the motor on my Axial Wraith and have it running in about 10mins. With easy motor access you can have the best of both!

Lol no not at same time, I suspect I would be better off with a unimog as want to get something to do some slow stuff in garden etc.

Is wheel base same to?