BigSteve

Change Of Opinion Vintage To Modern.

Hi all just thought I'd share a change of perspective I've seemed to have over the last couple of months. I returned to this hobby a couple of years ago when I bought a vintage grasshopper that needed a little bit of a restoration. Now being a child of the eighties I can remember walking around my local beatties store in Cardiff and being in awe of all those Tamiya model rc's I could only dream of owning.

I think this is why on my return to the hobby I only looked at vintage or vintage re re's. That and my 1985 Tamiya rc catalogue lol. I didn't give anything moderna second thought dismissing them as not true Tamiya. When the re re Egress was released I was looking for a new runner and didn't fancy paying in excess of £300 for a vintage designed runner. A friend of mine sent me a link of a DF-03MS and I instantly liked it plus £140 shipped from Banzai helped make the decision. Until it arrived the most complex build I had undertaken was a Hotshot boy was I in for a shock with ball diffs and all. I enjoyed the build and I enjoyed the running of it even more. I've now added a neo scorcher and a dt-03 to my modern runners stable and have enjoyed the numerous hop ups and bashing of them with my vintage models enjoying a more gentle run now and again.

I haven't turned my back on the vintage Tamiya and I never will but from a running point of view with the better designs, hop ups and the ability to handle a lot hotter motors the modern Tamiya's have well and truly won me over even though the 80's Tamiya's still look the best lol.

Just wondering if anyone else here has gone through the same transition.

Steve.

I do have some modern cars in my stable, its not that I dont like them, but I really like the vintage ones from Tamiya and Kyosho. My modern cars are a Kyosho Lazer ZX-5, a seriously modded Axial Scorpion and also a Tamiya M06 (if you call that ''modern''). Also had a Traxxas Rustler VXL that I sold on, I think I prefer my runners slow and handicapped :D

Steve

I am the same!!

I bought a Hornet re re in 2006......then a Novafox last year.....and since then I have gone on to buy many more designs ...old and new

My vintage runners are my Hornet, my Novafox, My Thundershot and my Falcon.

The rest of my runners are relatively modern.....DT02s mostly......

I love the DT-03 and the TT-02B......plus I have many NIB DF-02s in my collection which I will build eventually.

I will always drive my more modern runners harder than my vintage stuff. My Falcon in particular which I haven't run yet will always be run gently on nice surfaces. My Novafox and TShot are the same.....No way will I go balls-out on any surface with those as I love them too much.....and what is the point when I have a camo DT-02 Viper to do that with.......plus others!

Some of my cars will be shelf queens......some will remain as NIBs.....others will be runners....and of those runners......some will be driven very hard....and others will be driven very gently.

Horses for courses......I do appreciate the older designs....and enjoy poodling them about to preserve their gorgeousness.

Whereas give me my DT-03 and a massive jump.....and I will be there with a big smile on my face lol :wub:

The bulk of my collection is vintage and like the original poster I don't give modern Tamiya's too much attention. I thought my collection was done until I saw the Carrera RSR and Cascadia semi. I got the Carreras, just waiting to save up enough coin for a Cascadia.

I went almost the exact opposite way, starting out with the F103 before ending up with an Audi Quattro...

Nonetheless. I was very impressed by the Neo Scorcher I helped my cousin build, and fancied one myself for a while. Were it not for the lack of Wild Willy, nitro cars, JGTC touring cars, and large-wheeled trucks in my collection, I would have certainly picked one up.

I am under the impression that Tamiya's newer chassis are solid acquisitions, with a few poor design choices or gripe-worthy cues keeping them grounded, but on the whole being reasonable performers.

Well, I've been going out every Sunday morning the last months with RC vintage cars. As a result, after breaking some parts, I am sold I need to get a modern car. I mean, for me it's been like going out every Sunday to run enduro with a 1969 motorcycle. I'm in hopes to find some cheap Wheely King for bashing cause I can't stand the thought of scratching the cars that have taken me so much time to find and restore. I'll still be running the classics, though, but not hard, and not all the time.

I have kind of been the way around. Started in the 80's with my first Tamiyas, had a long break, and entered the hobby again in the begining of the 2000's buying a Blitzer Beetle. From there I have had lot's of cars, and especially spend a decade building custom E-maxx's, with the wildest and most crazy hopups available, and have build a lot of other cars from nearly every brand, that are out there. But now I am back to primarely Tamiya. It is mostly because I love to build them, it has always been like that, so most cars I have sold were newbuilt. When I do decide to run my cars, it is only the rere's. I have had the intention of building me a new E-maxx I can bash around many times, but also know that I will end up with a 3000$ car, that I won't dare to run. This is kind of where my Clod Buster also have ended. Had the intention of building a fullblown race Clod, and so I did, but now it has only been driven gently on hard surfaces since :o

Driving the rere's gives me that old feeling, from back when I started, so it kind of suit my need. Sometimes it is fun to have a car that can blow over a field with 80 km/h thoug, but with me being a upgrading freak, it ussually only gets too expensive!

Only modern Tamiya I have is a CC-01, and it is for sale :)

Even though many of the modern cars are great, there's a short circuit in my brain that would rather do mad modifications on the older designs to see how much the driving characteristic can be improved.

^_^

The perfect collector should be like Jay Leno, ( except he has much much deeper pocket than everyone here at TC), he tinkers with the vintage and welcomes the new state of the art models.

You see at my age, a 3.5T programerable brushless motor or some teflon coated 105mm shocks with a functional piggy back reservior is great, but i know my reflects, driving skills, hand eye co-ordination well never be able to max out its potential, but knowing i have the baddest, nastiest parts available in the market will just make me happpy. I like the vintage stuff because the design is from the heart and sole.

I would love to have an original Jag E type for weekends, but for daily use an E type with a chevy small block, abs, 4 wheels dic, AC, traction control, you know what i mean.

I have mostly vintage, then i thought i would give the modern stuff ago. So i had a tt01 drift and a tt01e they were fun but didn't really do it for me.

then i got a trf201, that was a great build a lot more complicated than i was expecting for a 2wd. Still to decide on a motor for it. I would definitely recommend a trf even just for the build.

I race with modern rc cars (team C TM2 V2, Losi 22, M06, m05), and play fun with vintage Tamiya (manta ray, lunchbox)

modern rc is brilliant, they 'sorted' suspension problem of 80's

Even I modified my lunchbox with double wishbones, and it drove great. much better than stock.

Got back into the hobby with a modern day Losi and although I realy appreciate brushless motors, Lipos and ghz transmitters, modern race cars seem so perfect and refined, so I lost interest very quickly again. So I got some old Tamiya and rediscovered the fun of building, modding, etc :)

Also on modern rc car. there is more setup option to play with, you really can refine the way it drove.

We have found that the Re re cars in general to be much stronger then the originals ( Except Dyna Storm).

Our Hot Shots & Super Hot Shots to be very tough running 12 & 13t brushless combo's all day with no problems. Again with the Nova Fox & Avante.

We do like the modern cars too like the DT02 & 03 cars. The Neo Scorcher is another great car for bang for your buck but has a few drive line problems which can be over come.

I own both, drive both and enjoy both. I find they complement each other. The classics are interesting to see in action, and are enjoyable to run for their nostalgia value. Plus, they make the new cars feel all the faster by comparison. The new cars are quick, tough and agile, and give a sense of how far the hobby has progressed over the past few decades.

I have a few DT-02s now and I do like it - I also like the new DT-03.....simple.....big footprint.....great handling.....

I have read people slagging off the TT-02B but I really love it.....and the DF-02 seems good too...although very similar to the TT-02B

Each chassis design has its' flaws......I try and appreciate each one for what it is......A Grasshopper is a very basic design.....with a fixed rear axle that is guaranteed to cause problems.....but I still love it for what it is.

For me it is about exploring the characteristics and the limitations of each car.....be it a good car or a bad car......

If a good looking car handles badly.....I would still enjoy driving it.....ideosyncracies add character!!! IMO

Yea, I feel the same way.

I have a few vintage cars and I love the unique and individual designs but the new Tamiya's especially the TRF cars are just

in another league. It's great to have both to appreciate the evolution of RC.

vintage stuff has its own appeal and modern stuff has its own appeal and the attraction will be by quality and design. In the end, price has a direction relationship to ones appeal.