Help wanted! Hi folks,Is there an easy way to widen the wheelspan on a Tamiya TA01 chassis? I have a HPI Lancer bodyshell I want to fit to it but it's about 30mm (1 1/4") wider across the axles and it looks rather silly at the moment.I think I could manufacture something but if there's any easy fix I'd love to know.Also are there any third party rally tyres I could use just for a change,I've got a few sets of the Tamiya rally block tyres and i'd like something different.Thanks in advance for any help,rally on,g

HPI do a range of offset wheels but don't know if you'll get 30mm of improvement

Longer drive stubs and thicker hexes will help, if you can get 'em for the TA01 - used to be a simple fix for TB01 and TLT chassis - not 100% sure it'll work on a TA01 but someone'll know

This is a longer stub, not sure what it's from, but the extra metal between the dowel hole and the thread allows for thicker hexes

It's around 16mm from the OD of the dowel hole to the start of the thread

TG10.jpg

Here's TG10 stubs; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-50808-TG10-Long-Wheel-Axle-2-Pcs-TB01-M04-Wild-Willy-2-NIP-/380938179798?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item58b1af54d6

This has the wide hexes; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-TL-01-M03-FF02-TG10-TB01-Toe-In-Rear-Upright-Hubs-53345-/281350200726?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4181c75d96

• Like 1

+9mm offset rims are the highest I've seen in rally/touring car size. That's get you another 18mm track width.

Add on another couple of mm for wider hexes and you'd be within 5mm per side of your aim.

• Like 1

This is a longer stub, not sure what it's from, but the extra metal between the dowel hole and the thread allows for thicker hexes

It's around 16mm from the OD of the dowel hole to the start of the thread

TG10.jpg

This looks a lot like the re-release Frog's rear axle #9808039:

http://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index.php?firma=Tamiya&best=9808039

As far as I can remember, the slots in the cups are wider than normal, for re-re Frog dogbones #9808038 with their large diameter pins. Regular Tamiya metal dogbones will have added slop in these.

The long distance from cup to pin hole is for accomodating the thickness of rear trailing arms. The distance from hole to thread is meant for mounting the old non-hex style of hubs (e.g. Frog and Wild One rear wheels).

I saw them used here, and am still attempting to recreate Moosey's fantastic HB2010 narrowing mod:

http://tamiya101.com/article_2010_holiday_buggy_modified.asp

Done with the rear end, but still struggling with drilling straight holes into the cut front arms... :wacko:

• Like 1

They could've been for a HB project then, I bought all the other bits and then never finished it.

The 50808 shafts are probably a more suitable option then, the only issue is the slot in the drive cup is slightly deeper on the TB/TG cup

Here's the comparison for length (drive cup slot highlighted in yellow);

shaftcomp.jpg

Here's the TB and TA overlaid, showing the difference in slot depth a little clearer (TB/TG slot deeper);

tboverlay.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys,great advice,i'll try to get some offset rims and wide hexes first,then the longer shafts depending what i can get hold of,any ideas for alternative tyres?

PS I may have over egged the extra width req'd so 18-22 mm might be perfect!

R2hobbies have offset wheel - a bit 'drift' themed but there's a fair selection even at +9mm offset.

The do some rubber tyres - including the interlocking L tread pattern (clone of early Tamiya item) with the ribs on the side walls...

http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-accessories/for-cars/tyre/1-10-rc-on-road-car-l-pattern-performance-rubber-racing-tyres-tires-4pcs.html

• Like 1

I may have conveniently got my facts very wrong but I'm sure the Tamiya Hummer is based on a TA01/02 hybrid chassis but with wider suspension arms. The arms might give you the width you need, although it's possible they will alter the wheelbase too. I don't know if someone else with access to an original TA01 and a Hummer could verify this, or if there's a nice set of Tamiya parts diagrams you could look through to see if they'll do the trick.

• Like 1

The Hummer has TA02 rear arms, giving 20mm extra wheelbase...

It will mean you're gonna need different dogbones and upper suspension connection (turnbuckles) as well.

TG10 long axles and very thick hexes plus some offset rims sounds like the easiest approach, I think.

Grotefoto-DVOAG4EP.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys,great advice,i'll try to get some offset rims and wide hexes first

Just go with offset wheels first - the wider hexes need the longer stubs otherwise you'll lose the thread for the wheelnut

• Like 1

The hpi shell is 200mm, the tamiya chassis is about 188 or so.

• Like 1

This was my TL-01 based drifter with the hpi lancer shell. It has standard hexes and +6mm rims...

driftcar6_zpsc306e021.jpg

driftcar5_zps3f7160c4.jpg

driftcar4_zpsa56bdeff.jpg

• Like 1

That looks great,I've ordered white 9mm offsets so they should have plenty of width.Once again thanks for all your help,my sons gonna love it!