photomic

Project Repair to Roll

It's been a while since I worked on this kit. Ran it for a few years, made some changes and then ran it into a wall. Its a Wild Willy 2, purchased this century so it's new. Painted and ran with original grill.

DSC00797.JPG

Then, decided I'd like a more traditional looking grill, so I made one. That's a piece of clear polycarbonate with a printed grill stuck on with 3M spray glue. Then dremeled.

DSC00785_edited.JPG

Not the tidiest bit of work, but it came out ok.

DSC00793.JPG

Ta-da! The overall dimensions are about right.

DSC00796.JPG

And it fits with a bit of filing.

DSC00798.JPG

And I wanted some lights.

DSC00815.JPG

The light buckets are hot glued on and the reflectors are twisted in place.

DSC00816.JPG

A few more angles of the grill for those of you who might be curious.

Picture%2520012.jpg

The black plastic behind the small holes are LED holders.

Picture%2520010.jpg

With all protective covering off.

Picture%2520011.jpg

And a close up of the back.

Picture%2520014.jpg

First layer of paint.

Picture%2520015.jpg

And paint's done.

Picture%2520017.jpg

The torch bulb was not intended for use.

DSC00820.JPG

I have left it on at this stage just to see how the lights would look. Of course, I could use the torch bulbs for a warmer look.

DSC00823.JPG

Naturally, the new grill won't fit ... without some grinding.

Picture%2520003.jpg

Better.

Picture%2520001.jpg

From the back.

Picture%2520002.jpg

Some more grinding to fit the light bucket holders.

Picture%2520004.jpg

Done.

Picture%2520005.jpg

Wait. This is done.

Picture%2520009.jpg

I wanted to be able to drive at night, so scale realism took a back seat. I guess this would simulate non-existent halogens or xenon lamps. Resistor soldered on to run direct from Rx.

20041007%2520003.jpg

What? Calculations? How do I know how many resistors to use? Just solder more if it keeps blowing. Spares are handy.

20041007%2520001.jpg

And remember the obligatory wires and soldering stuff. Get decent solder wire with rosin core so that your soldering tips don't get corroded overnight. No, you don't need a flamethrower or a thousand watts to solder properly. I use a 40W Goot soldering iron.

20041007%2520002.jpg

Remember to put on the heat shrink in the correct sequence as you solder. Or you'll get to enjoy de-soldering and re-soldering connections. The horizontal heat shrinked LED legs, that were cut off for the resistor, are re-used to keep the LEDs at the right depth within the reflector bucket.

Picture%2520005.jpg

And, a connector is made to plug into the Rx unit for juice.

Picture%2520007.jpg

Plug in. If you look really closely, you will see the Y splitters for the four LEDs.

DSC00875.JPG

Check connections.

Picture%2520006.jpg

And switch on!

Picture%2520009.jpg

Lovely.

Picture%2520001.jpg

Yay. And I ran this for a few years. Yes, I haven't spoken about the repairs yet. No, I won't be doing so anytime soon. It's taken me the better part of half a year to get my photos sorted out and logged back into Tamiyaclub. Yes, I have a mobile phone that is really convenient for posting messages. No, I haven't figured out how to copy photo URLs from my phone. Yes, the airbrushing took a while. I used an Aztek A470. It leaks once in a while but I've found it leaks less the more I use it. It's also helpful to use a baby toothbrush with a bit of denatured alcohol to brush the tip every now and then to take care of any paint build up on the needle; paint build up equals splatter. Like soldering, I picked up airbrushing by trial and error. Sometimes, I just have to try things. Yes, I would love to get a Silent compressor and Iwata airbrushes. Let me know if you want to send me the money to buy a set; I'll post photos of what I get. In the mean time, I'll keep on using the Aztek. Thank you for taking the time to view this post. I have a cold, my head is heavy, my nose is leaking, I can't really think straight and am becoming more incoherent.

• Like 9

A little late but nice work on the grill, welcome back to the fold!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this!

Great little build thread and I am a big fan of your custom grill, really nice work.

If you have a smart phone get the tapatalk app. Allows you to post pics direct from your phone to this forum.

Hi SteveU30 and Toykid, Thanks for the kind words. I really like your build/project posts too.

Well, my nose has stopped running so its time for an update. I found some photos of the driver from 2004. It's been a while ...

I decided on an alternate head so that I could take my time with the Wild Willy Helmet Head... it's still not done yet. Anyway, this was from a 1/6 $3 toy soldier figure. Would have bought a few more but I didn't know how the plastic would react to acrylic paint ... and by the time I tried some, I couldn't find the toys for sale anymore. Looking good.

Picture%2520027.jpg

Neat haircut.

DSC00890.JPG

• Like 2

I used Gunze Sangyo Aqueous Hobby Color because that's what I had at the time. Left over from a few more years earlier. Some enamels too.

Picture%2520034.jpg

Making do isn't so bad.

Picture%2520033.jpg

A Kodak moment.

Picture%2520001.jpg

Sure, an Iwata airbrush would have been nice. But masking does the trick here.

The results are really quite decent. The blotches show my complete ignorance over dual action air brush use and control at this stage. The phrase, 'Spray and Pray' comes to mind. That and quality Tamiya mummifying masking tape.

Picture%2520012.jpg

And done. With a little bit of Brylcreem.

DSC00951.JPG

And in the cockpit.

DSC00954.JPG

With NVGs for the late night drives.

DSC00952.JPG

With IR lens option.

DSC00953.JPG

The driver is qualified for jets, helicopters and jeeps.

Dude, are you sure you put all the parts back on my jeep? And the right tires?

DSC00957.JPG

• Like 8

I did miss out a major part earlier, the fuel can. With a whole load of blue construction foam on hand, I decided to try something a little different from the usual styrene fix.

Picture%2520014.jpg

It was quite easy to cut a block to a bit larger than the fuel can, press it on the can to get an imprint and then file it to shape. Other than a blue blizzard, it's quite neat.

An exact fit was not part of the plan, nor is it necessary.

Picture%2520016.jpg

As you can see, there's a bit protruding out.

Picture%2520017.jpg

Picture%2520018.jpg

Simply file any excess back to level with the fuel can.

Picture%2520020.jpg

Clearly, there are gaps everywhere.

Picture%2520022.jpg

Which is why the next step is necessary.

Picture%2520023.jpg

The light brown stuff is wood filler. Applied in thin layers to aid drying.

Picture%2520024.jpg

Ta da!

Picture%2520001.jpg

Ok, so that's not the filled side.

Picture%2520002.jpg

Nor was that the filled side. But there's a hint here.

Picture%2520003.jpg

And Ta Da! Again!

Picture%2520004.jpg

From another angle.

Picture%2520005.jpg

The finish is smooth. Really smooth. As in, it's not only smooth looking because of the incredibly low resolution of my digital camera ten years ago. And surprisingly durable. The line near the top is simply a continuation of the engraved line from the fuel can. Scored using a file and a straight wooden block. The brown vertical strip was from a piece of styrene, sanded lightly to blend with the fuel can strap. Oh, and I sanded down the fuel can molding seam lines somewhere along the line. Overall, it's decent enough for a runner. Given the amount of body roll and bumpy shocks, any detail less than one inch is not really noticeable during a normal drive. Driving this car really brightens up my day!

I should add that should you wish to follow this route, that there's a caveat to what I made above that I discovered after a few years of running. A few years because I don't usually take apart the body parts during the usual run and dust. More on this later.

By the way, I don't remember why I airbrushed the safety belts on the driver figure. If you want to go this route, I'd suggest sanding down the safety belt first as there a a few bumps and streaks here and there that will show through an airbrushed finish. Hold it against a bright reading lamp to show up the shadow.

• Like 4

Hi mongoose1983, zomboided, and Wild Willy Speed Shop. Thanks for the kind words. I am sure you will be glad to know that it didn't hurt to remove the masking tape from my Willy.

I bought some extra Brat tires and wheels after a few years and thought it might be a good idea to put them on the jeep. It didn't look too bad from an angle. Before we go further, I ask you to excuse the rubber latex glove fingers and heat shrink that were used to ... erm ... protect the dampers and springs and servo compartment. As may be slightly apparent, I sometimes run the jeep off pavement and the occasional splatter of wet earth tends to go everywhere. The latex glove pieces lessens the amount of time I have to spend cleaning and rebuilding stuff. I also noticed that I seem to have lost a few bits and bobs by this time; namely, the windscreen and the dash cover.

DSC00592.JPG

DSC00594.JPG

From the side though, the Brat tires look a bit ... awkward.

DSC00591.JPG

I think this was the lowest I got it to go.

DSC00593.JPG

Needed a change in plans. Noticed a chunk of silver grey plastic. Idea.

• Like 1

Idea ... what if I used an M03 chassis?

DSC00573.JPG

Didn't look too bad. Erm ... the pink bumper ... yeah ... that was from the time it was on the Coca-Cola mini.

Unfortunately, the chassis was a little bit on the long side. I could imagine the tires at the right height though.

DSC00577.JPG

What to do? What to do? And please ignore the various connectors and adapters. The chassis was on life support.

I need an M-03S chassis. S for 'Shortened'. Measure once, cut twice. That's it! I knew I should have been a carpenter. Born natural.

DSC00579.JPG

Used a bit of epoxy.

DSC00580.JPG

The epoxy was advertised to hold 2 tons...

DSC00581.JPG

Looks slick.

DSC00583.JPG

DSC00582.JPG

DSC00584.JPG

2 tons ... small surface area ... twitchy driving ... sloppy tie rods ...

DSC00585.JPG

Ah well, better safe than sorry, what?

DSC00586.JPG

Just a few slices of styrene and a bit more epoxy. My driving isn't that bad. This is ... um ... purely decorative...

DSC00587.JPG

A close-up

DSC00588.JPG

For some reason, this reminds me of a chicken carcass ... Anyway, I think the M-03S chassis is ready to be built up now.

DSC00589.JPG

Not a very inspiring photo. Transplant in progress. But if you look above the slicks, you'll know this is an M-03S.

DSC00590.JPG

• Like 1

Chuck all the drive and radio bits on, put on new shoes and RUN!

DSC00762.JPG

Stop laughing and tidy up the wiring. And swap in a Dirt Tuned motor.

DSC00804.JPG

I can't remember why, but I spaced out the wheels for a wider track. Might try bringing it in the next time. Needed brass tubes for spacers. Worked, but not the nicest stance.

DSC00755.JPG

All the radio bits were shoved into the back. The Rx couldn't quite make it in.

DSC00807.JPG

The brass tubes are extending the mounting posts for the front. If its worth doing, its worth doing weirdly.

DSC00806.JPG

• Like 1

Cool. The M03 is such better starting point than the ORV. I shortened a TL01 chassis's a few years back and got the wheelbase down to 170mm to fit the WW2 body. Had to loose the battery position so now it sits on top. Ansmann 96mm Kong wheels & tyres looked pretty good on it.

Chuck all the drive and radio bits on, put on new shoes and RUN!

DSC00806.JPG

I was wondering... have you finished this Jeep?

"Finished" seems so ... final... I have progressed on this jeep.  A few times.   But, I am getting ahead of myself.   The chassis ran fine. Quite speedy.  Just like an M03, in fact; an amazing coincidence.    Tossed on a WW2 tub to check wheel well alignment.   Seems about right.   Excuse the weathering... that's real mud. 

U_5DkN7uxv2-A40uBQPFbhOJ6YY4eC4lFpx9LLR7

And then, there was the sudden stop ...

iiQG0PYqZv2CE1ErfM-7hJseJ_zFk2xEs1CrqSWu

• Like 3

In an attempt to keep up with technology, I dusted off my mouse and desktop computer and fired up the Gimp.

280466375_2019-06-1208_48_34.thumb.jpg.f679c9085e0d8ce2d55b0ff6d3b017f2.jpg

Suitably impressed by my technical prowess, I printed out a copy and transferred it to a thin sheet of  styrene.   

20131015_101110.thumb.jpg.42603ef5595d5c8af6f47424db776a42.jpg

Sort of. I know it looks bad. But, we shouldn't judge a book by its cover and all that.

• Like 1

So, after drilling some marker holes, we have the starting point for transferring the lines to styrene. 

20131015_101642.thumb.jpg.918d7dc809ee85bf57e18408a44e3a8b.jpg

Bear with me.  It will get worse before it gets better...

20131015_104156.thumb.jpg.4a73b7912b56f2b0196c92646b2fbdd4.jpg

I know it looks warped. Honestly, I don't recall that clearly, but I think it was just the curvature of the earth and the gravitational pull of the moon that bent the light reflecting off the styrene.

20131015_110828.thumb.jpg.6a6d115a0f53e4afd6125f0455b1415e.jpg

Or perhaps it was the grid lines on the cutting mat that's causing an illusion of unstraight lines? In any case, some holes were added for lightness.

• Like 2

I feel a little unbalanced ...  Wait! It's not me.  It's the grille!

Q83uEXQymtCVv82PbYFsHTaeMg2tvDvRXoFYbCTm

The nice thing about styrene is that you can always melt or glue some back after taking off a bit too much.

ujvDFZspOsQ5ixA5iid4joDy7wPoS3KdSnkRIeso

Holey Willy! That's a lot of holes!

MD7w_LtQ8LgvNwldbsZQOu9HyKxC4BE2tzwGgJdi

The grille is asymmetrical at the marker lights to simulate the bump for the battery holder in the original engine compartment. Or some such reason.   You may also notice that there are nine slots per the original Willys MB grille.

Score from hole to hole and we have added more lightness with a few gentle prods.   And some filing to round out the holes.

nJ0cxMBGv4DXIJ-jUwa1yAcsiXQR9Ghvhwkc_sjk

A smidgen more lightness added to clearance for light buckets.

OXWX6OmcsF23L0gsMmBomCvGfUz9n6EGlgONWX8_

A quick test fit to check clearance.   Seems about right.   Also visible are dents to the original Wild Willy 2 hood.

qJGdGh2Gl3GAPrfG0IdylFBb4XmhSjovYHJAjvVB

Integrated mounts for the light buckets done.

-ocO1v_Z7NyXK984GuE1QOwpOpXjQp3ZG2hO0BHH

If you review the first post above, you will notice the first grille used the black mounts from the torch light.   Couldn't use the black mounts here due to the additional 3 slots in the grille.   The styrene plates on top and sides of the grille are to simulate the radiator shroud in the engine bay.

Front view

sfMG2tfOofZN6EhwQHoT8gy9y5kfKyxx1jVpe8sJ

Under the bonnet.   Bit cosy, what?

HP77MPoRc1MpYiCZQ5RtfJRRU-dhFXo_i9hNW0-u

The jerrycan appears somewhat distressed ... Added to the repair list.

SXRmMbst0xZ004-OL66z0PIqpVhjGLKA2DqJkHfJ

Side supports for the marker lights.

DM6oEb7kFZWZENjw5qA0I20scOUIV2XuWwcUvbn9

Contemplating cooling.

Nm-XZxmiSCDm28FmzYQ-Gc4_nVUsxu7rhSWnCJfo

It does fit ... but ...

IGdOPRVqPOGou-DkaKkKv91PQKKGmvmqyuIGPU2b

• Like 2

jsI913WtNeprnkw8t8SyiWE8JFuvO4W3EdBe81UP

Use the back side of the velcro. Stick the other side on a piece of styrene.

K5MX95WqirkbP1a9A-HH3BpQGcvqcbdeLDkYLiVz

Add a couple of tabs to the radiator shroud.

4xYEPFib-MpIT_4dY2tKGXffxFg_oZLYbcIwJ5-3

And then to the styrene plate thats backing the velcro strip.

9pCE1L07gJShwK-Ld8ApgkthsbvM7HFKpbgWXbfx

Drill a couple of through holes. Then secure using 1mm screws.   This allows separation for paint.

o4xLJyVkwm4Zqrj1QbOT-LnbvNyCWGz72xkfrdwn

Because ... I wanted to see what it'd look like before paint. :) 

mSwj1qBKHEdn0R0P3p4kyGDoyNjqM6dwrYgj5o-E

Ok. Looks about right.

uD5P6OU8PKxTk4YJ0mntVJl6fub28WGHeDYBpSQ0

• Like 1

B598RrhWhYqPAnd0Rm_UZKvFIq7ks3-cSSmxgPoU

Marker lights.

avNE6mRiF7pz1ZijRwUa8ml9pkMqyXL65ch1qYd8

A few more bits of styrene and its starting to look the part.

s2C_UmBy_8ccsFD3Rik7yFKIkxY4oxc-RZkCoNrv

Next step, paint.

• Like 2

So, I broke apart my airbrush for another round of clean and repair.

AiZSiX7yQYuK4GOm94Im2ruxrQl6r1BGx4QDsOTi

A bit crusty, I know...

WZ6M8qbsCm3I5G9x5hk3mEZ-Vx3d-1BvA5ynHSfY

But, it works!

hk7CCtGWQNNdV-szfS_Cvrr5ULTx7jBkmcieuoY7

And, yes, good enough for a three tone camouflage scheme.

And here it is, secured to the jeep.

ONABaFVGaVqATgvDscpzgsKIgTGVhaHrvUnjGNce

• Like 4

Once upon a time, in a place far far away, a thin non-woven pressed material comprising milled plant or textile fibers was produced for the purpose of capturing ideas.   This fragile material was the predecessor of the modern fabrication tool known as iPAD, also known as the incredible Paper Assisted Design.   A sample of which is shown below.

bF7zIy0y1fCv2cF_RsaQ8ZYyyesXT7JgXIRPDxhJ

Despite taking advantage of modern cellulose based materials with an affinity for Paper, the use of this tool continues to require copious amounts of dark liquids to ensure sufficient mental clarity for safe operation.

542ywVwwRR7PIYk6vCyGmJBvOcFRwDvBr9RZB092

• Haha 2

nOwryskSKuDP6jRFbmorvFOEN4mEcGsk2zg2ttks

Quite a while back, the dash cover decided to go walkabout. And hasn't returned since. 

Slight diversion. A quick job to seal up a gaping big hole that should accommodate the rubber on/off switch cover on the original Wild Willy M38.   Which is strange because the body post hole in the center of the hood no longer exists.   But drilling a body post hole is easier than cutting out a square I guess?   Anyway, front towards the hood.   The patch is from a styrene sheet.

to0clSxcge7AU8aC2YvFLlOawiuotg4pM2YXwkXP

I also took the opportunity to trim off the center body offset plate to allow the tub to sit lower.

Flush fit.

4j9FXmepEQHX2hLtKlUjBC9CzhkGsVHAhpa1myeL

Painted.

DOMbA5GQdK0XNGqrb4CwE5p4qEEZYGLudqjwsDM4

• Like 3