Gosling

Lunchbox - Advice for a new member

Good afternoon all,

I was bought a 2nd hand LB at the age of 12 and immediately loved it, I bought my new LB about 10 years ago, when I purchased it I didn't get round to finishing it.

Yesterday I picked it up from my parents where it has been in the loft for the past 9 years and am looking forward to dusting it off and updating it.

I am only looking to have fun - no serious racing, so would love some advice on what the most beneficial upgrades are? I would ultimately like more speed and to improve the shocks/handling. I'm not looking to go mad, so a budget of around £60-£80 is what I have set myself.

Finally, I bought the battery about 10 years ago and it was the best one I could get at the time, have they advanced much in the past decade?

Thanks in advance

I would put bearings in including gearbox, oil filled shocks including 3rd shock mod and FX10 double wishbone conversion.. that all you need.

Upgrade to ball bearings

Upgrade to oil filled shocks

Install fifth shock

After that

Sport tuned motor

Tyre foams

• Like 1

+1 all oft the above

And reinforce the Front shock Towers with a brace + center the servo.

Upgrade to ball bearings

Upgrade to oil filled shocks

Install fifth shock

After that

Sport tuned motor

Tyre foams

What kind of foams/inserts do you use?

What kind of foams/inserts do you use?

These

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/pro-line-dual-inserts-pair/rc-car-products/31994

May be cheaper elsewhere?

Sport Tuned motor... http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control/motors-brushless-motors-esc/tamiya-motors-esc/rc-rs540-sport-tuned-motor-u53068

For oil filled shocks then some here have used Ansmann and Absima variants (modelsport) or you could use Tamiya 84347 or 84365 (availbale from various overseas sellers on ebay for ca £13 delivered for the set of 4 including oil (you use your current springs from the pogo shocks)

Thanks everyone. I'll start working on it this weekend. I'll upload some progress pics along the way.

Thanks, and i thought i was crazy to put foams in these tyres.

They are actually one of the better upgrades, especially after you fit oil filled shocks

- the extra resistance in the tyre wall ensures the dampers have something to work against

- the foam helps prevent the tyre wall folding when cornering

- the tyre holds its shape for more consistent traction, and less roll overs

After the bearings, oil shocks and 5th shock mod, I'm with vrooom666 - the FX10 double wishbones at the front, along with the front strut brace make it a far better (but still fun) handling vehicle. I tried brushless power, but it was too much, a sports tuned is ample.

I also went all waterproof with mine too so that I could run it in the snow (and it hasn't snowed since.......)

I have a complete Blitzer Beetle frontend (needed the chassis for FrankenBeetle). Wondering if some of the parts could be used on the Lunchbox instead of purchasing the CRP kit.

The beauty of the CRP kit is that the arms fit in the pivot points that the Lunchbox chassis has with only minimal trimming. If you can find a way of fixing the beetle pieces, then everything else should be relatively similar to mod (ie finding a mounting point on the chassis for the top arm and the shocks on the wishbones).

The beauty of the CRP kit is that the arms fit in the pivot points that the Lunchbox chassis has with only minimal trimming. If you can find a way of fixing the beetle pieces, then everything else should be relatively similar to mod (ie finding a mounting point on the chassis for the top arm and the shocks on the wishbones).

The BB conversion will definitely take some engineering. CRP parts it is then (-: Thanks!

Somebody on TC posted some cool selfdesignd(3D printing) front arms that should fit the LB too and they looked much better than the CRP

Sorry older thread but I can't seem to find the answer to my question by multiple searches.

Have a lunchbox with a silver can in it. I just got a SuperStock BZ 23T and would like to install it, should I go to a 10-tooth pinion? My local hobby shop has 10T steel 32 pitch pinions (new part) as well as a metal beveled gear set for lunchbox (NOS).

Should I pick them up? The LB came to me 2nd hand so I don't have all the parts, had to go to home depot for an M4 Torsion nut to get a wheel on!

Appreciate the information and advice.

Thank you,

Mike

Seriously, for what parts are going for on ebay, I'd prefer to buy complete kits and part out what I don't need (as if I'd ever sell any rc parts)

Ok I signed up with Tamiya Club showroom and made a page for the car for pics and narration:

Click Here! to view and would love your advise, comments, thoughts, etc.

Thank you TC for this great knowledge base and discussion avenue, at the very least!

Best regards,

Mike

Oh well, I've got the same FX-10 parts home that I intended to equip my Pajero Wheelie (same chassis as your Lunchbox) with, for a year or more now. And I still have no clue how to modify the FX-10 upper arm mount to fit it to the CW-01 Wheelie chassis. So I could use that advice you're asking for too. :)

Hi Greg, thanks for the reply! :)

Would love if someone in the know would post links regarding the FX-10 upgrade.

Your comments, suggestions etc are welcomed here and on my Showroom Model linked above. The more knowledge the better!

Best regards,

Mike

Slightly off...or on-topic...

Does anyone recommend what length hole-to-hole shocks required for the Lunchbox chassis (CW-01)? If memory serves it is 80, but I've seen recommendations of 75, etc.

I built some that were 80mm out of parts I found in my stash, and the car handled great. Only problem was they leaked..so I replaced with the ones from Absima, which seem too big...

Best regards,

Mike

Hi GregM,

Just did a simple Google search and found this TC thread: Click Here!

Pretty nice description and pics and a couple links about the FX10 Double Wishbone mod. I'm going to give it a go...

Hi topforcein,

Thank you for the reply. I think I'm O.K. with the 80mm in the front. My brother and I took his kids to a giant empty parking lot and they ran around with my two Lunchys. They both ran great and the kids had a fun time. They got a little beat up but what doesn't? The only thing I would change is putting my Sport Tuned Motor in the other Lunchy, and also upgrading it to a 2.4GHz radio system (that came with the lot) so the kids can both go long range.

There's a guy in Florida (USA) that basically takes Traxxas RTRs, pulls out the standard stuff and sells that. I picked up a 2CH Tx/3CH Rx 2.4GHz system shipped to my door for about $38.00, and got it in two days! It resides in the Blue Lunchy in the link in post #20.

I have to work on my TC photo page...

Best regards,

Mike