JennyMo

Willy's ultra-STUMPkin - the STUMPkamper!

Ha ha - I knew there would be a movie nerd out there... thanks Steve ;o)

That is only second worst to the surfing scene in Die Another Day - truly the worst CGI in a modern movie I have ever seen...

Anyway, maybe another project would indeed be a Bullhead body on the folding chassis I describe above?!

Jx

• Like 1

Great video of a GF-01 chassis with WW2 wheels here:

I particularly like the slow-mo effects in the edit...

The FJ also looks perfect on the larger wheels... like I needed any more convincing eh?

More soon, time to get the dremel out this weekend I feel!

Jx

• Like 1

Jenny have you ever seen Sin City Motors ? This is just crying out for the same look . Big *** Turbo Diesel sticking out the hood , huge smoke stacks and as Rat Look as you dare go . You could combine it with a bit of Mad Max styling too seen as the 'new' remake of the original movie releases soon . BTW if you do trim away the front light buckets its the perfect excuse to fit some Farm King style retro frog eye lamps .

I'd say from watching that, that the GF-01 is going to kill off the wr-02..... Why buy the 2wd model when the 4wd is so well balanced, given the limitations of the wheelbase. Shall we start taking bets on how long it takes for a 4wd lunch box / WW3 to be released ? :)

I'd say from watching that, that the GF-01 is going to kill off the wr-02..... Why buy the 2wd model when the 4wd is so well balanced, given the limitations of the wheelbase. Shall we start taking bets on how long it takes for a 4wd lunch box / WW3 to be released ? :)

I'd agree - especially if they are the same price... however, Tamiya need to launch a new model with the WR wheels on it... otherwise that's another £30+ on top...

A WW3, now that I'd like to see - perhaps with a detachable hard-top/ [plastic] canvas hood?

Jx

ps. There will always be a place for the RWD WR-02 though - if only as a 'final edition' underneath a STUMPscorcher ;o)

P1010356_zps7ea80868.jpeg

OK then! Time to dust this little project off - I can't believe it was last summer when I was messing around with this one!

So to recap, my idea was complete my 'Cornetto trilogy' of WR-02 based stumpies, with a truck/camper combo that would allow me to really accessorise with scale details...

Having offered up a Tamiya Aeromax sleeper cab to one of my existing WR-02 chassis... I subsequently bought an Expert-Built WR-02 chassis at a great price on ebay when I was in the States at the end of last year, and together with a set of black WR-02 wheels (which now adorn the STUMPscorcher), fitted the VW Bus wheels to my new chassis and set about mounting the shell...

First job was to cut away the headlight part of the front wings, so the tyres would clear:

P1020719_zpshvzruybs.jpg

I had a pair of front body posts that were the perfect length to hold the bonnet at the correct hight, while at the rear I ended up using a VW Bus horizontal body mount, which was strong enough to support the weight of the boxy hard shell:

P1020747_zpsvmdjhnvc.jpg

P1020721_zpscyi6uc1g.jpg

Initially I mounted the body a little too far back, so had to reposition the holes so the body was about a centimetre forward to get a better proportion, while still having enough clearance for the front wheels to turn inside the arches.

Looks pretty menacing from the front I thought?!

P1020724_zps1mkwvcsl.jpg

Although the truck body is a great length for the chassis, it does have to sit quite high so that the wheels will clear the box body on full travel... so in an effort to integrate the body more fully, I created a rear crossmember from styrene - which was angled to reveal/clear the wheelie bar, and also will ultimately provide a really neat location for a pair of sand ladders!

P1020725_zpsnbuovfiw.jpg

Return rear quarter panels to add strength and help hide the chassis:

P1020727_zpsoxh5gqbh.jpg

It was also essential to add some panel-work below the waistline, and fortunately the body set I bought also came with the original side 'skirt' panels, although these needed radically chopping of course!

P1020728_zpsvlwvyuut.jpg

P1020729_zpspipuhtdb.jpg

Lower panels attached with styrene bracing strips... plus front wheel-arches reshaped/lined with styrene off-cuts:

P1020733_zpsw30y3uc4.jpg

The original side steps had to be dramatically shortened, but in an effort to retain a 'factory' look, I have incorporated the original end corners to the trailing edge...

P1020735_zpsyjfsr6j0.jpg

Once everything was glued together with a combination of polystyrene cement, superglue and Araldyte, it was time to add a little body filler and start sanding to shape...

Necessary clearance on full lock:

P1020739_zpsjtyl2klr.jpg

cont.

• Like 1

cont.

So clearly there is still a lot more shaping and sanding work to do before I can start applying the paint, but I am happy with the overall proportions of the body on the chassis now - a few photos:

P1020736_zpsd3jxev36.jpg

P1020740_zps6vj7urmw.jpg

P1020743_zps3no3qeb2.jpg

P1020742_zpsir6ouood.jpg

I will also have to address the rear wheel-arches... not sure what I will do there at the moment, but most likely fabricate something using styrene and go for a more boxy profile?

More soon!

Jx

• Like 4

Another great build right there ;)

Don't ask me why, but this reminds me of a stumpy version of 'Dead Reckoning' from 'Land Of The Dead'...

...Or would that be 'Stump Reckoning' :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Glad to see work has started on this one again. Looking forward to seeing how it develops!

cont.

So clearly there is still a lot more shaping and sanding work to do before I can start applying the paint, but I am happy with the overall proportions of the body on the chassis now - a few photos:

P1020736_zpsd3jxev36.jpg

P1020740_zps6vj7urmw.jpg

P1020743_zps3no3qeb2.jpg

P1020742_zpsir6ouood.jpg

I will also have to address the rear wheel-arches... not sure what I will do there at the moment, but most likely fabricate something using styrene and go for a more boxy profile?

More soon!

Jx

How about something step side like - like the Pumpkin maybe ? As you have a hacked about shell in your stash that might work well

Although I was happy with the overall body shape, something was bugging me about those original truck side panels - they were a little too deep perhaps, and just not really the right shape?

So I removed them and set about fabricating an alternative out of styrene - who knew styrene work could be so much fun?!

P1020748_zpso3movc1x.jpg

I used thin strips to help build up/continue the fender detail on each side, and to add strength:

P1020755_zpsvkd7l5oe.jpg

And then messed around taking a couple of silly photos - I imagine this is what it's going to look like most of the time it's running... it's really well balanced I thought!

P1020754_zpsevhs0nmo.jpg

...and at least it won't flip completely over!

P1020757_zpshhq7qrgz.jpg

Having sanded and shaped some more, it was time to get some primer on to see where I was at... I feel the side panels now complement what I've done with the rear valance better? - certainly the rear wheel aperture is more balanced, and I will incorporate some alternative steps that are more in keeping with the style...

P1020764_zpsclw4wzic.jpg

Close up of the front fender blending... still needs a little more filling and shaping, but it's getting there...

P1020763_zpslsuvxftg.jpg

Chequer-plate panel cut for the roof:

P1020762_zpszu7uucvw.jpg

And now I'm in two minds whether to put a roof-rack on filled with accessories (which was my original 'Kamper' plan), or perhaps go the other way and paint it up as a Dakar race truck... or just bright yellow with TONKA* graphics... decisions decisions!

*Or just a huge no.4 on each side, and a fin on the roof... Thunderbirds style!

P1020767_zpsfhsz4ohz.jpg

More soon...

Jx

• Like 3

Looking great, the valance is much better now. If go for Dakar racer with some suitable decals.

• Like 1

Looking great, the valance is much better now. If go for Dakar racer with some suitable decals.

I'm leaning that way I have to say... there are some nice ones from our friends at Screenprint Digital... the only 'issue' is they are car numbers (the 300's) rather than the trucks (500's)... erm, like authenticity matters when this is stumpy 2WD on monster truck tyres of course! ;o)

Jx

Update 10th Feb 2015: Things are slowly progressing...

Sorted the side steps:

P1020772_zpsgkag9crn.jpeg

... and decided to fill in the cut-outs in the front fenders.

I've also rigged up a mounting for a pair of sand ladders on the rear crossmember... I'm now debating whether to fit the Wild Willy spare wheel on the rear panel too, as it really does help to 'keep it in the family', even though it's woefully undersized of course!

P1020786_zps2piguesd.jpeg

P1020787_zpsmznjws95.jpeg

So a bit more primer and a lot more sanding, and things are finally starting to come together now:

Roof on:

P1020788_zpsarihgm55.jpeg

Front arches trimmed and sanded:

P1020783_zpsninekvqn.jpeg

Wheel-arches clear tyres on full compression:

P1020784_zpsl5ldnmty.jpeg

Looking menacing... now for some paint!

P1020789_zpsikam6hqr.jpeg

I really like the idea/back story that this is an [ex] Dakar Rally truck - certainly at the front end - complete with a barrage of lights across the top of the cab... however, I'm still tempted to paint the rear half in olive drab as a homage to the original Wild Willy donor/theme - as if Willy bought an ex race truck (that typically don't have a substantial rear body, just a silhouette) and fitted an old ex-military radio body to create his Kamper... that way I could still legitimately fit a few accessories on the roof...

What say you?

Jx

• Like 2

looking great . Are those side steps from my old mate Don by any chance ? Don's place on Ebay .

• Like 1

looking great . Are those side steps from my old mate Don by any chance ? Don's place on Ebay .

Hee hee - how very astute ;o)

That's also where I got the sand ladders from...

Jx

Hee hee - how very astute ;o)

That's also where I got the sand ladders from...

Jx

I know my Land Rover parts lol

• Like 1

Great build Jenny, can't wait to see what you do with the paint scheme.

Looking at this, it really wouldn't surprise me to see Tamiya bring out something like this. You really should work in their Product Development department!

• Like 1

Great build Jenny, can't wait to see what you do with the paint scheme.

Looking at this, it really wouldn't surprise me to see Tamiya bring out something like this. You really should work in their Product Development department!

Hee hee - thank you!

Yes, I guess it's kind of a modern-day Bullhead - crossed with a Wheeler on steroids perhaps?!

It seems Tamiya feel there is still life in the WR-02 chassis after all (I will be getting a re-re Wheeler for sure!), and while I have another idea for a 4x4 GF-01 based vehicle, either way I can see their stumpy funny-car range continuing for a while yet...

Jx

Couldn't agree more. The Wheeler will be the 5th 'new' body we've seen on the WR-02 in recent years (Jimny, VW Combi, Tumbling Bull, Farm King - have I missed anything?) so it definitely seems that Tamiya think there's plenty of life (and sales!) in the chassis.

I'm a big fan of the GF-01 too. My next project is also a GF-01 with the 'wrong' body on it.

They're such a nice concept - small, cheerful and massive fun. I think we will probably see quite a few more models on both chassis types. And I still reckon they'd be daft not to make a StumpSco!!! ;-)

Couldn't agree more. The Wheeler will be the 5th 'new' body we've seen on the WR-02 in recent years (Jimny, VW Combi, Tumbling Bull, Farm King - have I missed anything?) so it definitely seems that Tamiya think there's plenty of life (and sales!) in the chassis.

I'm a big fan of the GF-01 too. My next project is also a GF-01 with the 'wrong' body on it.

They're such a nice concept - small, cheerful and massive fun. I think we will probably see quite a few more models on both chassis types. And I still reckon they'd be daft not to make a StumpSco!!! ;-)

Hee hee - maybe I should bubble wrap the shell and send it to them with a nice note...

Jx