dj_eatch

Hello everybody

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi there. I'm new here and have lots of questions. :unsure:

I've never really driven hobby spec RC cars, but am looking to take my first forray into it.

Half my problem is i am very indecisive, so i want to pick a first kit that will give me plenty of options without having to buy everything again.

I like the idea of drifting around the concrete or tarmac car parks park outside where i live, and practicing that.

If that'd never work then i'd want something capable of light grass as well.

I also want a kit that i can put together and improve over time.

I don't know whether to go for the Lancia Delta TT02R, and get some drift tyres for sliding around.

Or get the TT02D chassis and have to buy body and esc on top of everyhting else. But it does come with a load of shiney blue bits.

Then again there are a load of TT01DE kits out there that would probably do the trick. But don't seem to have the improvements of the TT02D.

If the TT02D came in a full kit that's probably what i'd go for.

I don't want to spend massive amounts, i was hoping to get everything (inc radio and battery type stuff) for £200.

As a last resort i am tempted to get an XB kit, take it apart and put it back together.

Arrrrggghhhhhh, help please.

Thankyou.

Welcome aboard :)

Everybody has different opinions but I say first thing to ask is what terrain you have available. Drift cars and touring cars work best on very smooth surfaces like high-quality tarmac or carpet. Some car parks are very smooth and brilliant for drifting, others can be more like gravel, so not really suitable.

Rally cars and buggies work well on rougher tarmac and fine gravel, although buggy tyres don't last long on gravel. But, just to make it confusing, you can buy tarmac tyres for buggies.

Truggies and stadium trucks are the next step up and they can handle most surfaces but they're not so fast in a straight line. Additional weight means the batteries don't last as long either.

Running on grass is OK as long as the grass is kept short, otherwise you'll be forever pulling grass out of the dogbones. Lots of buggy clubs race on short grass; my local club cuts the grass the morning before every evening race.

If you want to drive on grass or dirt, have a look at the size of the bumps: for buggies and trucks, my own personal rule of thumb is that if the bumps are much more than a third of the diameter of the wheels, the car will jump around a lot and be hard to drive. The smoother your running area, the easier it will be.

I could go on all day with the pros and cons of each type but in summary:

touring / drift: high speed, responsive handling, requires a very smooth surface, basic models (like TT01 / TT02) are robust for a beginner

buggies: handle most terrain from tarmac to short grass and dirt, as long as the bumps aren't too high. 2wd buggies are great fun for donuts and playing around but harder to drive around a track. 4wd buggies are easier to drive but can lack that fun-factor, depending on what you're looking for.

truggies or stadium trucks: same rules as buggies, but with bigger wheels and wider track they can handle bigger bumps.

As for the fancy blue bling in the drift kits, most of it isn't necessary - the best hop-up you can buy is a set of bearings, which reduce drivetrain slop and increase efficiency.

Other worthy upgrades are LiPo batteries, a LiPo-safe ESC and a good charger - I've never looked back since going LiPo, the difference is night and day. You'll get longer runtimes, more punch, and the packs don't mysteriously refuse to hold a charge after three weeks.

Have you considered going racing? It's a way to meet other people in the hobby and maintain your interest after you get bored of buzzing around the local car park on your own. See if there's a club in your area and find out what they race. Maybe pop along to say hello.

A final word - and I know not everybody agrees - but we're all here because we love Tamiya, whether it's for nostalgia, their own special style, or just the smell of a freshly-opened box, but IMO they aren't really competing with the RTR vehicles made by the likes of Traxxas, HPI etc - stock Tamiya motors aren't quick, they're not as robust (in my experience) and they sometimes lack a certain finesse in the design. If I had to buy a kit to enjoy building, painting, looking at, putting on the shelf, running around at Tamiya meets and just generally for the joy of owning something, it's a Tamiya, every time. But if I want to go out, go fast, and come back with a working car, it's the Traxxas, no question.

The reason I have over 30 Tamiyas is because I love them for what they are.

The reason the Traxxas E-Revo 1/16 is the most used car in my collection is because it does everything I ask, every time, is wicked fast out of the box (even faster with a LiPo pack) and has never broken despite some very big crashes. But it is pig-ugly and I didn't get the joy of building it ;)

• Like 3

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply Mad Ax.

Lots to think about there.

Unfortunately I dont have control over the grass as its parkland, but it does seem quite short and even (for the local cricket team).

The 2 car parks are well looked after, ones smooth concrete and the other is slippy tarmac.

I like the styling of the 4wd tourers but had always coveted the delta even though its more upright.

Really not sure if getting the tt02r and later sticking some drift tyres on later would work. Hopefully could give the best of bith worlds. There dont appear to be many tt02 r or d kits, but loads of tt01des and plenty more spares.

Is the tt02 worth a punt for the improvements or the 01 for ease?

Arrrrgh, told you I was indecisive.

TT02 should meet your needs nicely. Get a rally kit and then pick up a set of drift wheels/tyres later. That'll give you the basics of what's needed to have fun both on and off road. The TT02 has adjustable ground clearance and it's pretty easy to change over. All you'll need is a set of bearings and some oil filled dampers. The kit pinion is a hardened item as standard. Access to the diffs is also easy should you want to stiffen or lock the rear diff for drifting.

Check out my Lancia Delta Intergrale build for an idea of how the TT02 builds up.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73132&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Hi Mr Crispy, Thankyou for your reply too.

I think this is the direction I'm going to go down (unless a cheap TT-01DE catches my eye first).

Liking the look of your Delta (always remind me of SEGA Rally). Do you know if the TT01 bodies fit the TT02 or should I be looking elsewhere for differing bodies?

Any ideas where's cheapest to order from? I've looked at some of the HK places, but once you add shipping and chance import tax its only about £8 cheaper.

Thanks again guys, most helpful.

Fusion hobbies are very reasonable plus if you're a TC member you get an extra 10% off!

Hi SteveU30, I think I've had a quick look through their site before, they are definitely on my short list.

Oooooh, discount is always good :-) will have to find out more about that.

Jo at Fusion is very helpful plus you get free sweeties with every order which is a nice touch.

Got mine in Honkers from RCMarts eBay shop Dinball and dodged the tax for once :D

In UK Radicool have them for £96

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380919422206

Yes the TT01 & TT02 bodies can be swapped over fine. Most of Tamiyas touring/rally cars that use these or TL01 chassis have matching wheelbases.

Thanks for all you input guys.

I think i'm down to the following 3 options.

58551 Tamiya Toyota 86 Drift Spec - TT01ED Plus 2 Channel 2.4GHz Electric Fast Charge Deal @ £233.00

OR

58570 Tamiya Lancia Delta Integrale - TT02R Plus 2 Channel 2.4GHz Electric Fast Charge Deal @ £193.00

OR

58584 Tamiya TT02D Drift Spec Chassis - TT02D

90549 Tamiya TEU-105BK ESC

51340 Tamiya Nissan GT-R Body Set

2 Channel 2.4GHz Electric Fast Charge Deal

@ £244

Something keeps dragging me back to the TT02D as it comes with uprated shocks and bearings. But not sure if i've got everything right in the basket. (not withstanding paint and tools)

I should probably just set up a poll or something before i get chucked off here!!. :s

Yep. Whatever you chose I'd recommended the TT02 chassis from the above. Of course, we've yet to mention the XV01?

The Delta is iconic and the TT02 chassis is a good budget choice from what I can see.

There are 2 really good Delta threads on the forum well worth reading as well.

I like the idea of a drift car, but I just don't know where I could really enjoy and I would disappointed with all the chassis scuffing it would get.

I bought my Delta built with bearing from another T.C member and they are a nice looking car in the flesh.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=123689&id=40536

This one can be rehomed if you are interested ping me a p.m.

Well i've only gone and bloomin' done it!! :-D

58570 Tamiya Lancia Delta Integrale - TT02

2 Channel 2.4GHz Electric Deal

86001 Tamiya PS-1 White

54476 TT02 Bearing Set

53619 CVA mini Shock Unit x4

Absima CB-1S Charger

All in for £215.31

Thanks guys for all your time and information.
  • Like 1

Good choice! I think you'll be really happy with it. Please post pics and/or a build thread. Welcome to the addiction, hope your wallet is prepared lol.

It's finally arrived :lol:

"Working" from home tomorrow, so should have a chance at getting started. :ph34r:

• Like 1