JennyMo

Willy's ultra-STUMPkin - the STUMPkamper!

I haven't been back on this thread since near the beginning. Excellent job as ever Jenny, epic build skills and the finished article really speaks for itself. Great concept too.

Final photo update (honestly, I do have a new model to show you too!) - January 2017:

Nothing much to report here, other than replacing the white (WR02 Wheelie Bus) wheels with the black ones that I had fitted on the STUMPScorcher...

I also had a great weekend before Christmas driving this myself, along with my nephew and his Chrome Edition Midnight Pumpkin, and my niece who took charge of the STUMPscorcher... the local park didn't know what hit them!

I can say with some authority that the STUMPkamper is surprisingly robust - although the slightest incline and it wheelies indefinitely. It was also hysterical in their local skate-park, where [if it failed a climb] it would reverse down a slope on it's rear wheels and wheelie-bar!

IMG_4020_zpsmcgn5kpo.jpeg

IMG_4021_zps60br4egt.jpeg

IMG_4022_zpsevb36kb0.jpeg

IMG_4023_zps5bbmmvyq.jpeg

Well, it is the Dakar Rally time of year after all... ;o)

Jenny xx

• Like 14

Looks great, very impressed as always with the modelling skills, but my question is, have you considered ditching the WR-02 chassis as a basis for projects and upgrading to the 4wd GF-01 ? ;) I've just built my son a dump truck for Christmas and it drives so much better than I remember my old WWII handling :) 

• Like 1

That is pretty cool!

I must admit though, when I read the Kamper bit, I was half expecting an even shorter VW samba bus... :lol:

• Like 1

On 4 January 2017 at 11:27 PM, MadInventor said:

Looks great, very impressed as always with the modelling skills, but my question is, have you considered ditching the WR-02 chassis as a basis for projects and upgrading to the 4wd GF-01 ? ;) I've just built my son a dump truck for Christmas and it drives so much better than I remember my old WWII handling :) 

Hi MadInventor! Yes, I did consider the GF-01 chassis for this build originally, but the problem was that at the time the wheels and tyres on that kit (the Toyota FJ pick-up] were not really suitable - so in addition I'd have to have bought two pairs of WR-01 rear wheels and tyres too to get the same look.

Of course now there is the Dump Truck kit, that option is a little more [financially] realistic, although they would have to be painted unless you wanted the chassis and wheels bright yellow of course...

If I ever do build another Stumpy model ('the fourth book in the Hitch-hiker trilogy' to quote Douglas Adams) then yes, I will probably go for a GF-01 derivative, and swap it under the STUMPkamper body - and use the existing 2WD WR-01 chassis under the new build.

Jx

6 hours ago, berman said:

That is pretty cool!

I must admit though, when I read the Kamper bit, I was half expecting an even shorter VW samba bus... :lol:

Hee hee - thank you for your kind words Berman, and funny, you're not the first to think that - SteveU30 also said the same thing back on page 1 of this thread...

Maybe that is a project for another day - although it would be so short and square I'd have to paint it like a Rubik's Cube I think!

Jx

• Like 1

What a great build! I'd love to see a slightly bigger version on a G6-01!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

What a great build! I'd love to see a slightly bigger version on a G6-01!

Thank you Turnip!

Yes, the new G6-01 chassis has a lot of potential - although as I mention at the end of page 1/beginning of page 2 of this thread, I'd really like a six-wheeler truck that would still wheelie on it's middle row of wheels... perhaps I'll get my thinking cap on again ;o)

Jx

edit. Oh no, what have you done... I've just been looking at prices of the Konghead now, and they are dollars for pounds over here in the USA. I fear some excess baggage coming home with me for Christmas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

I'd really like a six-wheeler truck that would still wheelie on it's middle row of wheels...

Fit a strong enough motor and I'm sure a G6-01 could wheelie on its rear row of wheels...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JennyMo said:

Thank you Turnip!

Yes, the new G6-01 chassis has a lot of potential - although as I mention at the end of page 1/beginning of page 2 of this thread, I'd really like a six-wheeler truck that would still wheelie on it's middle row of wheels... perhaps I'll get my thinking cap on again ;o)

Jx

edit. Oh no, what have you done... I've just been looking at prices of the Konghead now, and they are dollars for pounds over here in the USA. I fear some excess baggage coming home with me for Christmas!

What you need is one of these, or at least the rear axle ;)

img33435_13092014221543_6.jpg

6wd, but with only 2 axles. Each of the two back wheel pairs are mounted on a free floating walking beam with gears inside to drive both wheels. The truck pivots freely around the back axles so with enough power an enormous wheelie is quite possible. This one has a 3 speed box installed, and when I had a 4274 1/8 brushless fit in, it would lift the front axle off the ground changing up from 2nd to 3rd :)

It also happens to be excellent off road even without the diffs locked, as the rear wheels can float up and down until the walking beam is nearly vertical, as well as the axle having the usual movement in the leaf springs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MadInventor said:

What you need is one of these, or at least the rear axle ;)

img33435_13092014221543_6.jpg

6wd, but with only 2 axles. Each of the two back wheel pairs are mounted on a free floating walking beam with gears inside to drive both wheels. The truck pivots freely around the back axles so with enough power an enormous wheelie is quite possible. This one has a 3 speed box installed, and when I had a 4274 1/8 brushless fit in, it would lift the front axle off the ground changing up from 2nd to 3rd :)

It also happens to be excellent off road even without the diffs locked, as the rear wheels can float up and down until the walking beam is nearly vertical, as well as the axle having the usual movement in the leaf springs.

Ha ha - yes, I remember that build! I love the idea of the floating 'bogie' style rear end, and like you say, that would make wheelies a possibility without having to pivot the chassis in any way...

You've got me thinking again too ;o)

Jx

20 hours ago, JennyMo said:

I've just been looking at prices of the Konghead now, and they are dollars for pounds over here in the USA. I fear some excess baggage coming home with me for Christmas!

Excellent! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Time for a quick update to this thread, as I can't seem to leave any of my models alone these days!

While I was proud of my Blue Peter roof rails (and side ladder), and felt the painted [silver] plastic checker-plate for the roof also worked well enough (it is mainly covered up by all sorts of accessories after all), after getting more and more into the whole scale detailing thing recently, I thought I'd replace the roof furniture with something a little more robust and even more realistic:

i-Fcxdhhs-XL.jpg

photo. off with his head! The original plastic checker-plate was super-glued on, as were the coat-hanger roof-rails.

i-xq5ZDmT-XL.jpg

photo. new CAD template for the roof panel - this time it will be cut from real aluminium!

i-s9dNhZ4-XL.jpg

photo. the same, only better ;o)

i-V8VqDmP-XL.jpg

photo. roof-rails are now pre-made metal ones - the longer (130mm) the same as the side rails on the ebaYJeep, plus a pair of shorter (70mm) ones for the sides... fixed with M2 screws through the roof.

i-5mCfWVR-XL.jpg

photo. I also took the opportunity to put a few more stickers on the cooler and the fuel drum.

i-kWPHdJd-XL.jpg

photo. and finally, painting the original coat-hanger steps black (then sanding some paint away for wear) to match the new roof rails.

The other thing I did was also replace the original bonnet body pins and clips with magnetic mounts (as I did with Mater recently) - leaving the pins and clips at the rear for added security - especially as this is a wheelie machine!

Hope you appreciate the subtlety of the latest mods - I know Racer Willy does!

Jenny x

• Like 3

I've just added a couple more photos to my showroom entry to reflect the latest additions:

i-GRfx35L-XL.jpg

photo. wing mirrors - created using the mirror housing and lens from some Axial mirrors (I used the brackets for Hopper's HiLux rear lights), mated with some Tamiya steering rod-ends and screws for ball joints.

i-p6Q436k-XL.jpg

photo. as with my other models imported from the UK, the STuMpKaMPeR is now street registered... I chose Idaho for this one as I love their tag line!

Never stop tweaking eh?!

Jenny x

• Like 5