ChrisRx718

Now for something a bit smaller...

A few weeks ago my work colleague bought a HPI Mini Recon. It's a 1/18 scale short-course-truck with 4WD and let me be frank - this thing is amazing. I never really got on with HPI in the past, but the quality and the driveability of this thing is immense!

2.4gHz system, RTR, straight out of the box fun. Then there's me, recently sold my DF03, have an FAV which I run but treasure too much to make it any faster (currently running 27T Dirt Tuned and low-geared!) and I've recently put my TL01B's up for sale as I think I've had my fill of using these chassis (and replacing the chassis halves when they get the inevitable cracks!!).

That leaves my other beater, a strange combination of Wild Dagger parts converted to RWD with brushless and Wild Willy II wheels (yes, it's hilarious fun) and this thing is pretty big - you need a lot more space to exploit it.

Years ago Tamiya released the TamTech range of buggies (GB01's) and I remember selling these while working at Time Tunnel Models. I thought they were great (Neil was less convinced, for what they cost) and they sold quite slowly. I also seem to remember the hardware being a completely different gauge from the M3 stnadard of the 1/10 Tamiyas, rendering lots of my current spares hopeless?

Nevertheless, I'm looking to get a small, point-and-sqiurt buggy / SCT which won't be completely embarassed by the HPI my boss has. The obvious answer (and I haven't ruled this out yet) is to just get the same truck and convert it to brushless (hopefully they did more than the one colour, although if they did it's not obvious!).

It's got to be small, tough and fast enough to keep up with this thing. Is the TamTech route a non-starter? What would you recommend instead?

I love the look of the Team Associated RC18T2, but when you consider the HPI cost less than £90 RTR, spending almost double this kind of defeats the point. I want it to be around this price point because I don't want to be scared to use it / jump it.

Help!

Here's a pic of "the competition" as it were -

hpi-mini-recon.jpg

I was going to get one of those for my nephew at one point, but the ball diffs put me off. There is a chinese version as well, I forget the name.

If you want to be cheap, I would entertain one of those 1/18 Heng Long Sacker things

and if you and looking at a rc18 I would seriously look at the Losi mini 8ight, we havd an indoor club here set up in a hall and those little Losi's trump anything small including the RC18's, so much that it is pretty much now a one make class.

I have a team associated sc18 brushless. I like vehicles that are more realistic to scale, versus the super oversized suspension and wheels. The brushless set up is surprisingly fast and that with a lipo battery, it will run for 30min. The only real downside is that it doesn't do well on longer grass or rough roads. And by longer grass, I'm taking you just cut it yesterday. So it's better on smooth surfaces or short carpet. Wood and tiles are ok, but it will slide and burnout constantly with the brushless setup. Fun to chase the dog around the house.

Why not try and score a Hotbodies Minizilla, which is exactly the same car that HPI sortoff recycled a few years after the Hotbodies. The Hotbodies never sold very well but it was a nice little truck and GPM made a bunch of hopups for it. You might be able to find a secondhand one cheap.

Where are you from? As I also have a complete LRP 1/16th buggy hobby for sale that I can't seem to get rid off for some reason even though the cars are superb and it includes a Tekin brushless set... I just to run it with Tamiya M-chassis wheels vs. my old TamTech Hornet.

I'm in the uk.

The Hotbodies sounds cool, but seems rare like you suggested.

Also just come across the Traxxas E-Revo 1/16. How would that compare with the Turnigy buggy?

The Traxxas is huge in comparison. Their idea of 1/16 is everybody else's idea of 1/10!! They are fantastic vehicles though and hugely capable.

For something comparable to the HPI then the AE RC18 is your best bet from another manufacturer. I used to race against one of these and they handle superbly with lots of hop ups available. The TamTechs are some of my favourite Tamiya chassis. I raced one for years but, they are two wheel drive with the exception of the Hotshot which has a complicated drivetrain compared to the HPI. The TamTechs are also slightly larger being 1/16 to the HPI 1/18.

If you are looking for something to sit side by side with the HPI and have some fun races, either the AE or another HPI would be my choices. JMO of course. :)

Must admit the Traxxas does look big going by the wheels!

I'm sorely tempted by that Turnigy though, could get it running for less than £50 if I used my existing radio. There seems to be conflicting stories online about whether it's a ripoff of a Kyosho Mini Inferno or Losi Mini 8

Take a look at the Maverick ion series of 1/18's. Same running gear as the mini recon but 10 quid less. Maverick being a part of HPI.

Thanks for all your help and opinions guys, did my own research on the Turnigy buggy and it's basically a Kyosho Mini Inferno - with electrics for less than £50. Two 1700mah Lipos to go with it for less than a tenner the pair. Can't really grumble at that price, there's certainly nothing which comes close (brand new anyway).

Only concerns are the exposed spur/pinion and parts availability, most of which resolved with using the Mini Inferno parts catalogue and Asiatees.

Just wondering if the Mini Inferno spur gear fits. Now to wait (im)patiently!

Well I bit the bullet, this should arrive in the next couple of days.

Will give a full write-up on what it's like in case anyone else was considering it.

• Like 1

Like igbandy, I was going to suggest the Maverick ION as a 1/18th alternative to the Mini Recon, as I looked at both before deciding on the Mini Recon as it has a separate 3ch receiver, rather than integrated with the speed controller like the ION - there are also a number of other differences, but fundamentally the dimensions are approximately the same...

Oh, and in case you ever get bored of razzing it around in 1/18th size, it also happens to be the perfect wheelbase and width for the Wild Willy shell too...

P1040314_zpscb995c19.jpg

Jx

So I was checking this thing over today to make sure all the screws were tight before its' first outing and whilst they were fine, they're all a cross-head pattern.

I was keen to see what spares I had in terms of socket screws but realised that the majority of screws in the chassis are actually M2.6 thread!

2.6 is a pain, as there isn't much out there.

Do we think that an M2.5 screw will suffice, provided I use some threadlock?

I remember this same problem with the TamTechs and certain hop up parts being different size. Bear in mind I was racing but I found the undersized screws just wouldn't stay put. Might be different if you are just having a gentle fun run though.

In the end I found the majority of the sizes I needed in Ti from 3Racing, so that's a relief!

Took it out for its first run this afternoon and the spur gear hasn't even lasted one whole battery pack! I read about the issues with them not being well aligned from the factory but thought I had corrected it :(

Fortunately there's someone on the Hobbyking forums who makes a steel spur.

What's the deal with the chassis design where the spur is exposed on the underside of the chassis? Is it worth me fabricating some kind of 'spur guard' to try to protect it from dirt ingress or is this just likely to become a trap for the dirt?

It depends on the surface you drive on I think. It might become a trap if you run on a surface with not that much sand, pebbels and other dirt that might harm your spurgear. If you drive on a gravelpath for example, closing it up might be wise as you will be picking up a lot of dirt through the hole. If you cover the hole in the chassis, make sure it is also covered from above, by making the body seal the chassis like you would on a TopForce or Dynastorm (to stay in Tamiya terms).

Update time!

21E874BF-779B-465B-ADEC-74E38FC56828.jpg

As described above, I've managed to put this thing out of action already from just 2/3rds of a 1700 Lipo pack!

It was mighty fun though and incredibly fast. To be honest I'll still use it as it works OK, it just sounds like a petrol lawnmower (not good for an electric buggy!).

So since the break I've ordered a steel spur gear from a chap in Belarus who makes them himself, not exactly sure how long to expect delivery to take. I also looked at the spares from HobbyKing as they're incredibly tempting price-wise. I caved when my Baja Kings sold on eBay and took a punt on the following -

Carbon upper chassis plate - £8.09

Aluminium stabiliser back-plate - £0.45

Replacement 15T pinions (2 pack) - £1.24

Replacement nylon spur gear - £0.49 x 2

Aluminium front shock tower - £1.28

Aluminium rear shock tower - £1.68

Carbon battery plate - £4.00

Total: £17.72

None of those are typo's - they really are that cheap. The only frivilous item is the carbon battery brace, as I wanted it to look good against the carbon upper plate. Speaking of which, this item flexes so much that it puts the driveline out of alignment - something which I'm not ruling out as a cause to the knackered spur gear.

C16011D6-FD56-4C34-93E8-A01F2ED7C5B3.jpg

Also ordered-

3Racing universal front swing shaft (having issues with the dogbone popping out) - £6.86

Mini Inferno motor heat sink - £2.76

I've also bought a lot of titanium M2.6 screws to replace the horrible cheese-like screws supplied with the car (see above!) these came to about £12 but I'll have lots of spares (official Kyosho Ti set for the Mini Inferno retails at some £53!!).

Steel Spur gear from eBay - £10.03

Steel Spur holder / support from eBay - £6.91

840-sized bearing for the above item again on eBay - £1.59

Total: £40.15

I've added some velcro to the flat sides of the tub in an effort to stop some of the debris getting in, not sure how successful this will be.

The HK3100 reciever is the ideal size for this buggy too, sitting directly above the servo. I already had this but if you included it in what it cost to get the car running then that's an additional £9.14

62E17912-AC41-4AAD-9840-C2305EFE4F50.jpg

Total costs:

Turnigy 1/16 Racing Buggy - £45.79

HK3100 2.4gHz Receiver - £9.14

2 x Turnigy 1700 2S LiPo - £9.50 (£4.75ea)

XT-60 Battery adapter - £0.85

Low-voltage alarm (ESC has cutoff anyway) - £1.34

Carbon upper chassis plate - £8.09

Aluminium stabiliser back-plate - £0.45

Replacement 15T pinions (2 pack) - £1.24

Replacement nylon spur gear - £0.49 x 2

Aluminium front shock tower - £1.28

Aluminium rear shock tower - £1.68

Carbon battery plate - £4.00

Racing universal front swing shaft - £6.86

Mini Inferno motor heat sink - £2.76

Titanium hardware replacements - £12

Steel Spur gear from eBay - £10.03

Steel Spur holder / support from eBay - £6.91

840-sized bearing for the above item again on eBay - £1.59

Total : £124.49

Money made from selling 2x Baja Kings = £119.50

Overall 'cost' £4.99

Slightly over budget, but discounting the items I sold to make room for this buggy I've done alright! It's hilarious fun too, I just hope the upgrades make it last a bit longer.

One of the things I miss the most about smaller scale is the costs. Sometimes difficult to justify the prices of 1:10 when you see what it is one size down!!

Throw it in the bin and never buy a turnigy rc car again... I satarted with turnigy and nearly quit the hobby before finding tamiya. They ae all rubbish and made of cheese.

My Boss told me it's ok for me to keep an RC car on my desk \o/ so am on the look out for a 1/18 scale short course truck. I also like the more scale looking pieces - and found this: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/torment-1-18th-4wd-short-course-truck-rtr-ECX01001#t2

Good/Bad?. I know it's brushed, but it's for running into people in the office, not spending hours bashing. (also, the brushed part can be rectified if needs be)

Throw it in the bin and never buy a turnigy rc car again... I satarted with turnigy and nearly quit the hobby before finding tamiya. They ae all rubbish and made of cheese.

Oh :(

Sorry that you feel that way. The buggy certainly has its' quality issues, but for the money I think a lot of that can be overlooked. Especially once the 'problem areas' have been addressed (cheese screws, pinion/spur issue). It's a ****-site quicker and just as robust as my bosses HPI which was the criteria for the car. Hop-ups for the Kyosho Mini Inferno are also compatible on the whole, so there's a whole bunch of parts which could be upgraded if requried. I'm learning along the way too, as this is my first ever non-Tamiya (excluding my old Nitro Evader!).

My Boss told me it's ok for me to keep an RC car on my desk \o/ so am on the look out for a 1/18 scale short course truck. I also like the more scale looking pieces - and found this: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/torment-1-18th-4wd-short-course-truck-rtr-ECX01001#t2

Good/Bad?. I know it's brushed, but it's for running into people in the office, not spending hours bashing. (also, the brushed part can be rectified if needs be)

That looks good to be fair, similar to the Stadium Truck that Turnigy offer on the same chassis design as the buggy I have purchased.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24313__Turnigy_1_16_4x4_Mini_Trooper_SCT_ARR_.html

That almost looks a slightly better proposition since it has a bit more front/rear protection and the fiberglass reinforced chassis / upper plate. This reduces flex in the chassis and keeps the mesh between the pinion and spur level, the problem I'm experiencing with mine.

I had 6 turnigy cars and gave them all away ... Good luck .. But I would have got a losi mini ...