JennyMo

Willy's ultra-STUMPkin - the STUMPkamper!

In my ongoing pursuit of crating the 'ultimate' WR-02* based vehicle... I've had an idea that is too good not to share - and even though it is barely past the embryonic stage physically, it is already fully formed in my mind at least!

*Or possibly a GF-01, we'll have to see ;o)

Let me set the scene with some waffle...

I get the feeling that for many of us here, there were two films that defined the late 1970s... Star Wars of course was THE movie of the decade... but runner up in the box-office, and my actual personal favourite has to be Smokey and the Bandit - not because of the car, but because of the Truck!!!

It was the first time I'd seen an American style lorry with a 'nose' - and I'm sure influenced my interest in automotive things in general... I try and spend as much time as I can in the US these days, and I still get a tingle when I see an 'old skool' style Peterbilt or Kenworth thundering by (and boy do they thunder by - no truck speed limiters like we have here in Europe!)

I also love all things off-road, so am sure this is also why I also have a soft spot for the Unimog camper conversions you see coming out of Europe - as it combines off-road prowess with a 'nose' (albeit a snub one) style cab... and in SWB form particularly, to me is just perfectly proportioned!

So for Willy's latest ride, I wanted to crate something along those lines... short, stumpy, off-roadable, and something I could accessorise even more than I was able to with the STUMPkin and Nailer projects.

Of course Tamiya already produce a number of different chassis vehicles that feature a Unimog pick-up shell - and I'm sure it would be relatively straight forward to shorten one of those to fit on a WR-02 chassis in a similar style to the GF-01 Land Cruiser perhaps?

But I just really don't like lexan bodies... and while it might be possible to cobble something together using a mixture of styrene and other truck tops (for example the lexan hard top from the Axial Rubicon Unlimited kit), the overall result would never be as satisfactory, and my heart is with the hard bodies as you know...

Then it hit me! - the answer was, if somewhat ironically for someone who typically likes to shorten the sh!t out of any shell I can lay my hands on, right there on ebay... one of the longest Tamiya vehicles produced that, as it turns out, wouldn't need the body chopping down at all - it was almost as if it was made for the WR-02!

P1010403_zps1225dcd6.jpeg

Yep - that is a 1:14th scale Tamiya Ford Aeromax with a sleeper cab, which in this application will make the perfect 1:12th size camper for Willy, and maybe Wanda too, if he gets lucky ;o)

P1010398_zps4c39940b.jpeg

There will be a bit of work to do to get it to sit on the WR chassis - the front body mounts won't be an issue with longer posts, but as with the STUMPkin and STUMPscorcher, I'll need to get creative with the rear body posts to support the weight of this shell, and also because I'd quite like to incorporate a proper scale interior into the back body section.

As you can just see from the photo above, the roof actually has three sections cut out, which I intend to incorporate as skylight style windows - allowing you to view the interior from above.

The shell will also need a little modification around the front wheel arches so that the wheels clear on full travel and steering, while keeping the body as low as possible* on the chassis itself... My current thinking is to actually do away with the headlight buckets and trim the wings back similar to the STUMPkin, particularly as I intend to fit a roof-rack over the cab and incorporate a barrage of roof mounted spot lights instead.

*One thing is for sure, with the extra weight of this shell so far back, this one will wheelie indefinitely!

​Other details I have in mind will be a roof access ladder (most likely a series of D shaped hoops) up one side of the camper back, quite possibly a spare wheel (I'm thinking the spare one I have from the Wild Willy 2 shell, although that is nothing like the size of the actual wheels fitted of course, it would help 'keep it in the Willy family' so to speak) on the rear... plus I still have that little 1:12th scale Monkey bike that would be just perfect on a rear-mounted rack too!

So, I feel that is probably enough of an introduction for now...

I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions, and hope you'll come with me (and Willy, and Wanda) on our journey to "Cruise America!"

Toot toot for now!

Jenny xx

• Like 5

EPIC!!!

The shell looks made to measure for the WR-02. A few times I've thought about chopping a Bullhead to fit a Willy chassis, never considered the 1/14 trucks.

I'll definitely be watching this one with interest!

cheers,

Rob

PS: Part of me is already planning desert camo, up armour, extra storage etc but I can't keep 'borrowing' your ideas!!

• Like 1

OH GOOD GRAVY THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME

The Wanda comment made me smirk :P This has everything it takes to become a really fun project, including a masterful builder. Looking forward to seeing this one get built up!

AWESOME!! This is going to be stunning, a seriously chunky ride for Willy :lol: :D

Hi Jenny,

This is going to be such a cool build. Will it have a pristine or weathered paint job?

I recon a finish like the truck from the Dennis Weaver film "Duel" (well worth watching) would give it an epic look.

Nump.T

Well it looks like Willy should be well prepared for the zombie apocalypse should you go all Mad Max on the body. Great project, I'll be watching this with interest. But please Jenny put a very tame motor in it, I'd hate to see a few months of hard work get wiped out in a single roll over :(

Hi Jenny,

This is going to be such a cool build. Will it have a pristine or weathered paint job?

I recon a finish like the truck from the Dennis Weaver film "Duel" (well worth watching) would give it an epic look.

Nump.T

Well it looks like Willy should be well prepared for the zombie apocalypse should you go all Mad Max on the body. Great project, I'll be watching this with interest. But please Jenny put a very tame motor in it, I'd hate to see a few months of hard work get wiped out in a single roll over :(

Hee hee - you know me, it is going to be far more Duel and Max Max than pristine, that's for sure!

Initially I was tempted to build it up as a sort of race service truck (perhaps with an A-frame to tow/trailer the STUMPscorcher behind for example?) - with various sponsor stickers on the sides and doors...

Then again, I also thought an [ex] Military theme might be good - tying it in with the Wild Willy with the various stencil style graphics etc. - perhaps a radio van or something? suitably weathered of course ;o)

But ultimately I think the back story might be it's a well used cross-continental truck, starting to rust - perhaps with a faded haulage company log on on the doors? - and found in a scrap yard with a busted transmission... Willy saw the potential immediately, and snapped it up at a bargain price (in reality the Aeromax shell was not especially cheap, but then I guess the trucks are high end kits in comparison)...

He's now got it in the workshop, and is considering replacing the stock 2WD chassis & transmission with 4x4 (GF-01) to make it more capable off-road*, but of course it will have to retain the comedy oversize wheels from the WR-02 series...

It won't be a quick build, although I hope to have the body mounted on one of my existing WR-02 chassis soon as a test run before springing for a GF-01 kit.

* If anyone has a GF-01, I'd be interested to know what it's like at slower speed off road... I presume it has open diffs at each end, and combined with limited suspension travel means it's not particularly good at crawling?

More soon!

Jx

I'd definitely go for a GF-01 and the 4x4. Are you going to jack up the shell somewhat to allow for suspension movement ?

I'd be tempted to 'go large' and put blackfoot / bruiser tyres on it with the lug pattern tires, but perhaps the narrower tires would wreck the stability of the model.

That shell would look awesome on my 4x4x4 lunch box chassis, complete with leaf springs and solid axles :)

I'd definitely go for a GF-01 and the 4x4. Are you going to jack up the shell somewhat to allow for suspension movement ?

I'd be tempted to 'go large' and put blackfoot / bruiser tyres on it with the lug pattern tires, but perhaps the narrower tires would wreck the stability of the model.

That shell would look awesome on my 4x4x4 lunch box chassis, complete with leaf springs and solid axles :)

Hi MadInventor! - don't worry, the shell was only resting on the tyres in the photos above to give an idea of the proportions...

As I mentioned in the intro - with such a weighty shell for the wheelbase/track, I don't want the centre of gravity to be much higher than it is - so what I intend to do is cut the headlamps and the return lip of the wheel arches away, leaving only the fender section above the front tyres (similar to what I did with the STUMPkin) - and then raise the body just enough so that the tyres clear on full travel/steering lock...

Similarly at the rear, I intend to fold the thin lower panels below the sleeper cab at 45° inwards, and fabricate a rear crossmember similar to that on a Land Rover Defender - that ought to provide a little extra clearance for the rear tyres, with a similar minimal rise in body height.

All will be clear once I've got some longer body posts fitted to the current chassis (which is from my STUMPscorcher)... ultimately though, I will be buying another chassis to build a complete vehicle - your suggestion about [even] larger tyres has got me thinking a Farm King might be a cheap way to get a NIP WR-02 chassis, and then decide which size to go for and buy the respective second set of wheels so all four match... I have to say though, I like the synergy of having all my WR stable on the same size wheels...

Maybe I'll just spring for a GF-01 and fit rear wheels all round?

Jx

Nice idea! But it's just not freaky enough (like that beautiful Beetle you shortened).

Can you move the cab forward over the front wheel arch or shorten the bonnet, and then reduce the size of the sleeper cab (or not) and throw a little tow platform on the back to make it like a modern day stumpy Bullhead?

Maybe I'll just spring for a GF-01 and fit rear wheels all round?

Jx

Yeah, this definitely :)

* If anyone has a GF-01, I'd be interested to know what it's like at slower speed off road... I presume it has open diffs at each end, and combined with limited suspension travel means it's not particularly good at crawling?

You're right, the GF-01 is no crawler. It drives a lot like a WR-02 though the 4WD does improve things at low to medium speed on loose surfaces.

Fusion have the GF-01 for £129, with TC member's discount that's £116 delivered.

• Like 1

You're right, the GF-01 is no crawler. It drives a lot like a WR-02 though the 4WD does improve things at low to medium speed on loose surfaces.

Fusion have the GF-01 for £129, with TC member's discount that's £116 delivered.

Sweet! - thanks for the lead IBIFTKH - how do I get the discount code, do I need to call them?

That said, I see that have the WW2 for the same price too - that's a nice way to get a spare Willys shell and another full-body Willy too of course ;o)

Jx

Email or PM them. Joanne will walk you through it. Talk to her before you order because you'll need the discount code when you place the order.

• Like 1

Nice idea! But it's just not freaky enough (like that beautiful Beetle you shortened).

Can you move the cab forward over the front wheel arch or shorten the bonnet, and then reduce the size of the sleeper cab (or not) and throw a little tow platform on the back to make it like a modern day stumpy Bullhead?

Hee hee - don't worry, it'll be freaky all right ;o)

Funny, I did consider some kind of tray-back/platform behind the sleeper cab, but mainly for storage - I'm thinking a couple of beer kegs and the 1:12th scale Monkey bike I have - or else a hinged/drop-down A frame or crane like a tow truck?

However, the length of the shell is perfect as it is for the wheelbase and chassis - moving the shell back a little so the grille is above the WR front bumper means there will be enough clearance for the front wheels on full lock and suspension compression without cutting too much of the arches away (I want to try and keep this recognisably an Aeromax, as the styling of the cab is what attracted me to this particular vehicle in the first place ). Similarly, with the shell in that position, the rear of the sleeper cab is directly above the wheelie bar, and even with a spare wheel cover on the back, it means the shell will be protected when it is up on it's rear wheels - which I imagine it will be a LOT of the time ;o)

I'm currently messing with my SRB at the moment, but I can see some time over the weekend being devoted to getting this thing up and running on the current WR-02 chassis...

More soon!

Jx

As a thought - presumably it would be possible to fit TL-01B arms and dog bones etc to the GF-01 and make it ULTRA wide? - of course the danger is it will then be completely over square (being far wider than it is long), but it would also offer an increase in ground clearance and travel too?

Stop me now!

Jx

Blackfoot / Bruiser tires will give an increase in ground clearance without modifying the suspension ;)

Do you really need the extra ground clearance for your intended driving ? If you need something to go anywhere buy a TXT-1 :)

Perhaps a bit of a bonkers suggestion, but how about hanging a WR02 gearbox off the back of a GF01, and making it a twin motor 6X6 truck? It might not wheelie with the longer wheelbase, but it would look impressive and be great offroad, especially if you did "go wide" with TL01B suspension. You could then extend the sleeper, and have even more space for a scale(ish) interior.

I think it would fit better with the rest of your Wild Willy fleet this way too. After all, a truck is bigger than a Jeep or Baja Bug, presumably even in Willyland.

• Like 3

When I first saw the thread title I thought you were going to be shortening a VW Camper van ha ha, this still looks interesting though, watching with interest (as always).

As a thought - presumably it would be possible to fit TL-01B arms and dog bones etc to the GF-01 and make it ULTRA wide? - of course the danger is it will then be completely over square (being far wider than it is long), but it would also offer an increase in ground clearance and travel too?

Stop me now!

And if you widen it, presumably you'd avoid most of the clearance issues and be able to keep the body that bit lower?

Don't stop, we're enjoying this! :D

Perhaps a bit of a bonkers suggestion, but how about hanging a WR02 gearbox off the back of a GF01, and making it a twin motor 6X6 truck? It might not wheelie with the longer wheelbase, but it would look impressive and be great offroad, especially if you did "go wide" with TL01B suspension....

This is quite possibly the best idea I've read on this forum, ever....

Perhaps a bit of a bonkers suggestion, but how about hanging a WR02 gearbox off the back of a GF01, and making it a twin motor 6X6 truck? It might not wheelie with the longer wheelbase, but it would look impressive and be great offroad, especially if you did "go wide" with TL01B suspension. You could then extend the sleeper, and have even more space for a scale(ish) interior.

I think it would fit better with the rest of your Wild Willy fleet this way too. After all, a truck is bigger than a Jeep or Baja Bug, presumably even in Willyland.

This is quite possibly the best idea I've read on this forum, ever....

Ha ha! - ok, here's one for the [action] movie nerds - I can't for the life of me remember what it was*, but there was a scene when a truck tractor effectively raises up it's front end on the rear 4 wheels and wheelies out of some flames... it was one of the crappiest pieces of CGI/model filming I've seen and totally unrealistic - however, it might actually be possible based on XV Pilots' suggestion - imagine having the rear gearbox/axle on a pivot between the middle and rear axles, so that effectively the front chassis still can wheelie on what is now the middle row of wheels, while the rearmost axle stays on the ground?

Goodness I might be on to something! - but not as part of this build ;o)

Jx

*Thinking about it, it might have Terminator 2?