Sign in to follow this  
markbt73

I think I might be done with re-releases

So I've been "this close" to pre-ordering a Kyosho Scorpion for a couple months now. And in that time I've also been tempted by a Nova Fox, and thought seriously about a Wild One. But none of them seem worth the money.

I just finished a Wild Willy 2 build, and I have a new M05 chassis sitting there with a VW Golf body waiting for paint, and I've just lost almost all interest in it. Instead, I find myself endlessly tinkering with a box of Associated RC10T parts that I bought recently, trying to see how many complete chassis I can make. And I also have 4 or 5 other 70-90% complete wrecks that would be fun to finish up. I'd rather find parts for them.

Maybe it's just for now, but a brand-new box of shiny parts just holds very little interest for me. But I daydream about going to a garage sale and finding a dusty box of trashed RC cars sitting under a table with a sticker on it that says "$10." Building a new model, even if it's a cool old design, just isn't worth $200 to me any more.

It's irritating that I should come to this realization just as Kyosho gets into the re-re game, but it isn't MY fault they waited so long...

I love the thrill of the chase when rebuilding an old wreck. I do enjoy building new sets but I love taking unloved used cars and giving them a new lease of life. I find that much more satisfying :)

I am the same, seriously thought about an egress. But ended up with a top force and dyna storm for the same money. And i am glad i did, now i have 2 more 90's classic's on my shelf.

I too love the stripping down, cleaning and search for parts before a rebuild. But the modern kits are good value from some sellers, and they are a lot less hassle to build with all those nice clean parts.

It's nice to be able to mix n match. There's more thrill from a rebuild but new kits are easy to make progress

Other than a hilift I bought earlier this year because the price was too good to leave it, I haven't bought a new kit for getting on for 2 or 3 years. I think the last one before that was a Jagdpanther in 2011. Most of my time is spent in scratch building models, or modifying my existing ones. Most of the 'old' cars I've already owned and sold on, or see too many design issues in them to want to own them, and I now prefer to go my own way with what I build. It does take around 2 years to get a scratch bulilt model right though, so it's definitely not for everyone.

I still buy most vintage offroad re-res from Tamiya and original vintage wrecks that have yet to be re-re'ed as well. Both hold interest to me but for different reasons.

For example, I just finished stripping down a Madcap (third of four very well used models) and cleaned all of the parts today and I have two Kyosho Scorpion 2014s on order.

The only thing that will slow me down is lack of storage space. It's really starting to become a problem.

I have ordered the Scorpion, still have a SS and a RR to build, they are the only new kits I have bought the last few years.

I'm also getting to the point of not enough room for them all and am considering letting quite a few go, let someone else enjoy them.

Also have a lot of parts I need to start selling, am coming to the realization that I can't restore everything I want to.

Getting old I guess :blink:

Nothing beats the thrill of finding that poor old RC and bringing it back to life, the rebuild, the hunt for parts, and finally the pride in looking how you brought the wreck back to life

• Like 1

I just picked up an Scorpion re-re, so I'm still buying re-releases selectively even with limitations on space. I think Kyosho has really raised the bar on re-releases, so anything less than a 959 @ US$250 from Tamiya will just not impress! :lol:

I currently have a Mini Mustang in bits on my desk, and hunting parts for that is a multi-year project. :blink:

I had a scorpion lined up that needed restoring, I have been thinking about taking it for a couple of months, unfortunately as soon as I heard it was being re-released I turned it down :(

I would probably never say never, but apart from the thought of maybe buying a super clod (as I have never built a clod from new) and I have also considered a 959 if it was re released, (would prefer an original) only because I had one as a kid, I don't think there is anything left to re-release that I would desire.

I would still rather buy a NIB Chevy clod though, and save it for 10-20 years, then savour the build :)

10-20 years ago we are like a kid standing outside a candy store, looking in and wishing if I could only have a piece of that candy and that candy would be great; :rolleyes:

Few years ago, we are now the big kid standing inside the candy store with all you can eat sign posted everywhere; :) and

Now, we are the fat kid still inside the candy store and thinking, better pace myself as there is no way I can continue to eat everything insight :o .

And i am now one fat kid with man size love handles and haven't seen my toes for ages.

• Like 4

I think Im done with the hobby on the hole. Ill maintain what I have but no more new purchases. The Bruiser Rere was my last and a good one to end with. I just got into RC helicopters which is expensive in thier own right. I also collect military fire arms, currently restoring a 1989 Porsche 930, and moding my 2012 Mustang GT. Combine that with two awesome little kids and a great stay at home wife, something has to give and this hobby is. Enjoy guys! If they release a rere Astute that might have to be purchased other than that Im out.

My problem is, everything appeals to me :blink:

I've jumped from Tamiya to Kyosho to AE to Yokomo to AYK and probably more if I think hard enough.

Almost all vintage, don't really care for the newer stuff, did have to get a couple of the 1/5 HPI's.

It's an addiction and I like it :)

• Like 2

If they release a rere Astute that might have to be purchased other than that Im out.

I read that as a "real Astute"... That would be something!

Best of luck with your other hobbies, sir!

...well, that didn't last long... ordered a re-re Scorpion today. It just seems like too "nice" of a kit to pass up. And I'll never ever be able to afford another AYK 566B like I had back in the 80s, so a re-Scorp is a good substitute.

Maybe what I'm really tired of is threading self-tapping screws into plastic...

• Like 4

Maybe what I'm really tired of is threading self-tapping screws into plastic...

Bring out the silicone grease!

... My personal favourite is the ball differential variety - I have lots of it :D