Sign in to follow this  
foofinator

What do I need to make the TL-01 to TL-01B change?

The TL01B is completely different in most respects. I think you meant the TL01LA (long arms)is the conversion you seek. The LA conversion kit is available from most any Tamiya parts supplier and is part number 53467 (OP-467) and is about $50.00US

If you really mean the TL01B then you are best to buy a new Wild Dagger (58231) as I pointed out above is almost completely different.

Yes foofinator, all you need are the wild dagger/ baja champ front/rear suspension arms en de baja champ dogbones and longer shocks!

the part# : dogbones:9805370

suspension arms: c-parts 0005688

the shocks are coil shocks, you better buy some good oil shocks, like the cva shocks: 50519.

[;)]

Jon

If you want to convert a TL01 to a TL01B (Baja Champ/Baja King, not Wild Dagger!) you will need the following parts:

The longer driveshafts (9605370) or better, the stronger but identical length "all steel" driveshafts from the Wild Dagger (9805551).

2 sets of the 0005688 TL01B C-parts, which contain the suspension arms, bumper, bumper mount, wing stay, longer lower damper mounts, steering rods and body mounts, plus some parts common with the TL01.

Also, if you intend to use buggy wheels and tires, you will need the TL01B uprights (00445572) as the TL01 uprights will result in clearance problems.

A few other parts (gearbox plate instead of rear bumper, U-shaped shaft instead of screw pins on the lower front suspension arms and some minor parts) are different too, but must not necessarily be changed.

Obviously, to create a TL01B buggy, you will need the body, stickers, wheels and tires as well. Depending on where you live, parts availability might be a problem as most TL01B specific parts aren't available as bagged parts in the 50000-series (most TL01 parts are). Might be easier and cheaper to buy a TL01B kit!

quote:The longer driveshafts (9605370) or better, the stronger but identical length "all steel" driveshafts from the Wild Dagger (9805551).

id="quote">id="quote">

Miramar, i'm abusing a wild dagger for a while now and I think those dogbones of the Baja champ are stronger!!! they are thicker, the ones from the wild dagger bent easy the baja champs don't they can handle hotter motors and off-road driving better [;)] take a look at www.rcmt.com in the wild dagger forum it's a hot topic there, i'm using those baja dogbones quite a while now without having any problems with them [:D]

question: what's the difference between the tl-01b uprights and the tl-01 uprights???

Jon

I am curious. I was looking at a Wild Dagger at my LHS and the chssis is ovbiously WAY differnet than the TL-01 cars I have. I was told by the LHS that nearly nothing other than gear parts interchanges. What gives?

Thesis I think you meant www.rcmt.net [:I]

quote:Miramar, i'm abusing a wild dagger for a while now and I think those dogbones of the Baja champ are stronger!!!

id="quote">id="quote">

I don't agree. The Baja Champ/Baja King driveshafts originate from the Manta Ray and are known since the launch in 1987 for separating the plastic ends from the shaft, and the Wild Dagger driveshafts have proved to be a much more durable choice, although they may bend and "torsion" twist more easily.

quote:question: what's the difference between the tl-01b uprights and the tl-01 uprights???

id="quote">id="quote">

The TL01 upright has a longer arm than the TL01B upright. To clear the inside of the wheel, Tamiya used the TA01 upright for the TL01B. The Baja Champ and Baja King kits come with the TA01 uprights on a separate sprue. Unlike the red TA01 uprights, they are molded in black however.

You're right twmaster [:I][:I],

quote:I am curious. I was looking at a Wild Dagger at my LHS and the chssis is ovbiously WAY differnet than the TL-01 cars I have. I was told by the LHS that nearly nothing other than gear parts interchanges. What gives?

id="quote">id="quote">

even the gear parts don't interchange, the only parts that are the same or interchange are the upright's and the bodyposts [:0] and the gear outdrives [;)]

Miramar,I don't have that problem with the baja dogbones, but maybe you're right (I hope not [;)]) I'll let you know when those plastic ends separate.

Thnx, I have the red steering knuckles on my dagger (to fit the hpi wheels) but I don't like that color so I think I'll order those black knuckles from the tl-01b, do you have the part# for me???

Jon

quote:I have the red steering knuckles on my dagger (to fit the hpi wheels) but I don't like that color so I think I'll order those black knuckles from the tl-01b, do you have the part# for me???

id="quote">id="quote">

Black knuckle arms / uprights have the 0445572 item number, whereas the red are 50648.

The Hummer and the TL01B cars (Baja King and Baja Champ) come/came with black knuckle arms, and I use them on my Wild Dagger (for clearance with TR-15T wheels) and on my Chevy S-10, Ford F150 and Toyota Prerunner stadium trucks as well, as I don't like the look of the red parts either!

thanks Miramar!!!, what's you're experience with those wild dagger dogbones?? how do you prevent them from bending?? cause you made me thinking uhoh3.gif about those baja champ dogbones with their plastic ends sad.gif

thnx, Jon