Gruntfuggly

Fancy some RC flying - any tips?

I quite fancy getting a plane and flying round my local field.

Anybody got any good tips on what to buy? I don't want to spend huge amounts, because I'm fairly sure I'm going to end up crashing it, but I also don't want one of the 2 channel jobs - I feel the need for more control - unless that's a stupid thing to do?

Two possible approaches present themselves. Either get a conventional model and go to a club and learn to fly from an instructor, using a buddy system so you can transfer control if a crash seems imminent, or get a lightweight "bouncable" EPP foam model that is unlikely to do any harm to itself or others if it crashes, and teach yourself, possibly with a PC simulator.

I would have a look at something like the Flyzone Switch 2 in 1 trainer available from Tower for $279 RTF . You can learn the basics on a 4 channel high foam winged very stable trainer and then re configure it to a low wing very scale looking aircraft thats capable of basic aerobatics . GREAT start to learning to fly - robust , cheap spares and easy to fly until you are ready for something thats fully aerobatic

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/flyzone/flza3300.html

Buy a cheap one first, seeing as you only `fancy´ the idea, you may find its not your cup of tea.

I bought a cheap plane, had a aerilon to control pitch, think it may of been 3 channel, £30 jobby,

Loved it, but didnt get too interested though, was fun flying at dusk and watching a local owl attack it.

There is also something to be said for the old-school balsa-and-spruce airframes. I learned to fly with such a model, and crashed it many times. However it doesn't take much skill to repair them to good-as-new condition, especially since the glue used for repairs is often stronger than the wood, and once it is all covered in Solarfilm, you don't see the broken bits anyway.

I am into flying helis and planes and have been for years although never gave up the cars. There's only one sensible route in my opinion, buy a foamie or shocky made from epp. I have had these types of planes for years and you can literally fly them into the ground time and time again and either start flying again or at the very worst glue it back together.

The best one I have is a twisted hobbies crack yak and mini yak which are awsome and not that expensive. Look at www.robotbirds.co.uk a uk based seller of all things rc aeroplanes! Ring them and speak to Andy who is full of useful information. A model in the air using budget motor and esc amd servos is about £80 + radio (dx5 or 6 are the best)

This route is far better than toy grade rtf models which are typically very fragile.

Control and docile characteristics can come together. As said above:

-get a decent foamie (like the EasyStar2 or the Bixler)

-spend a little time on a simulator (if not an experienced rc pilot to help)

-read the manual and get the CoG right

-wait for a calm day

-launch into the wind

-remember that altitude and speed are your friends

-turn the plane back before it disappears out of sight

-make sure to have plenty of landing space available - good planes tend to glide forever

-read the beginners guides on RCGroups dotcom

And be prepared for the planes to take over from the cars!

Happy landings

Hear hear, get height before trying anything challenging. Oh and if you go for a foamie forge the landing gear, waste of time. Just chuck launch it and either catch to to land (looks cool but tricky) or glide into grass. The lighter the plane the slower it flies, I build all mine with max auw of about 195grams, some are 160grams

Rc groups thread on the crack yak http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578833

I would recommend how I did it (after my lesson).

I like yourself wanted to fly but was unsure where to start.

I went out and bought a huge trainer plane called a arisingstar, I build it and then never had the guts to fly it so I sold it on ebay (years ago) (That was my learning experience)

Then last year I went out and bought a Hobbyzone Champ they are like £60 and RTF. Once I got this going I realised how easy it is to Fly R\C planes as long as you take it easy to start with (despite my nerves to start with) Just take it easy practice with the hobbyzonechamp and then get braver and start experimenting. I now fly Hobby King Durafly kits and can highly recommend these but I would always recommend starting with something relatively cheap so you don't crash you hard earned cash or worse still hurt someone in the process.

I've always fancied having a go at flying and was impressed by those WW2 scale-ish Parkzone flyers that came out a few years ago. Am I right to assume they'd be a bad choice to begin flying with? Much better to learn on something more robust and then move on when the skills improve?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions! I won't have time to join a club unfortunately, so it looks like the "teach myself with something that I can crash" option is going to be the way forward. I will also try some flight sims first...

@AndyjcClod - that looks perfect - the Champ looks perfect to get started with. I looked at the Durafly too - quite like the look of a Vampire once I get some proficiency :D

• Like 1

Mr crispy I had one of those parkzone ww2 planes made from polystyrene. First flight (or landing) I ripped prop and cowling off and then second flight crashed it and it turned into a snowstorm over the field.

Ok so my fault but point is they are rarely fixable after a crash. Look nice though especially if you go for optional retractable landing gear

I have 2 Parkzone foam planes. Really good and they were my first introduction to flying. I started with the J3 cub micro and then moved onto the P51 mustang. The new versions have a chip that makes them fly well even in moderate winds. I'm trying to master inverted flight at the moment.

The planes are easy to fix, the foam on these is quite strong and if you do crash, it just splits, so use some Foam super glue and activator and in 5 minutes you can be flying again.

I have 2 Parkzone foam planes. Really good and they were my first introduction to flying. I started with the J3 cub micro and then moved onto the P51 mustang. The new versions have a chip that makes them fly well even in moderate winds. I'm trying to master inverted flight at the moment.

The planes are easy to fix, the foam on these is quite strong and if you do crash, it just splits, so use some Foam super glue and activator and in 5 minutes you can be flying again.

Second this.

Have a look at this site... http://www.bindnfly.com/

The concept is you get yourself a Spektrum 6 radio (w/o servos or receiver) ... https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM6600

and then buy one of the micro cubs.... http://www.bindnfly.com/#PKZU2180

The BNF (bind n' fly) range come with the receiver in them and it will automatically bind with your Spektrum 6. they come with servos fitted and even their own battery and charger included, all for about £80-90.

As quatmax states, the micro planes have a clever little gyro in them that really helps you get going and are really robust and easy to mend. All you do is work your way up.

I kicked off with a Cub and now have the micro Spitfire which is awesome... http://www.bindnfly.com/#PKZ6250

At sub £100 for most of these it is really remarkable value.

It is worth getting one of those flight sims for your PC.

Enjoy!

Probably the best thing I have leant regarding flying is the higher the wings are based on the plane then the less likely you are to damage it on landing.

Planes like the Cessna, Champ, skymule and monocoupe are excellent for both learning with and experimenting.

I have heard one of the best flying for performance planes is the Durafly T28 but I have not had a go with one of these (yet)

Yep, I did exactly that, I bought the BNF and a DX6i and it has proved great value (I also bought a copter)

Here's a tip, don't crash. JK lol :P Crashes happen. I would suggest also that you get a decent simulator to practice with before your first flight. The RealFlight series is really good.

Probably the best thing I have leant regarding flying is the higher the wings are based on the plane then the less likely you are to damage it on landing.

Planes like the Cessna, Champ, skymule and monocoupe are excellent for both learning with and experimenting.

I have heard one of the best flying for performance planes is the Durafly T28 but I have not had a go with one of these (yet)

Andy thats exactly why i pointed out the Flyzone Switch . Start out as a high wing then convert it to low wing . OK not as cheap as some but $279 RTF is'nt over priced IMO
  • Like 1

Same here, I will be doing some flying soon. Not giving up on the cars, they are staying. I got 3 packages en route to build a Dji f450 quad copter and also a walkera devo which include a master cp heli. That is how I sold the heli to my wife, I need a tx for the quad and if I add $50 more I get a heli.

I always wanted to do some flying. Quads will be a lot easier that heli... I hope. I started with an AR drone a few months ago when I ordered a db01rr from banzai. Liked it, so sold it moving to a kit based quad. I like the building of tamiya kits, so thought of making a quad from a kit too.

Some things I discovered are some tx that are cheap seems to be just as good as old brand names ones. Frsky taranis, devo 10. There are heaps of choices and some real good DIY jobs. There are also some insane scale copters and fancy ones too... Air wolf, blue thunder. UAV are great there are autopilot like pixhawk and apm which can drive cars too. Will like put one on the gf01 or df02